Two runs of speaker wire to one speaker?

I have a set of Tara Labs Prism Bi-wire speaker cables connected to a set of speakers with a single set of posts. They work.

you should unzip the 2 pairs. .then do a quad braid. This will equalize the reactive inductances and balance the harmonic loading between the positive signal and ground.

Harmonic loading? Can you explain that one? I know what inductance is but this one whooshed right past my head.

I think he is talking about cable resonance and or harmonic distortion that the cable induces. Not going any deeper on the subject you can find info on google, as for me not gonna worry about it.

toxcrusadr and Tim64: How do either of you know if what I said makes sense or nonsense?
I don't ergo the "I think" part of what I said. There are quite a few speaker cables out there that use a multi braided wire so, I would "guess" in your opinion these would also suffer from harmonic loading.? Just curious of your opinion. Also if the OP twist the cables together do you believe that would eliminate the issue of uneven capacitance?

Last edited:
Read my edit I put it in while were typing evidently. Was just curious to your thoughts on the matter I'm going to just spectator here and play nice.

Lowering the impedance of your wire is ALLWISE better it may or may not makes difference to your system depending on everything, but the simple answer is in this case “bigger is better”

So how heavy must it be before it stops mattering? And if the cables are of abnormally high capacitance, they're not going to be of much good regardless of how heavy they are. Such cables have even proven destructive to certain amplifiers.

I was always under the impression that the lowest resistance and capaciance is what you shoot for.
1g would be fine except a pain in the butt to run for obvious reasons.

The bi-wire thing was explained to me in the the larger drivers can induce tiny voltages through over travel that can create audible distortion through the tweeters. I guess running a separate pair of wires back to the amp before the woofer and tweeter wires meet is enough time for that bit of voltage to go away some how? I dunno.
B&W recommends bi-wiring on every pair I've had so there is probably something to it. I can't say I really noticed a difference though. I might try to add and pull the jumpers now that I'm curious.

Another example of why cable discussions almost always get moved to Cutting Edge. If you're not familiar with this forum, read the forum sticky before posting in this thread.

Two sections of speaker wire from one amp output to one speaker input. Two runs of wire that terminate to a single end at each end.

Anyone do this?

I have lots of 14 gauge and my binding posts will easily accept TWO 14 gauge cables twisted together to a single termination point.

The two 14 gauge cables twisted together would be the equivalent of what, a single 10 gauge?

Anyhow, what are your thoughts?

Worthwhile? Pointless?
I am sorry that efzauner hijacked your thread with a bunch of nonsense that I was trying to make him back up with examples. Evidently his purpose was to just stir the pot. Anyone who read his last post before it got deleted is him admitting to doing just that. A couple lines before I called him out not so nicely and it also got deleted. This kind of trolling is not in the spirit of AK and I hope efzauner gets suspended for a few days or just goes away I put him on ignore myself. Keep experimenting and have fun all.

after efzauner said:
"
and 3 of my posts were utter made up BS. The first one I admitted as much. Nobody called me out on the 2 others.
That is the state of audio today. I made my point.
Have a great day!"

I saw this post, then went through and deleted all his garbage posts in the thread early today, just on general principles!
Such crap! I, like you, prefer to have real conversations with real people I can respect,
instead of have arguments with trolls posting made-up-junk for their own little jollies.

Sorry if I knocked the conversation, I was trying for a more civilized housekeeping.

Last edited:
It looks to me that bi-wiring is just moving the jumpers from the speaker posts to the amp/receiver end.

Correct - with 2 sets of cables.

I think the OP was asking about running 2 Sets off 2 different posts, tied to a single set of binding posts on the actual speakers. A little different. :)

My cables are made up of 6 single runs of 16g, 3 each way, and round braided. 11.5g combined. They sound distinctly better than the 12 they replace. Elsewhere I've argued against the idea of using super sized single cables. You start getting up into the single digits wire gauges and they begin clearly showing significant inductance. Capacitance isn't that big of a deal to over come since the values are small and most amps have damping factors that'll sop that up, but high inductance raises the impedance at higher frequencies. Generally, good cables aim to get the inductance way down, often at the cost of higher capacitance. If you're looking for very low capacitance, lamp cord is actually good stuff. I personally believe anything over 14g should be made of multiple conductors. The audible difference between identical lengths of my 6 connductor cables and 2 12g conductors is obvious. The highs and mid-range are distinctly clearer with more air and detail. I think using multiple smaller conductors is an excellent approach. An amp that has trouble driving that extra capacitance is a questionable amp. Most modern speakers are much more reactive than the cables they're connected to.

To the op, are you asking about running cables from "speaker output A, and speaker output B,to one pair of speakers?
If this is what you are asking,my thinking is you'll be putting undue stress on your amp. If I under stand this correctly,your amp will see the load cut in half. 8ohm speaker will be seen as 4ohm. This could possibly cause some problems with the amp when you start to push the volume.

That is not exactly the way it works

Leaving out to change in inductance and capacitance the load will remain the same except for the slight reduction in the overall resistance of the wiring from the amplifier to speaker

So this isn't like when a stereo amp is bridged?

In general one would have to do something special with the input signal throughout the amplifiers right and left channel that is to be used in a bridged mode

Again in general using both the A and B outputs of a stereo amplifier to drive a single pair speakers by paralleling the runs of wire to the speakers will maintain the impedance of the speakers being driven

To be clear if one where to use an amplifier that was capable of being bridged and then put it in the bridged mode your assumption is correct the load as seen by the amplifier would be half of the load to which it is connected

Back
Top Bottom