Tube amp for Forte's

I wanted to resurrect this thread since I'm in the same position as the OP; having Forte 1's (and ALK crossovers due in January). Currently I'm running a recapped Sansui 5000A but am thinking of getting a tube amp. I read about people raving about Forte's with tubes but I have no way to audition this.

What are current recommendations for a tube amp? (my budget is $1000 to maybe $1500). Considering both new and vintage. I'm wide open to suggestions at this time. I listen to a wide range of music but do need to crank up Led Zeppelin upon occasion :)

Right now Bob Latino's ST70 kit is looking really interesting. Is 35 WPC enough power for Fortes or would I need the ST120? And if I go with this kit then I'll also need a preamp (and want tone controls).

You can find a decent receiver on Craigslist or maybe the bay that has jumpers in the back to work as a pre-amp. I use my AU 717, Sansui Seven and occasionally my AU 555a as pre-amps to my ST70, sounds fantastic. Bonus is the decent phono section and other connections.

Back
Top Bottom