tx-1000 tuner

jstewa77

I read all over the net how great the tx-1000 is so I got one.. even with a powered antenna it will not receive the strongest station in town from approximately 10 miles away.

So I got a second one assuming the first to be broken, with a dipole or powered antenna it will give me 1 bar of signal strength on the same high power station and no other stations.

I have at least a dozen receivers and tuners that work WITHOUT antennas.

Is there a common age related problem to check?

Any big buildings or powerstations around you? There are lots of things that can interfere with decent reception. (Around here, I think it's the 7 or so mile-long 200-ft tall grain elevators).

That said, I've not been all that happy with the TX-1000 I bought new--since I moved to the boonies. It was fine in a large metropolitan area with lots and lots of stations, but back in the boonies where I grew up listening to even far away stations on my little transistors, it picked up almost zilch with a dipole. I finally put up a rooftop antennae and it gets respectable reception from about 150 miles away. Until I did that about 2 years into this place, my selection was approximately 3 local Christian radio stations. So the thing sat turned off for 2 years.

I have an older Yamaha tuner (digital, silver-faced)--too lazy to go look at the model, but it *always* picked up anything, even here, even with just a dipole, so most of my radio time was out in the garage where it lives. I might use it in the main room instead if I thought I could paint it black nicely enough. :D

I just put a T-7 in the bedroom, but it's working off the same rooftop antennae and I've no complaints about it, other than that itty bitty tiny print on the dial. Thank the Yamaha gods for a few motorized preset buttons. :ntwrthy:

Last edited:
There are two antenna inputs. Do you have the right one selected? Also make sure the RF attenuator is not on. Are you using a PAL adapter or a push on F? Its a PAL and you need to use the correct connector or you will lose signal strength.

The signal meter is a signal 'quality' meter and not a strength meter so you might not get much on the meter and still have great reception. Using a dipole, I haven't seen much over 40 on the meter in a suburban location.

I bought a TX-1000 that was completely messed up. I have seen a surprising number of people posting about TX-1000 problems. Most Yamaha tuners are quite reliable but maybe the TX-1000 is more prone to problems?

Hi. I both of mine have 75 ohm unbalanced inputs. I looked up pal adapters and there is no way one of those would plug into these antenna inputs. These have a tiny center hole, the pal adapters appear to have hollow cylinder for the center pin.

I did check for antenna selection and tried multiple dipoles and the powered antenna on both inputs of both tuners. Maybe they are both broke or maybe all the net praise is from sellers.

Thank you

There are two antenna inputs. Do you have the right one selected? Also make sure the RF attenuator is not on. Are you using a PAL adapter or a push on F? Its a PAL and you need to use the correct connector or you will lose signal strength.

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/yamaha.html

Contradicts the resident tuner expert PunkerX :ntwrthy:, saying it's a push-on F-connector. I'm not at home now to look, but I don't recall using a PAL adapter on the TX-1000, unlike some of the other earlier Yamaha tuners (T-80/T-70?)

Something's wrong. The TX-1000 is a great tuner and should spank just about anything else you have.

Indeed, a properly working TX-1000/2000 (same tuners, different color) is an excellent tuner. You seem to have a couple of bad ones. The signal 'strength' meter on mine does not go over 1/2 of the segments on any signal. My T-85, very similar internally, goes much higher on the same signal. Both sound the same. Get a pair of rabbit ears. If you can't put up a yagi it is the next best antenna. My TX-1000 is stock and has an F-connector and not a PAL.

are you using a correct connector?

I read all over the net how great the tx-1000 is so I got one.. even with a powered antenna it will not receive the strongest station in town from approximately 10 miles away.

So I got a second one assuming the first to be broken, with a dipole or powered antenna it will give me 1 bar of signal strength on the same high power station and no other stations.

I have at least a dozen receivers and tuners that work WITHOUT antennas.

Is there a common age related problem to check?
straight co ax connector will not work . I'll buy one of them for cheap if you can't figure it out.You will not get any signal w/o something plugged into antenna imput on this yamaha.

My T-85 is fine on a dipole as long as it is sort of close to the outer wall.

Picking up stations without antennae is a bug not a feature; just means the tuner isn't well shielded...just one opinion.

I did a Google search on the TX-1000 since the OP said he'd seen numerous postings of similar issues. I did find more than a few, too, indicating the same issue, but no posts with any definitive fixes or even definitive diagnoses. One guy reported having three units with the same issue. (If two turned out bad, I sure as heck wouldn't go for a third!)

Because everything you read on the internet is true and written by an expert...

Ok.. f connector.. been while since one has been in the shop. They are still wanky connectors. I've had to fix quite a few TX1000/2000's, strange tuning issues. One and an issue in the antenna switching circuity. When they work they are great, when not, they are a PITA.

Because everything you read on the internet is true and written by an expert...

I haven't a clue what you're point is there really. The bit I read with the guy with three TX-1000s was a post quite like the OP here--a guy inquiring in a forum quite like this, who had three units with the same issue as here, seeking technical help, just as here. What would be the point of such a discussion if it were *not* true?

Reads as if the TX-1000 has a 'common' component that is failing/drifting in many units. Too bad, it can be an excellent tuner. Bob, who posts here infrequently and runs the TIC and FMTuner Yahoo group did quite extensive work on the TX-1000 at one point. If you join the group and do some searching in their archives you can read most everything about the TX-1000 and he may have covered the problem. On the PAL vs F-connector, on casual observation the antenna connection could easily be mistaken for a PAL connector as it is a Yamaha design and 'non-standard' looking, having a black plastic insert that is counter-drilled to help guide/seat the center conductor of an F-connector. Not sure it works better, but is different looking.

one more try

Sucker that i am, i really want all the good reviews to be true so i have a 3rd on the way. The deciding factor was the remote included with this one, not that i really need it, but the completist in me wanted it.

Third time is the charm right? The first two are going to eventually visit the repair shop, hopefully he can get one fixed.

My T-85 is fine on a dipole as long as it is sort of close to the outer wall.

Picking up stations without antennae is a bug not a feature; just means the tuner isn't well shielded...just one opinion.

I live out in the boonies and my T-85 does fine with a dipole as well.

Well the third one works great with the same antennas and in the same spot.

If anyone ever reads this and knows of a common issue with the tx-1000 that causes nearly no reception please enlighten us.

Back
Top Bottom