Turntable wall shelves at decent price?

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by ClayTune, Sep 21, 2018.

1. ClayTune

ClayTune Active Member

Hey guys,

I am looking for recommendations on hanging turntable wall shelves that don't cost more than my actual turntable. Put it this way, I paid $250.00 for my turntable and need something that can support it on a wall because I moved into a new place that has space limitations and now I need a wall shelf for my turntable.

Links would be great.

Of course my best, highest hope is to find one $100.00 or less but let's see what you guys recommend.

Thanks

ChicagoTom likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Ski

Ski what? Subscriber

I would believe the best option would be a sturdy shelf bracket design from a hardware store, anchor it to where it can hold your own weight, and work on an adjustable isolation platform from ther.

3. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

Lowe's sells poplar in some pretty thick sections. Get some 3x3 inch (I think that's what I used for my stand) and make something like this:

[​IMG]

Use titebond wood glue and screw the pieces together with these to hold while the glue dries and as extra insurance:
    https://m.lowes.com/pd/HeadLOK-0-x-...ior-Exterior-Structural-Wood-Screw/1000404739

These screws are badass. If you screw from the back you won't see the fasteners.

Make a shelf out of ply and veneer or cap the edge if you want and Bob's your uncle. Use a gel stain on the poplar, it doesn't like standard stain much. You could always spend a bit more and get oak or some other prettier wood.

You can use those same screws to lag into the studs in your wall, use a forstner bit to counterbore the hole if you want to cover the screws.

Total investment not counting time will be ~$60-80 or so.

mr.jones, bobins08 and sturgus like this.
  4. Montycat

Montycat AK Subscriber Subscriber

I agree with the above. Making your own is actually fairly easy. There are off the shelf brackets that might do fine too. The 45° brace as above is pretty key.

5. Montycat

Montycat AK Subscriber Subscriber

EngineerNate likes this.
  6. majick47

majick47 Addicted Member

Forget the AK members name who built a terrific wall shelf for around $50, do an AK Google search, if I remember his name I'll update. As for commercial wall shelves the best of the lot are the vintage Target wall shelves that came in standard and large sizes. Another standard sized wall shelf was made by The Sound Organization. Keep an eye on Craigslist and Ebay and AKs Barter Town for preowned wall shelves. As for effectiveness there is nothing better or more practical.

dosmalo likes this.

7. Eastham

Eastham More Class-A than ever!

Microwave brackets! :)

[​IMG]

8. dosmalo

dosmalo T-Totaled Subscriber

Exactly what I was thinking but try an AK search also for DIY.
    I found both of mine 2nd hand, one on eBay and the other on A'gon and both much less than new.

9. Chosemerv

Chosemerv New Member

I used this: https://www.lowellmfg.com/product-tag/fs18-20/
    I purchased mine on eBay for $40 shipped. Flipped it over from what you see in the manufacturer pic, set a wooden shelf that I had from an old stereo stand on top to make it look a bit more presentable than just a large black metal shelf. All told about 20 minutes of work and there's zero disturbance to the turntable when walking. Before I set it up walking on the floor made the turntable unplayable.

Dmitry likes this.
  10. ClayTune

ClayTune Active Member

This looks interesting. It would be more involving than simply buying a pre-constructed system but perhaps worth it. Wood is a great stabilizer too.

EngineerNate likes this.
  11. ClayTune

ClayTune Active Member

Do you have any current links? There does not seem to be any info there, dimensions, weight capacity or a "buy" link.

12. ClayTune

ClayTune Active Member

Thank you, do you happen to have any images from another angle? I can't tell what exactly it is I am looking at in this image.

13. Eastham

Eastham More Class-A than ever!

Extendable microwave wall brackets.

39989531_2389073541132782_5384408359338246144_o.jpg avf-microwave-parts-em60b-a-64_1000.jpg

They work great.

14. Chosemerv

Chosemerv New Member

Does this link work? https://www.lowellmfg.com/product-tag/fs18-20/

I just tried it from my iPad and phone and the link works, specs are there and purchase link.

It is rated for 100 pounds. My turntable is about 30, but if it's mounted to studs or seriously burly drywall anchors I wouldn't be surprised if it couldn't handle the full amount. It's more for commercial use than residential from what I've read.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  15. manu et deo

manu et deo I'm loving it! Subscriber

I was using a piece of butcher block with heavy duty brackets. When I put it back up, I will take a picture of it, I just painted so had to remove it.

16. Dmitry

Dmitry Jazz Freak Subscriber

Great choice! I've bookmarked the page. Methinks you could have two of these installed into the studs 3-4 feet apart, and put a wide counter on them. Combined, they could carry 200 lbs.
    Thanks for the link!

17. luvvinvinyl

luvvinvinyl Lily! Staff Member Admin Subscriber

The link provided was a Search Result. Click on the item to go to the item page.

18. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm using one of these now that I got from eBay for about $40, and it works just great, Very sturdy, though tough to align due to its weight.

audio-ed likes this.
  19. Dmitry

Dmitry Jazz Freak Subscriber

Obviously one must check where the studs run in their wall before purchasing one of these, since the holes are 16 on center.

20. MisterDK

MisterDK Well-Known Member

Just thought I’d mention - Ikea has plenty of shelf brackets too, in case you have an Ikea nearby.