Turntable?

PL-25 is an idler drive - I'm not to crazy on idlers with reports of rumble in some models - not sure on the PL-25.

PL-100 I think is just a basic belt-drive Pioneer. Don't see a whole lot of concrete info on it on the web.

The HK you say has an Ortofon. Assuming it is an OM-series there is a nice upgrade path to those (OM-10, OM-20, OM-30 ... styli are interechangeable).

Remember the HK is not auto-return - only auto-lift ... so at the end of the record it lifts the arm and stops the motor. Uses a light shutter mechanism so no moving parts to interfere with the free movement of the arm.

So far of all the TT's mentioned, the HK still gets my vote!

A mkII series Technics would perhaps make me rethink - mostly due to the KAB fluid damper available for it...

After thirty years of hand-cueing my AR XA and picking the tonearm up manually at the end of each side, I got tired of that part of the ritual. There is nothing wrong with wanting semi-auto or even full auto turntable operation. I'm currently using a fully-automatic Technics SL-230 in my main system, and I have a semi-automatic SL-1700 waiting in the wings that will replace the SL-230 if it sounds as good or better.

If that is what works for you, then cool. :yes: The Sl-1700 is a very nice TT.

Sucks when I decide on a table it seems to disappear. Or the seller stops responding for no reason. Any suggestions in the Seattle area. Looking on Craigslist.

Back
Top Bottom