Turntable Dust Cover: Up Or Down

Turntable Dust Cover Position?

• Up

• Down

• It Depends

• Don't Have One

Results are only viewable after voting.
Down the vast majority of the time. Last thing I want is it randomly falling down plus I'd just assume minimize any dust that might collect while playing.

I play music with mine removed, because the cover is actually broken, so there are no hinges, and every once and a while I’ll bump the tonearm when i put it on, and you hear that horrible “SCREEEEEECH” sound that every audiophile and music lover fears. Although dust is a thing here, its not worth the risk to me. I always put it on when I’m done listening, so i think its probably fine.

Dust covers are removed for play, except for my Optonica, where the heavy glass lid is down.

My current turntable ( Clearaudio) is about two years old. It is not made with a cover. I purchased a moulded perspex cover that sits over the entire turntable.
It has small cutouts at back to allow for cords . I put it over when not playing.
Previous I had a Project with hinged cover. I found sound was affected both when it was shut down, and also when it was played open, so I disconnected it from the hinges and would carefully place over after finishing playing.

Although I voted down, I just removed mine altogether and put it back on for protection when not in use. It’s just something that is only semi-secured that can be affected by resonance.

Someone in “the know” instructed me long ago always to listen with the lid up—the dust cover, not the toilet seat. This had something to do with how sound, especially bass frequencies, would collect and reverberate in the corners of the dust cover and present feedback into the stylus. (The official term, I think, is “Screw-Up”.) He also told me never to place my stereo between the speakers; but to place the equipment on the side wall and to the rear of the listening room. What’s Best: Butter-Side-Up? or Butter-Side-Down? Who knows?

I play cover down most of the time but when going through 7" I take the cover off. Just gets in the way when you are changing sides or records every 3-4 minutes.

Usually always 'down'. 'Up' to load a record and clean it off, then 'down' before it starts to play...if i'm playing the entire side. Always down when not in use.
Technics sl1300, dust cover attached, hinges still good.

Back
Top Bottom