Tubes for Everyman!

Art K.

The Voodoo You Do!
s-l1600.jpg

OK, so with that opening shot I will begin my journey to select a new amp. I am selling off my A/V setup and will hope to buy a new amp for my 2 channel setup. I am thinking tubes but solid state is not out of the question. This amp will be to drive my Harbeth C7ES3's. I don't often listen loud but do occasionally let my hair down. Even then I don't do loud like many of you. I would like an integrated phono stage but could live without it if the price were low enough on the amp that I could buy a stand alone phono pre amp. My budget is $2000ish. Maybe a bit more if it's great stuff.

Some of the early candidates are:

1) Line Magnetic 211IA and 216IA
2) Raven Audio Nighthawk 2
3) Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II
4) Prima Luna Prologue Premium

Last edited:
I am afraid that the LM211IA and Raven Audio amps won't have enough power to get the job done.

Lots of folks say that the Cronus Magnum has a distinctly untube like sound...umm...I'm looking at tubes for a reason!

I like the technology of the Prima Luna, however I had a distinctly bad experience with my last Prima Luna product. That said I am confident that Kevin would make the next experience far better.

The Raven is high priced, to me. Has low power, cheesy speaker binding posts and no phono stage. That said everyone really likes the fella that runs the company. Still, if it ain't enough power.....

There are some very nice restored Eico, Scott, Fisher, Sherwood pieces that float through BT. Probably better than newer offerings though not as convenient (remote, warranty) Just a suggestion

Art, what distinctly bad experience did you have with a PrimaLuna, and what model was it?

Mine is doing great, so far...

Thanks.

Edit: Never mind - I think I got the gist of it from the Raven thread.

Last edited:
Art,

I don't know how strict you are hoping to stick to your budget. But what about a Wells Audio Majestic? Not a ton of info out there yet, but seems like they are something quite special. $3500 list.

- Woody

Perhaps look at Triode and Co out of Japan - they have more powerful offerings than LM and are made by LM and cost about the same as LM.

This one is 45 watts per channel for example - maybe have a look at others from them - they look exceptionally well built in person and the paint job is first class. They have sounded very good with Acoustic Zen at Audio Shows. http://www.triode.co.jp/english/07.html

There is also the Antique Sound Labs AQ1001 Mark II DT and it has remote. 50 watts and 29 in triode which is pretty robust. And to be fair - unlike some - ASL have been around a lot of years now - they're proven amps - so might be worth a a real look based on their solid reputation.

http://www.divertech.com/asl1001dt.html

And there is Audio Space which makes a myriad of tube amps - not all are sold in the west but the prices seem reasonable for the models that are sold in the US.
http://www.gini.com/index.php?id=galaxy88

I'll be watching this thread as hopefully this year I will be upgrading the amp for my LS50s with a tuber.

How about the new Jolida Fusion stuff? They are tube type switchable (similar to Rogue) and I like that the integrates have a direct switch to run them as power amps only. And have read they are more tube like sounding.

Lots of folks say that the Cronus Magnum has a distinctly untube like sound...umm...I'm looking at tubes for a reason!

That's the first time I've heard the Cronus Magnum described that way! :idea: I bought mine about a year ago now and have been thoroughly enjoying it. It definitely has the tube sound - I've got a Fisher 800B to compare it to, plus a score of refurbed Magnavox's.
I wouldn't write off the Cronus Magnum without hearing it for yourself. :)

I'd go with the Line Magnetic 216IA. It will be enough for the Harbeths. It even powered my Quad ESL-63 USA Monitors when I had them. I had an original Cronus (not Magnum) and only after upgrading to the 216 did I notice how lacking the Cronus truly was. Rolled off highs, flabby lows. The 216 just blew it out of the water in every aspect.

That's the first time I've heard the Cronus Magnum described that way! :idea: I bought mine about a year ago now and have been thoroughly enjoying it. It definitely has the tube sound - I've got a Fisher 800B to compare it to, plus a score of refurbed Magnavox's.
I wouldn't write off the Cronus Magnum without hearing it for yourself. :)

It was described that way by a Rogue dealer.

I'll be watching this thread as hopefully this year I will be upgrading the amp for my LS50s with a tuber.

How about the new Jolida Fusion stuff? They are tube type switchable (similar to Rogue) and I like that the integrates have a direct switch to run them as power amps only. And have read they are more tube like sounding.

Thank you for the suggestion however I will be avoiding Jolida.

I'd go with the Line Magnetic 216IA. It will be enough for the Harbeths. It even powered my Quad ESL-63 USA Monitors when I had them. I had an original Cronus (not Magnum) and only after upgrading to the 216 did I notice how lacking the Cronus truly was. Rolled off highs, flabby lows. The 216 just blew it out of the water in every aspect.

This one has me very interested! Priced well and seems to garner a bunch of positive remarks.

Back
Top Bottom