Tube amp ID help

How about dragging it out and getting some more pics? Grab a shot of the bottom as well. Looks like it might be something pretty nice.

BillWojo

Not sure who made it but UTC transformers are high quality. How about a listing of the tube types on each unit. Also, the round glass globe, is that a lamp or a tube?
Sure looks interesting, I know I would have dragged them home myself.

BillWojo

Could be a UTC kit from back in the day, looks like a PA amp with separate power supply and amplifier blocks.

I assume we are looking at 2x 5Z3 rectifiers on one block, and 2x 6L6G power tubes on the other.

Looks late 30's to early 40's to me, the overbuilt power supply was probably to accommodate the old style electromagnetic speakers.

Below is a snapshot from a 1936 UTC catalog showing a similar-layout amplifier to yours.
UTC Trans.PNG
If you can find any UTC catalog from 1938-1941, you just might find your amp.

Hope this helps.

One block has three 6J5 metal tubes, two 6L6G sylvanias, and I am guessing a rectifier tube. No info other then RCA.

Second block looks a little older. It has one 2A3 and one 5Z3 , one 6J7 and something that looks like a lightbulb.

The newer looking block has a label that says Budradio inc.

Ok I guess my question is what is it?

Second block looks a little older. It has one 2A3 and one 5Z3 , one 6J7 and something that looks like a lightbulb.
I would guess the lamp is neon and it's used in a regulated power supply circuit with the 6J7 as error amplifier and 2A3 as pass tube. Regulated power of any sort, possibly to the 6L6 screens in this case, is a mark of highly advanced design in the day.

That's a neon or argon bulb. Will glow orange (neon) or purple (argon).

I
Just 2. My photo skills are not good.
That seems like a 2 chassis amp with the power supply on one and the amp section on the other. That would make it a mono unit, one channel of amplification. Some of the caps are changed out so someone was playing with it. UTC are highly respected trannys and thus also very collectible. So, making another unit to match yours might be very difficult and expensive.

Can you list all the transformer numbers? As an aside, the LS-22 is pre-WW2 with the sandcast cast. It is a hi-fi interstage.

Back
Top Bottom