Two Channeling With Zeus and Leo

A few updated pics. Flip flopped the amp and preamp and added some more lights to the cabinet.

5973072676_f14bf608dd_b.jpg

5973073864_7f834420a3_b.jpg

5972517173_63b15d36ac_b.jpg

My listening partner apparently approves..

5973078232_9de2563cf3_b.jpg

Last edited:
Great system and fantastic pictures.

In the last picture Zeus seems to have achieved audio nirvana.:yes:

Goddamn! That's a beautiful system in a beautiful room! The VPI looks gorgeous! :thmbsp:

I've viewed this thread several times, so I figure it's time to post...

Just want to say this is my favorite system on AK. (Based on looks alone, of course, as I cannot hear it... but I'm sure it sounds magnificent.)

I love everything about this setup: the room size, the furniture, the flooring, the windows, the "style" of the chosen gear, the lighting (it looks incredible in the dark), etc etc etc. The dog is cute too, but I am partial to Golden Retrievers!

I tend to be attracted to vintage gear for looks and modern (or older-but-not-quite-vintage) gear for performance, and this system strikes the perfect balance. It's as modern as they come, but there is a great vintage vibe to it.

What can I say, it just hits all my buttons. Well done!

Please update frequently with new pics!

Eric.

Thanks Eric. Your post definitely made my day.

As you rightly point out, I find aesthetics to be an important part of the equipment I choose. I've always been a fan of classic, timeless designs, something which I feel the Accuphase, VPI and Cary gear all share. Finding speakers that could fill the room with sound and not size was a tougher task, though.

I'm also lucky enough to have the right room to show them off. Just ordered some window treatments to tame it a bit. I'll be sure to post some new pics once they're up.

Thanks again for all the kind posts,

David

You have great gear. ! I don't know if you are totally happy with the speakers but those electronics deserve better speakers,IMO. Focus Audio (drivers made by Peerless) is a good speakers but all floorstanding speakers using small bass drivers never will give you the last note, even when they claim to be hi-end.
Congratulation.! You have a beautiful stereo system. By the way, Don't you listen to CD in your main system ??

Thanks DV. I do listen to cds, but they're all downloaded onto my Mac Mini's hard drive (in AIFF), which is connected to my benchmark DAC via the Mac's optical out. I run it "headless" and use either my iphone or my ipad to control it. Here's a pic:

6178626638_048c873b35_b.jpg

Regarding the Focus Audio speakers, I think they're fantastic. I probably spent more time listening to speakers than any other piece in my stereo before buying them. I tried Dynaudios, Paradigms, Theils, etc, etc, and none of them impressed me the way the FA's did. They do not use Peerless drivers - they use a Scan-Speak Revelator tweeter and two Eton drivers. Yes, they don't go down as low as a true full range, but my room simply isn't big enough to handle a bigger speaker. The Etons are super fast, and the Revelators have some of the smoothest highs you'll ever hear. The same tweeter is used by many well known speaker manufacturers, including Wilson, Sonus Faber and Spendor. If you ever have a chance to audition them, I think you'd be shocked at how great they sound.

Agree with what others have said, nice overall effort on all fronts. Looks like you can get off the upgrade train for along time, not sure what would need any upgrade now, maybe a tweek here or there.

OMG, Accuphase makes some nice stuff, be still my heart.

The hound is great too, had to laugh when a few of the guys described him as cute, not sure guys should call a dog cute, sounds like something a woman would say. Not sure cute and a bulldog go together anyway.

Turntable tweak - swapped VPI's acrylic platter for their heavier aluminum one. Initial reaction is that it's slightly more detailed than before. By the way, VPI was kind enough to let me have it for $0 - I needed to replace the spindle piece that inserts in the middle of the acrylic version (long story), and VPI was kind enough to send me the $800 upgrade for free! It took months to get it, but you won't hear me complaining. That's customer service that's simply unheard of these days.:D

Here's a pic..

6488593085_ab6f692bed_b.jpg

And Zeus clearly approves...

6488615721_192a77c686_b.jpg

Turntable tweak - swapped VPI's acrylic platter for their heavier aluminum one. Initial reaction is that it's slightly more detailed than before. By the way, VPI was kind enough to let me have it for $0 - I needed to replace the spindle piece that inserts in the middle of the acrylic version (long story), and VPI was kind enough to send me the $800 upgrade for free! It took months to get it, but you won't hear me complaining. That's customer service that's simply unheard of these days.:D
I've had similar experiences with VPI. An old fashioned firm in their dealings with customers, unlike most. QUAD, under it's original ownership was just as helpful, sadly no-longer I hear.

As usual, beautiful photography (and gear, of course). You are a master at using light. I am humbled.

Back
Top Bottom