Tried various formats and found out what plays and what doesn't play

15 hours is very significant, but it's not like he has to sit there and watch it. Put a disc in, get it ripping, and do something else.
Do something else every two minutes? You're still tied to the computer for that much extra time. I'd rather be listening!

I use another program called Tag & Rename for fine tuning the metadata which I typically do afterwards if I don't like the presets.

Do something else every two minutes? You're still tied to the computer for that much extra time. I'd rather be listening!

I use another program called Tag & Rename for fine tuning the metadata which I typically do afterwards if I don't like the presets.
Or 10 minutes, or 15, or whatever. It's like putting stuff in the dryer. If one dryer drys a load 20 minutes faster than another one it's not that that's some sort of time gain. I don't sit and stare at it drying.
My usual practice while ripping is to either scan the art or search it out online, or do other online stuff I was going to do anyway. The ripping is running in the background. Whether is takes 2 minutes or 3 or 4 is pretty trivial for me.

That tag program looks interesting. Have you compared it to MP3Tag? I've gotten comfortable with it, but I'm open to other programs.
Honestly, I really hate going back to fix tags. I much prefer to just tweak the settings to my liking in the ripper, and be done with it.

That tag program looks interesting. Have you compared it to MP3Tag? I've gotten comfortable with it, but I'm open to other programs.
Honestly, I really hate going back to fix tags. I much prefer to just tweak the settings to my liking in the ripper, and be done with it.

I've used both MP3Tag and Tag & Rename. I prefer Tag & Rename. YMMV.

-Dave

I've used both MP3Tag and Tag & Rename. I prefer Tag & Rename. YMMV.

-Dave
Cool, thanks.
I'm going to give it a try some day. I'm comfortable with MP3Tag, but I find it a bit clunky on the old Vista machine I use for most of my audio tasks.

Or 10 minutes, or 15, or whatever. It's like putting stuff in the dryer. If one dryer drys a load 20 minutes faster than another one it's not that that's some sort of time gain. I don't sit and stare at it drying.
The difference is that you likely will be washing a single load. Not repeating the process dozens of times in a row as is necessary when you begin - where Charles is now.

Admittedly, it doesn't matter as much now that the job is done. I might add two new CDs in a month since I download a fair amount of content.

Have not. It's intuitive and allows for batch tagging tracks in a single album.

The difference is that you likely will be washing a single load. Not repeating the process dozens of times in a row as is necessary when you begin - where Charles is now.

Admittedly, it doesn't matter as much now that the job is done. I might add two new CDs in a month since I download a fair amount of content.

Have not. It's intuitive and allows for batch tagging tracks in a single album.
I think you missed my point.
Unless he's sitting there watching the ripper go, and waiting with the next disc as soon as the first is finished, that extra minute or so doesn't matter.
I couldn't fathom just sitting there watching a ripping program for hundreds, or thousands, of discs, no matter how fast they rip. It's way more of a multi-tasking thing for me.
I'm ripping a disc as I type this, actually.:D

Unless he's sitting there watching the ripper go, and waiting with the next disc as soon as the first is finished, that extra minute or so doesn't matter.
I think one reason why more folks don't convert their CD libraries is due to the time required. Time saved is time saved.

As for me, I found that the minute it took for ripping was enough to ready the next disk in the stack and put up the previous one. I wasn't multi-tasking and interrupting my flow every two minutes.

This seems to have become a ripper thread. The OP needs to solve the problem of playing flac files on the Marantz.

@airtime: are you still no closer to a solution? Have you tried any other media players other than Windows' own? I use MediaMonkey & it rips to flac. These play on my Marantz NA6005.

When entering data, there is plenty of opportunity to put your own personal style into the effort. Which is why if I use automatic tagging, I have to go in and adjust the information to match my style.

I think one reason why more folks don't convert their CD libraries is due to the time required. Time saved is time saved.

As for me, I found that the minute it took for ripping was enough to ready the next disk in the stack and put up the previous one. I wasn't multi-tasking and interrupting my flow every two minutes.
I guess that's just how we approach it differently. I just can't see myself sitting at a computer and doing nothing but ripping. It's almost always a multi-tasking thing.

Which appears to be difficulty with his “horrible” sounding FLAC rip.
Yeah, it just needs to be sorted out what the problem is.
First step is getting a proper, secure, accurate, whatever you want to call it FLAC file, and then go from there. If the OP is wanting to get into ripping stuff to FLAC, he really needs to get the ripper sorted out anyway. Now is the time to figure out a good program, and say goodbye to the Windows and iTunes type programs.

Late to party but interesting diatribe on EAC vs. dBpoweramp.

I don't do much ripping anymore. But "back in the day" I was tasked with ripping an inordinate amount of CDs. In addition to my own library of 1200+, I was also inundated with a constant flow of pre-release promo CDs from indy artists and record labels. I was drowning in CDs that needed to be ripped. I tried/used the gamut of rippers available at the time. EAC was/is top notch yet IMO is relatively/overly/anally cumbersome... even for a geek.

Circa 2004 I discovered dBpoweramp. And thence the case was closed.

The biggie with dBpoweramp which has yet to be mentioned here is that their Reference version ($39-21 days free) allows simultaneous rips from up to 6 optical drives. Back when, I cobbled a simple 6 bay tower with 4 optical drives. On average with dBpoweramp, I was able to accurately rip 75+ CDs per hour. T'was a bloody blessing. Well worth the $29 + what the drive(s) cost at the time.

FWIW, they do have a "free" version but it's not readily disclosed. It lacks the multiple disc rip, tagging, and along with other worthy features but it will do single rips handily. Just download the 21 day trial and once it expires you can still use it as a onezy twozy ripper.

index.php

Last edited:
Many of the db looks ups, for metadata, are wrong, particularly with the free db's out there. That is why Roon costs so bloody much. They are paying to use the record companies own db's for look up and fixing metadata.
:no:

While Roon does pay a license fee on a portion of it's metadata it's...
1). Not all that expensive relative to the cost of the program.
2). It is not sourced directly from the "record companies own db" :rolleyes:

Roon licenses/obtains their metadata from Rovi/AMG* (commercial) and MusicBrainz. (free under CC open source)
*Rovi purchased Tivo Corp. in April 2016 and now heralds it's name under the TiVo business brand. Rovi sold the consumer access of AMG in 2013 but retained ownership of the of the data for B2B licensing.

And just for the record....Roon's metadata has it's share of gripes/problems and is far from perfect. ;)

The biggie with dBpoweramp which has yet to be mentioned here is that their Reference version ($39-21 days free) allows simultaneous rips from up to 6 optical drives.
Even with a single drive as I’ve noted, it can simultaneously rip as many tracks as you have processor cores (four in my case) as opposed to one-at-a-time with EAC.

That facilitated a pretty much continuous process during my large initial ripping.

Even with a single drive as I’ve noted, it can simultaneously rip as many tracks as you have processor cores (four in my case) as opposed to one-at-a-time with EAC.

That facilitated a pretty much continuous process during my large initial ripping.
I didn't realize a drive can read one than one track at a time. How does that work?

When I rip with db it uses two cores.
One for ripping, and then another takes over for FLAC conversion while the first core starts ripping, and then on and on.,,,

OP: did you try the EAC rip I shared with you?

I'd be happy to share my EAC config files as well if that sounds better.

Late to party but interesting diatribe on EAC vs. dBpoweramp.

I don't do much ripping anymore. But "back in the day" I was tasked with ripping an inordinate amount of CDs. In addition to my own library of 1200+, I was also inundated with a constant flow of pre-release promo CDs from indy artists and record labels. I was drowning in CDs that needed to be ripped. I tried/used the gamut of rippers available at the time. EAC was/is top notch yet IMO is relatively/overly/anally cumbersome... even for a geek.

Circa 2004 I discovered dBpoweramp. And thence the case was closed.

The biggie with dBpoweramp which has yet to be mentioned here is that their Reference version ($39-21 days free) allows simultaneous rips from up to 6 optical drives. Back when, I cobbled a simple 6 bay tower with 4 optical drives. On average with dBpoweramp, I was able to accurately rip 75+ CDs per hour. T'was a bloody blessing. Well worth the $29 + what the drive(s) cost at the time.

FWIW, they do have a "free" version but it's not readily disclosed. It lacks the multiple disc rip, tagging, and along with other worthy features but it will do single rips handily. Just download the 21 day trial and once it expires you can still use it as a onezy twozy ripper.

index.php
Now THAT is cool.
I didn't realize that was a thing. Is setting it up complicated?

Back
Top Bottom