Two Channel Therapy

Finally got some sleep :). I have been slightly tweaking the speaker placement with good results. Initially I followed Jim Smith's recommendations from his book with the Shanling Amps in the system. I was always a little curious if the speaker placement was only room dependant or if other equipment was also involved. After trying a reset on the speaker placement and incremental movements in position I have acheived a new positioning. It actually is within 1 inch between speakers and 3 inches further back towards the wall (now 33 inches off where is was previosly 36.) I have to admit this could all be my perception of the room and have no influence from the change between the Shanling SP80s and the VAC PA100/100, but is was a fun excercise. I am now sure the Shanlings will be looking for a new home, though I still admire the EL34 sound.

Great looking setup, would love to try a tube amp someday...the ones I have heard In other systems were beautiful sounding.

System update:
I sent the PA100/100 to VAC for the phi300.1 front end upgrade 14 days ago. I just received an e-mail from Kevin Hays that the work is complete and it is waiting for its review (personal playing session/review) with him on Monday before he will ship it back. I had put my EL34 based monoblocks back in the system for the time and enjoyed them, but I am excited about getting the VAC back. Since I am just across the state from VAC it only took 18 hours for UPS to deliver the amp to them and I am hoping that the return trip is just as swift and damage free.

What's the little additional shelf below the cd player and preamp for? Was there not enough room above the amp for your liking?

Thank you for your kind remarks. As far as the small "shelf" area I thought that extra space would allow for better ventilation for the KT88s so I put in the frame piece, but no actual shelf. After it was all together I realized it was probably not necessary. How are the "Hills" treating you shodulik? Born in Kirtland and raised in 44116 before the move to the sunny south.

The whole setup looks fantastic. Everything just seems to compliment each other perfectly. What a zen-like room.

System update.

My VAC PA100/100 had a small issue with a KT88 that decided to end its useful life prematurely and take a couple of resistors with it about three weeks ago. I packed the amp off to VAC and while it was in for the repairs I decided to do the phi 300.1 front end upgrade that I had previous discussed with Kevin Hayes. After 10 days the initial work was done, but Kevin actually end up keeping it a few additional days after the repairs and upgrades were thought to be completed since he was not personally satisfied during his listening evaluation. Each VAC instrument, new or repaired, must pass his personal audition prior to shipment. I am not sure of the additional adjustments or changes that were performed over the next week, but the amp ultimately reached its expected performance it was released. The entire repair/upgrade took less than 30 days from the time I shipped it to the day I received it back.

I received the amp back mid-week and have just now had some time to do some extended listening. The overall improvements are not subtle and I loved how this amp handled music before. I know the new circuitry is not fully settled in yet, but each album side has been an amazing treat and the digital has an equally improved presentation.

A few changes to update on this sadly neglected system thread. I upgraded the Origin Live TT power supply transformer and have changed the rack to a 4 shelf Billly Bags. The cables have all been changed to Audience AU 24e except the power cables which are Audience PowerCord e plugged into Audience aR1p and aR2p conditioners. The Sumiko Blackbird found a new home in Texas and was replaced by a Benz Micro Ebony H that I recently had retipped by Sound-Smith. Last and most recent a pair of Thiel CS 2.4s are now in the primary system. I also have acquired the VAC Divinyl phono step up that is paired with a Denon 103D and sharing time with the Benz.

The soundstage has become wider, deeper, and at the same time more focused with the Thiels. In addition the Audience cables provide excellent clarity and a very uncolored presentation. I tried Cardas Golden Reference speaker cables for a short period, but they did not integrate well with my system. I am very happy with the system at this time.

Self Prescribed Medication:
VAC Standard LE with MM phono, VAC PA100/100, Origin Live Aurora Mk2, Origin Live Silver, Sumiko Blackbird, Lector CD 0.6t, Zu Libtec SC, Zu Wylde ICs, Zu Mother PCs, VPI 16.5 RCM, ATS Acoustics room treatments and the Stressless Recliner

Great to see systems of this caliber being displayed.

Thank you all. It has taken a long time and patience to put this system together. Everything was purchased gently used except the CDP. I have focused on moving my purchases to products with strong company support which has allowed for a few updates/checkouts of the equipment. VAC has treated me just like I bought one of their $20000 plus dollar pieces with excellent advice, upgrades, and reasonably priced service in a timely manor. I have received support from all the other companies, though I will say dealing with Lector in Italy requires a lot of patience as nothing moves quickly with them, though there is positive outcomes.

Added a REL Strada III to the system. I acquired this beautiful cherry veneer unit a few months ago and proceeded to damage the plate amp through a loose IEC receptacle that shorted when I removed the power cord :(
I contacted Sumiko who directed me to my local dealer. The dealer picked up the unit at my home, shipped the plate amp to Sumiko for rebuilding, reassembled and tested the sub, and returned it to me. They charged a small fee at the original pickup and then ....... that was it. I was anticipating additional costs and was thrilled. My hats off to Sumiko and their dealer, Superior Sight and Sound, for handling this on a well out of warranty, none first owner unit.

It has taken a while to integrate it with my Thiel CS2.4s but with the crossover set at 25hz, 0 degrees phase, and the high level volume at 8 o'clock the system now has an amazing foundation. I don't realize the sub is present until I turn it off.

They say music is the best medicine.

While I am on AK, I am listening to some Classical Guitar at low volume. It has been a tremendous help as I have been highly stressed all day, while operating on only two hours of sleep last night.

Love your gear(s). I have always waned to try a pair of Thiels but the timing has never worked out. Enjoy your therapy as often as you can. :music:

First time I've seen bookshelfers with that kind of tweeter.
What exactly is that kind of tweeter?

Back
Top Bottom