Turntable Power On Off POP

MRL_Audio

RIP 2022
Subscriber
Need some help with a new to me table. It’s a Neat P68H. It’s all stock. When I turn it on or off I get a terrible POP thru the speakers. I’ve read there is a way to remedy this but I need some specifics. What do I need and where does it go on the table. I will post pictures later but wanted to get it out here while I was thinking about it. Thanks for looking.

It's usually caused by a film/ceramic snubber capacitor on the switch that went bad. Look for the capacitor, post it's specs and we'll help you find a replacement.

Thanks for the replies. Below are pictures of the underside. I believe the culprit would be the cap on the terminal board. Do I have that right?

Attachments

• Neat_P-68H_U0.jpg
    Neat_P-68H_U0.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Neat_P-68H_U1.jpg
    Neat_P-68H_U1.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Neat_P-68H_U2.jpg
    Neat_P-68H_U2.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Neat_P-68H_U4.jpg
    Neat_P-68H_U4.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Neat_P-68H_U5.jpg
    Neat_P-68H_U5.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 66
I think it is as I don't see another cap. The cap should be wired across the on/off terminals of the power switch. I'm assuming the turntable switches on when the tonearm is swung over to the platter???? (then hitting a micro-switch)

No. The last picture is the switch from the underside. There are two contact leafs that come together. When the switch is rotated to a particular speed power is supplied and the leafs meet. When the switch is moved to a neutral position the leafs do not meet and no power is supplied. You can see them on the bottom. The two gray wires come from the terminal board. One from each of the two board connection points that the cap is attached to. Since I am asking and folks here no more than I... what is the large silver square with three connection points and what is the green round item next to the spindle. Thanks for taking the time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thorough replies. I am playing the table now but will shut it down later in the day and check the printed values. I have searched all over and can not locate any service manual or schematic for this Neat table. They did not appear to be too popular in the US.

Very good possibility that I don't understand, but that sure looks like an AC motor to me, possibly hysteresis synchronous.
In which case a start/run dual capacitor would be needed.
How does a switching mode DC supply even fit into that ?

Here's a few pics of the actual cap in question. Recommendations on a replacement appreciated.

Attachments

• Neat_P-68H_C3.jpg
    Neat_P-68H_C3.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 46
Tom - I take it that the recommended cap is the 75-F17734472000 Vishay / Roederstein? What's the compromise?

Thanks beatcomer. Unbelievably quiet. Tone arm is unusual as well. The arm is a Neat GA-15. The only long term arm issue is the the headshell is unique to the arm and would impossible to replace. Fortunately one came with the table and I got one as a bonus when I bought a Neat cartridge so switching cartridges is not an issue.

Last edited:
I'm planning to get to my rebadged Channel Master / NEAT soon and will have to replace the grommets I'm sure.

Mine has the GA-12 tonearm, cool to see the GA-15.

Back
Top Bottom