U-Turn Audio’s $150 Orbit turntable- pic

A guess a minor update, noticed a very slight change on the website page...a couple of new & different pics of the turntables. They look nice:

green.png

black.png

This looks great for the price. I really don't need a TT but may buy one just to see what its like and to support some young entrepeneurs.

I think it's at the price point where it would send those awful Crosley turntables packing. I know a certain Record shop/chain in Toronto that sells those ****ing Piece of shit Crosleys, that should place one of these on display right next to them and sell them for the same price range ($150 approx). Even the most clueless shoppers would be able to tell the difference in quality (physical would be a huge difference, let alone sound which would be even more)

It can't be a coincidence that 90% of the Turntables in the sub-300$ range (new, not used or vintage) look like toys. Obviously we don't know how it sounds yet, but this looks like it takes itself seriously and that alone gives me a lot of confidence.

I see that a dust cover will be an option if not supplied OEM and it ships with an O'fon Omega. All good stuff.

I picked up an Ion when they first came out. I wasn't very impressed.
This looks 10X better. I'd like to see one first hand...

Here's a reply I received from them when I wanted to know if it had cueing. I'm sure they won't mind my posting it here.

Hello,

The Orbit will be cued manually. Initial upgrade options will include an acrylic platter in place of the standard MDF one, and cartridges from the Ortofon OM series, in place of the Ortofon Omega. Other special offers will include limited edition colors and hand painted plinths. Thank you for your interest, please do not hesitate to ask any further questions.

Best,

Peter Maltzan

U-Turn Audio

Here's a reply I received from them when I wanted to know if it had cueing. I'm sure they won't mind my posting it here.

Hello,

The Orbit will be cued manually. Initial upgrade options will include an acrylic platter in place of the standard MDF one, and cartridges from the Ortofon OM series, in place of the Ortofon Omega. Other special offers will include limited edition colors and hand painted plinths. Thank you for your interest, please do not hesitate to ask any further questions.

Best,

Peter Maltzan

U-Turn Audio

Regarding cuing, here is a video (found on Well Tempered Lab's blog) demonstrating cuing without a lever:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pranka/3852871114/

Regarding cuing, here is a video (found on Well Tempered Lab's blog) demonstrating cuing without a lever:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pranka/3852871114/

Looks risky but I think I could do it :D Probably shouldn't be any drinkin' involved when trying to use the Orbit though.

I'm going to have to print out another protractor. While it'll be nice to get an Ortofon OM series cart with the turntable I'd rather use my Grado Green.

Hopefully we have modern ARXA on our hands! :yes:

Sans the plastic headshell of course.

Ben aka MacKat

Manual cuing makes me nervous, I know there's plenty of guys here who do it but the arm is there on most turntables for a reason. At the very least I can think of a few potential advantages to cuing with the arm, and only possible disadvantages when doing it manually.

I don't have a problem with manual cuing with conventional arms, but with a unipivot, there will be period when the arm is settling down into correct alignment after the arm has been lifted with the off center arm lift. I think they might be better advised to use either a lift that sticks up above the headshell and is in line with the arm axis, or sticks out of the front of the headshell in line with the arm. Neither looks normal, but apparently both work perfectly well -- there was a KLH (or was it Stanton?) table in the 70s that had opposing magnets to levitate the platter that used the above arm lift, and there was a Fairchild(?) arm that came to a point in front of the cartridge, forming a lift.

Damn, Up to where it said manual cueing, I was all for it. No way can i deal with that. too bad too.

Damn, Up to where it said manual cueing, I was all for it. No way can i deal with that. too bad too.

Yeah. But I bet the company or someone will develop an aftermarket device to resolve the issue, similar to the Q UP.

Yeah, that's a deal-killer for me, too. I might be able to live with it on anything but a unipivot arm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom