Tube gurus-What's your favorite 12AU7?

Puma Cat

Well, I think I just found the ideal 12AU7 preamp tube for my C-J PV12, but before I disclose it, I'm curious, those of you that use this tube, what's your favorite 12AU7 ((ECC82)? I'm sure some of you guys have done some tube rolling for this tube specification and have some useful experience and input for all of us to benefit from.

As your preamp tubes will interact one way or another with your power amp and phono stage tubes (if applicable), listing those might be of benefit, too.

Currently my power amp, CJ Premier 11A output tubes are cryo'd new issue Genalex Gold Lion KT88s with NOS Mazda 6FQ78 and GE 5751s, and NOS Telefunken 12AX7 in the phono stage.

Cheers,
PC

Mine right now would be the RCA clear top and the RCA long black plate. But I have never tried a Mullard or Telefunken though.

if you have to use a 12AU7, then the cleartops are quite good.

If the heater circuit can handle the extra load, the best 12AU7 is a 12BH7, though.

Regards,
Gordon.

if you have to use a 12AU7, then the cleartops are quite good.

If the heater circuit can handle the extra load, the best 12AU7 is a 12BH7, though.

Regards,
Gordon.

Thank you Gordon, I had never heard that.

RCA cleer tops, clean,and detailed. Then after that I like the Brimars, altho' that prob means Mullard.

I agree with what Gordon says, but I'll add a few other tubes to consider. If you're willing to rewire or replace the tube socket and you've got the heater current to spare, there are other good choices out there. Looking at the tube specs you'll see the following twin triodes have similar specifications (plate resistance, transconductance, etc.)

6SN7 ... 6CG7/6FQ7 ... 12BH7 ... 12AU7

Remember there are pinout and heater requirement differences amongst all these tubes.

Philips /Amperex 7316, Siemens 5814A, CBS 5814A

Puma Cat,

I use 6- 12AU7s in: McIntosh MX110, MR67, MC240 (2), and Scott 330D (2).

12AU7's I have that are not in equipment:

12AU7 [6] 1, 2, 2, 1 TOTAL: 67

Philips SQ/ by Siemens 5814A -3 mica- DE- NOS
Brimar ECC82 cleartop- GB- NOS
Sylvania JHS 12AU7WA- 6189- NOS 66
HP/ Amperex-- NOS
HP/ RCA- cleartop- NOS
RCA- 5814A- black plate 2 mica- NOS
RCA/ Textronix 2-matched prs "cleartop" NOS
Valvo/ Philips ECC82- dimp disc-Holland -NOS
Valvo/ Siemens E82CC- NOS
CBS 5814A- JHS blk plate- stirrup gtr- NOS 57
RCA cleartop- USED
Amperex Bugle Boy 7316- Holland- NOS 64
RCA “Command” 5814A- NOS
CBS 5814A- blk pl- sq gtr- NOS/Used?
Sylvania 5814A- USA- c.1970
National by RCA- 5814WA- black pl- US- NOS
Siemens- E82CC/6189- 2mica, halo- DE- NOS
Siemens 5814A -3 mica- USED [25
Valvo 6189- RTC- France- db gtr sup- NOS (17,17)
Valvo ECC186/7316- Holland- 1965- NOS [21
Siemens/H E82CC/6189- 3 mica- DE-NOS [13

Overall my favourite 12AU&s':

1. Philips / Amperex/ Valvo ECC186 / 7316 : The Philips 7316 I think is the best all round 12AU7- superb natural refined sound, balanced, detailed, dynamic, effortless transparent bass, while not too forward. There are three versions of the 7316, and by reputation they are all good. Getting expensive. I liked the 7316 so much I bought enough of these to use in every place I use the 12AU7.

2. Siemens triple mica 5814A : The Siemens is energetic, precise, and dynamic, the tube I like to wake up sleepy or softish vintage. Very quiet, with an extended powerful bass. Getting expensive. I also liked the Siemens 5814A so much I bought enough of these to use in every place I use the 12AU7. This tube is also seen as E82CC- and is usually less expensive with that designation. I'm using the E82CC version in the MPX section of the McIntosh MR67.

3. CBS 5814A: The old black plate CBS 5814A is another nice one everywhere I've tried it- vintage nad newer stuff- with a clean, detailed and dynamic sound, excellent, open bass and natural treble. Not expensive. I'm using this one in the Scott 330 tuner.

4. RCA "Command" black plate 5814A: This is surprisingly good - like most RCA tubes does everything well, with a good natural timbre and sense of authority through the whole range, while also open and quiet. Better in modern gear-as it's not as fast as the Siemens These are for me a kind of "sleeper" as they are so good, but still very inexpensive for the sound.

5. The ordinary early to mid 60's Philips/ Amperex/ Valvo ECC82 is really good : smooth, detailed, nice sense of openness, quiet.

So, there are few suggestions. I know the PV10 and not the 12 - and which are different series. I think with the PV12 having the reputation of a more modern and neutral sound my suggestion would be for the Philips-made 7316 or the CBS 5814A

I'm guessing you may find the RCA "cleartop " a bit forward or bright, but that's without any experience of that one in the PV12 of course.

The attachment" A pair of HP labeled Philips/Amperex 7316s

Cheers,

Bambi B

Attachments

• 7316 Amperex HP.jpg
    7316 Amperex HP.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 150
Thanks, everyone for your replies.

Bambi, you have quite a collection, there. I guess I will shop for some Amperex 7316s at some point. Someone on Steve Hoffman's forum where I also posted this query really liked them, also.

My mileage is going to vary, as the cryo'd KT88's in the Premier 11A power amp are tight, fast, and detailed, with punchy bass but somewhat thinner and less full-bodied sounding than the more veiled-sounding EH 6550s, and the TFKs in the phono stage are smooth, detailed, and articulate.

Going to hold off on disclosing the ones I am using now in the PV12 to see if some other folks post their experiences as well.

My favorites are:

Amperex 12AU7 (Heerlen Factory)
Sylvania JHS 6189
GE 5814A (5 star)
RCA 12AU7 (Cleartop)

i have tried telefunkens, mullards, bugle boys, etc.. etc.... the rca clear top is the winner by far! like 'em so much i have 50 of them!

I also really like the Philips/Amperex/Holland made 12AU7s. If it was 12AU7 made in Holland's Philips factory (Heerlen), it's good - even the 1970ish versions, but of course I like the earlier versions the best: the 17MM longplate D getter version from 1958 and earlier, and the 1959-1962 shortplate large O getter versions are killer, too. Very natural and extended, yet with an organic nature that makes them "just right". I've got a sizeable stash of these I like 'em so much - and sound great in a multitude of gears too.

The RCA cleartops come across as a bit too "zippy" up top for me, but the Amperexes are just right.

The Mullard longplate 12AU7 with square getter is another incredible tube on the warmer side of town (yet very clear), but get yer wallets out, cuz they are rare as can be and highly sought after.

I've been rolling a bunch lately and some that Kegger has given me to try, including subs.
The RCA black plates and clear tops sound good, and so do 12BH7s, 6829s, 5963s, and E180CCs.

I haven't found any "night and day" differences, but I'm not that critical of a listener and they all sound pretty nice in my new room. I did try some Mullards and found them a bit flat, at least compared to the others, but they may be a bit hot for some.
One of these days I'll just take the time to roll some in through a couple of songs and see which float my boat the best.

The new tubes that I've been using are Mullard CV4003 12AU7 equivalents; this an NOS matched pair that I bought on that auction site. They are lusher and fuller-bodied than the other tube I've been using in the PV12, the RCA clear-tops. The bass seems to be slightly less tight than the Cleartops, but fuller and a tad deeper, and the high end is not as "bright" as the RCAs, though the clear-tops are not what I would call bright. The Mullards have a deeper and more solid-sounding soundstage, but most of all, they seem "faster", when the orchestra goes "wham!", they go "wham!" really well, more dynamic snap as it were.

They seem very well matched with the cryo'd new issue Genalex Gold Lion KT88's, which are very detailed, open, transparent, with excellent bass, but a skosh thin-sounding and lacking in full-bodiedness. The two together really complement each other.

The Mullards are particularly well-suited to the rather bright-mastered rock LP's of the 70's, etc, but they can be a bit dark on dark-sounding pressings like Norah Jones' Live at Austin City Limits LP.

Overall, though, I really like them...they'll probably become my de facto standard, with me swapping in the clear tops from time to time.

My best are 1952 Westinghouse, carbonized long blackplates, with elongated box getters. Not only are these rare, they blow all of the big names out of the water.

My best are 1952 Westinghouse, carbonized long blackplates, with elongated box getters. Not only are these rare, they blow all of the big names out of the water.

The quality of the stuff from the 50s is top notch. I bet those are amazing.

Any photos of the plates perchance?

For me, it would definitely be TungSol. In particular the 5963 variant of 12au7. Great definition and clarity, but not sterile.
Westinghouse (RCA?) blackplates not too bad either. The Westinghouse would be a toss-up with RCA Cleartops. Close to the TungSols, but a little darker and overall "zing". Worst for me has been Sylvanias. A harsh top end. I would really like to try Telefunken smooth plates. My favorite in 12ax7.

Bronco, These 12au7A are true Westinghouse tubes. They did make them in 1952, they also made a fantastic 7591 also. They carry the mfg. code for Westinghouse 337. At first I thought they were Sylvania, but mfg code for Sylvania is 331. Anyway these are absolutely the best 12au7A's, I've ever heard. I own and have tried many brands, including most of the TOL. These tube are rare to get from 1952.

Back
Top Bottom