TubeDAC-11 Tube Rolling

You can add the Japanese made RCA 6DJ8 (with Mullard production line) to the list of keeps the tonal balance of the stock 6N11 yet does everything better.

Listening on the tube out of course thru my 300 ohm Sennheiser HD540 headphones, Windows 7, foobar, no upsampling, GF ASIO driver. Audition music, classical guitar (more wood) and Brian Adams Unplugged - 18 Till I Die (wicked orchestration), bit more meat, both 44/16 CD rips in flac.

The stock tube does have a very dynamic midrange and exposes more detail.

Cheers,
Ian

And then a customer walks in and says, here try these, no rush :)

John'sTubes.jpg

John'sTubesList.jpg

'I'll be back'

Ian

Received my Jan-Phillips 6922 from thetubestore today. Have been listening to it for about 4 hrs now. As advertised very nice low end, should open up more in about 40-50hrs more.
The one major upgrade is the 100% black background. The DAC11 is pretty quiet unit, but also as advertised this 6922 is amazingly quiet, I turn my amp up and the DAC11 and I have to be about 2" from my speakers to hear noise....scary quiet for sure.

It seems to be giving me some real nice fullness to my vinyl also. Soundstage has opened up more on vinyl and the mids/highs are pleasant, not too much but just enough.
Right now my digital files thru ZuneHD are about the same as the stock tube, I was hoping to get more low end, might be too soon.
My vinyl thru Line Out seems to be more punchy with the bass and a bit louder volume wise, just a hair more than Tube Out.

I'll try and report more in 2-3 weeks.

Initial impressions on the tubes pictured above, again using my Sennheiser HD540's on the Tube Out, your mileage may vary. I use both 24/96 and 44/16 files for auditioning.

The pinched waist E88CC Mullard (#87) is awesome, doesn't change the tonality much just gives a wonderful upgrade across the board, you can use all the audiophile buzzwords here and it does it. Put about 5 hours on it and assume it will just get even better with time.

The Sieman's CCA (#38) was up next, again about 5 hours on it, close the Mullard above, a bit leaner all around, I'd go with the Mullard for the holy Batman response.

Next the Telefunken E88CC (#125). I've put about 10 hours on it and keep swapping out the Stock 6N11 because I can't hear a difference at all, might need more time on it, but at this point it would be a pass and if you are thinking Telefunken 6922 for something else you might want to try the stock 6N11 Shuguang and save some money. I'll revisit this down the road and try the other Tele's next.

As always tubes need time to really show what they can do, Chinese tubes need at least 100 hours, sometimes more. OS (Old Stock) western tubes, often need about 50 hours even if used, they need to break in again if left unused for over a year or so.

Eventually I will do a chart of these tubes and rate them in TubeDAC-11 with our PC-1.5 Power Cable and ASIO drivers. Which is again how I use the 11 with a computer.

Cheers,
Ian

Pavane doesn't make a 6922, although I have been asking them for one for a few years now.

Cheers,
Ian

Aaawww... well that kinda sucks. :( they really should consider producing a 6922.

I'm gonna pick up an Electro-Harmonix 6922 and also try to find an Amperex or Mullard pinched waist.

I've logged approx 20 hours on the EH 6922.. my initial impressions about the sound remain largely intact.. what I'm hearing now is refinement.

Treble has smoothed out & articulated.. the sparkle-to-smoothness ratio is perfect. Treble is crisp, highly detailed, but impressively controlled & extended.

The positioning of the midrange seems almost dead neutral, perhaps ever so slightly recessed. Instrument separation is excellent.. and that slight, tube-y warmth (present in the lower-to-center midrange, but it's quite subtle.. almost imperceptible) blends the mids for a very pleasant listen.

Bass is taut, clean, and neutral.. texturing is impressive.. definitely more nuanced & soft than outright punchy & aggressive.

What truly blows me away is the soundstage of the EH tube.. wow. Enveloping would be an understatement. Imaging is excellent, too. As previously stated, this tube shows off the DAC-11's super 'black background' quite impressively, too.

The EH tube's sound is more airy & clean than lush, liquid, & warm.. its neutrality reminds me of the DAC-11's HO & line out in some ways, in fact.. but the EH sounds more open, immersive, slightly more colored, and possesses a much wider soundstage. The EH is really a fantastic tube, highly detailed, quite neutral with a very very subtle touch of warmth.. all this, while remaining incredibly non-fatiguing.

Ian,

Thanks you very much for the (warmer) tube suggestions.. I've got my eye on the Holland-made RCA you mentioned. If it isn't as warm/lush as I'd like, the Mullard will be next. Considering how happy I am with the DAC-11, I'll most likely spring for the famed 'pinched waist' in a few months.. if I can find one!

Just rolled the Russian EH 6922 into the DAC-11...
Thanks to mickster1972 for recommending me the EH, too.

FlySweep, glad you are enjoying the Electro-Harmonix! The Sylvania JAN is back in my DAC currently and I am loving it.

I saw a pinched waist Amperex on EBay a week ago and almost bid on it, but the auction went north of $100 and I had to make a decision on how best to spend my limited funds. Rolled my own 14 gauge power cables instead (Wattgate connectors, RF ferrite clamps, Techflex and blue shrink tubing), one for the Class D Audio 250W power amp and one for the DAC-11. I am enjoying the rewards of a solid connection and slightly more taut lower end. Plus, they look really cool. :banana:

I've been using an Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 for a couple days. It's a well-used tube from an old o-scope so no break-in required. I'd place it above the stock tube, which is a very good sounding tube as is.

Last edited:
Best deal on the 1960's Mullards is to purchase RCA Labled tubes that also have "Made in Great Britain" on the label and cross seams on the top of the tube. They are cheaper then Mullard labled 6DJ8's/ECC88's and are the same tube. Look at Barter Town here if you are an AK member or on Ebay.

I'm still running a GE 6DJ8 grey glass tube in my DAC-11 and this tube in this Dac, in my opinion, is a very nice fit with a full range and lots of detail. It is not as warm as a Mullard though. It is also available at pretty good prices when compared to the Mullards.

Wb

are the RCA labeled tubes listed as the same ecc88 or 6dj8? I would love to roll one of these other tubes, but I just cant see myself affording the pinched waist, or the Mullards. who knows though. maybe I'll find one at goodwill!! :banana:

Looking forward to ians summery list as well.

I'm new to tube rolling, so I just dont know how to search for them. I'm impressed by you guys throwing all these tube numbers around.

5670wa same?

Quick question you guys may know the answer to. I'm new to rolling tubes, but I'm already obsessed. So, can the 5670wa's be subbed for any 5670 tubes? What does the wa stand for? Thank you for any info.

are the RCA labeled tubes listed as the same ecc88 or 6dj8? I would love to roll one of these other tubes, but I just cant see myself affording the pinched waist, or the Mullards. who knows though. maybe I'll find one at goodwill!! :banana:QUOTE]

You can find RCA labled Mullards designated as 6922, 6DJ8 and ECC88. Some have both designations (i.e. 6DJ8 and ECC88) printed on the tube and box.

Wb

Another tube question: I've seen 7DJ8 / PCC88 tubes listed on the same page as 6922's and 6DJ8's and ECC88's. I think the 7DJ8 are Japanese made, but not sure. Anyway, would these work in the TubeDAC 11? Anyone have experience with them?

wondering if someone can recommend the best bang for buck tube. Broken it down to 3 tubes - JJ E88CC Gold, Electro-Harmonix 6922 Gold or JAN-Philips 6922 low noise. Not looking to constantly roll tubes. Just looking for something that is decent so i can settle on and act as a different taste compared to stock tube.

Another tube question: I've seen 7DJ8 / PCC88 tubes listed on the same page as 6922's and 6DJ8's and ECC88's. I think the 7DJ8 are Japanese made, but not sure. Anyway, would these work in the TubeDAC 11? Anyone have experience with them?

I have never tried the 7dj8 tube but have researched it in the past. The primary difference is the 7dj8 contains a higher heater voltage rating of 7v where as the 6dj8 is about 6v. Essentially 7dj8 would be undervolted used in a circuit designed for the 6dj8. I don't know how this would affect sound quality if at all. I did not bother looking too much into the 7dj8 tube since there are plenty of 6dj8 options.

Old AK discussion on the 7dj8 tube:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39722

wondering if someone can recommend the best bang for buck tube. Broken it down to 3 tubes - JJ E88CC Gold, Electro-Harmonix 6922 Gold or JAN-Philips 6922 low noise. Not looking to constantly roll tubes. Just looking for something that is decent so i can settle on and act as a different taste compared to stock tube.

IMO the JJE88CC Gold is not a good choice for the DAC11....I have it and found it to be too bright and no low end for my tastes. I prefer a more full sound with not boom boom bass, but a good low end.
I put back in the supplied 6N11 and I was brought back to my enjoyment. Then I got the Jan Phillips 6922, reviews called it one of the better lowend tubes and quiet....I do agree it is very quiet and the low end is much better than the E88CC.

And actually the supplied 6N11 is turning out to be a pretty nice tube. I still have the 6922 in though.

Back
Top Bottom