Tube amp topologies

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by Squidward, May 8, 2008.

1. finom1

finom1 New Member

Hello,
    Thank you, just fantastic job finding this information and sharing it.

Could you please find videos explaining how to identify unknown Power & Output Transformers?

I have 2 - sets of Baldwin Transformers from Hammond Organ 4 - 6L6 Power Tubes. I would like to know how to identify the wiring and be able to test them and know what their capabilities are!!!

Thanks again!!!

Natitude and TENER like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. TENER

TENER Active Member

Here is one on the output transformer by the same person as the other videos

Rococo likes this.
  3. TENER

TENER Active Member

And power transformers

Rococo likes this.
  4. RUmad

RUmad AK Subscriber Subscriber

UNCLE DOUG!!!

TENER likes this.
  5. linuxslate

linuxslate New Member

An "Integrated Amplifier" means it has a pre-amp built-in. There are plenty of tube integrated amps. If it does not have a pre-amp, you will need an external pre-amp for most turntables.

Note that the pre-amp section is most important from a noise point of view. So, IMHO, a tube pre-amp connected to a solid state amp makes (some) sense, (although you will not get the full "tube sound"), but connecting a solid state preamp to a tube power amp makes no sense to me.

One thing (and this part is more a question for discussion, not an answer) is that combining a modern tube pre-amp with a vintage tube power amp does make sense to me.

There seem to be lots of cool tube pre-amps available at low cost, but the vintage power amp hardware can be found at a good price, even if you allow some budget for repairs/modernization.

Some of the modern tube pre-amps use modern solid-state power supplies, but stay pure tube in the signal path.