Two satisfying systems

lightcapture

I have posted some of these components in the past but can't remember the details of when I posted them.
Not to be redundant, these are the 2 complete systems I've been using for a while now and I'm quite satisfied with the sound.
I do like basic elementary systems w/o out a lot of equipment. When I make a change I sell off what I don't need.

The main modern system in our living room is for TV, music, and movies.

whole system 2596.jpg
rack R 2586.jpg
inside back angle2605.jpg

The secondary vintage system in our guest room is for FM radio play only.

system full grills2631.jpg
system no grills2627.jpg

Last edited:
I do like basic elementary systems w/o out a lot of equipment.
Ditto. I'm not and never will be a fan of vintage equipment, but will give you major "props" for your modern system - especially since it features what appears to be a rather unique radio antenna.

Thanks for your comment KDAC. I'm likewise prone to owning modern gear, because the advantages of modern electronics and speakers can clearly be heard. This most basic early '80s vintage system complements the guest room decor and sounds quite nice for radio since vintage receivers had nice tuner sections when FM was king. By the '80s solid state amplifiers and speakers had improved a fair amount too.

Both systems are gorgeous. Love those phone line insulators. If you feel like it, could you list the equipment?

Thanks Spitfirejoe. I should have listed the equipment, after all this is an audio forum.

Modern system:
Consonance C-100Plus 120wpc integrated amp (Hegel H1 amp behind Consonance faceplate)
Yamaha BD-S677 universal player
Rotel RT-940ax tuner
Seas Froy mk3 speakers kit (built up in Paragon Radiant cabinets)
Kimber Kable 4TC speaker wire & PBJ interconnects
Sanus System rack

Vintage system:
Pioneer SX-3700 45wpc receiver
Fried Q/2 Signature Series speakers
Monster Cable XP 16ga speaker wire
Target Audio rack and stands

Last edited:
Both systems are gorgeous. Love those phone line insulators. If you feel like it, could you list the equipment?

You could still connect a Chromecast Audio of a bluetooth receiver gadget to the guest bedroom set for a quick and easy source addition to pull in your digital music files or streaming. Heck, even a simple 3.5mm jack split to RCA for a physical connection. None of that should add any ugly wires etc to the scene.

You could still connect a Chromecast Audio of a bluetooth receiver gadget to the guest bedroom set for a quick and easy source addition to pull in your digital music files or streaming. Heck, even a simple 3.5mm jack split to RCA for a physical connection. None of that should add any ugly wires etc to the scene.
I had mini-jack to rca interconnect for a phone as source with the vintage system, but its just for FM on occasion. I'll put it back if guest wants to use it.

Last edited:
fascinating driver retrofit
Thanks. It was a great project to work on. Had to install proper size bass port, 4"x 6" removable rear binding post panel w/ attached bi-wire x-over, and spiked bottom base plate. Cabinet design was excellent w/ 1" mdf construction, gasketed front baffle, and extensive internal bracing. I sourced components and x-over from Madisound and wired internals w/ QED Silver Profile 12 speaker wire.

I purchased a Rotel RA-931 integrated amp off ebay and I'm waiting for delivery. Looks like I'll be taking Rotel tuner out of the main system and using with newly purchased Rotel amp to use in the guest room. I'll be parting with the vintage Pioneer receiver and keep my eye out for modest priced B&W speakers (DM303 or DM601) to mate w/ Rotel electronics, which mean the Fried speakers will also be going. I may as well add a Rotel RCD-970 or 975 20bit cd player while I'm at it. All 3 components will nestle into the Target Audio rack combined with smaller monitor speakers, giving a more discrete appearance in the guest room. Funny how a little purchase can cause all this havoc. I'll follow up in a week when the amp arrives.

Sold my beautiful Pioneer receiver yesterday and received the Rotel amp today. It wasn't in as good shape as listed, but sounds wonderful. More dynamic, clear, with better bass and smoother highs, plus a more distinct soundstage are some of my first impressions.
Black isn't as pretty but it disappears in the corner of the guest room. A Rotel RCD-970, 975, or 971 cd player and smaller B&W DM-601 speakers will be next to complete this little unassuming 'guest room system'.

New photos of updated guest room system
whole front2689.jpg
System MS no grills2692.jpg
Rotels2690.jpg

Last edited:
Wowee beautiful systems. Nice Fried speakers, have always wanted a set. Rotel gear is incredible congrats on the integrated you got. Had Rotel several times and was always blown away by them.

Back
Top Bottom