U-Turn Turntable - Has anyone got one yet?

At this point its official, U-turn has become an emotional issue for a lot of people.

People who have never heard it defend it against allegations of poor performance leveled by other people who have never heard it.

At this point its official, U-turn has become an emotional issue for a lot of people.

People who have never heard it defend it against allegations of poor performance leveled by other people who have never heard it.

It's the wait and lack of any real feedback. Usually an audiophile product will have occasional demos and those listeners trickle down their observations to forums. None of that happened with the Orbit. It's just been social media, pics and the occasional production video. I do think that was a mistake on their part. I also think it weird (not suspicious weird, just weird) that no buyers have even put up a youtube video. So there's this vacuum that is frustrating. So them not looking to our audiophile market is a valid assessment. It's for younger people who think vinyl is cool and are willing to pay for a table sight unseen as no big deal.

People also have to remember that U-turn also said they believed the Project Debut was a better table, so expectations have to be tempered.

Last edited:
I'm sure most who have received the Orbit by now have no clue about any if these audioboard/audiophile semantics and are just enjoying listening to their turntable.

AK is not the world.

No more emotional than any other thread on AK, ever.

You have your group of people who think it's junk because it's price tag doesn't separate it into an elitist ownership group, you have your group of people who expect to get something for (comparatively) nothing, you have your skeptics, fans, tinkerers, testers, butchers, bakers, candlestick makers and everyone in-between. All have some sort of interest in this new curious venture or they wouldn't be reading the posts and chiming in with their $0.02.

My gut feeling and purely unscientific opinion and expectation is that the U-Turn will perform better than most turntables made in the 1980's and equal to the lower priced belt drives of the 70's. That's a pretty impressive feat at a price point that, in late 1970 dollars, finds the U-Turn as a ridiculous value. An entry level, decent belt drive table in 1980 probably sold for not a great deal less than U-Turn is selling theirs for now.

If the U-Turn matches *my* expectations, what these young men will have accomplished is nothing short of astounding. Those who like, appreciate and expect the performance of a turntable costing 10 times as much should freely do so. Those looking for a quality turntable that's brand new, doesn't break the bank and isn't a pile of plastic faux turntable crap posing as the real thing will likely love the U-turn...again, if it meets the expectations that I have sort of mentally set in my own head for it.

When the funky colored ones come out, I plan on getting one. Heck, if they made the plinth out of burled rosewood, the platter out of reclaimed oak timbers from Great Lakes shipwrecks, the headshell out of some wild, exotic material and gold plated everything else, they could probably rebrand it with a snobbish name and sell it for 2 grand and someone, somewhere would RAVE over it.

What I want to know is if you buy a table now how long before THAT ships out.

I think that was posted in one of the two Orbit threads yesterday. As I recall, the word is orders placed now will be shipped in December.

John

It's important to remember that its detractors haven't heard it either. From my reading of these interminable threads, it seems that very few are assuming it will be good, just refusing to assume that it won't be.

John

Do we know this, or is it an assumption?

It's an assumption, of course, but I think a fair one. All along the Orbit people have been positioning this as a better bet than things like the various Crosleys and/or a lower cost alternative to entry level Pro-Jects and the like.

I'm not an 'audiophile', yet I frequent this board. Not one piece of my equipment, even when new, sold for over $1000.00 I've never had the luxury of being able to afford (or, perhaps justify the outlay of cash) extreme high end, audiophile gear.

You and I are pretty much in the same category as far as the gear we own or have owned but whether that disqualifies us as "audiophiles", well, I don't know. I pretty much resist the notion that the audiophile is defined by the money he (or she ;)) spends. The word simply means "sound lover", so music lover, and I prefer to leave it at that.

Anyway, I wasn't saying that the Orbit wasn't aimed at people who love music, just that their marketing doesn't seem to be directed at the people who hang out on audio "chat lists".

I've heard the term 'mid-fi' often applied to 70's Japanese gear. I am of the belief that, with careful selection of components and careful cartridge choice and turntable setup, that so-called 'mid-fi' gear can approach or even enter the realm of 'audiophile' high-end sound.

Me too.

The lowly Ion, bane to all record lovers everywhere, was part of the inspiration for the U-Turn. I personally can't wait to hear a U-Turn in person...but to lump the U-Turn back in with the Crosleys and Ions of the world because of a price point seems like an unfair bias.

I should learn to read the entire post before responding to it. :)

Again, the inspiration for the Orbit is clearly the desire to make a decent turntable, which the IONs and Crosleys clearly are not, at the price of these machines so, it's primary aim (I believe) is to unhorse the Crosley owner dissatisfied with his table and/or attract the buyer whose finances are limited to the Crosley/ION end of the market but who is discriminating enough to avoid that crap.

Of course there are and always have been people who are more concerned about what their system cost and what esoteric aesthetics and marketing claims go with them than they are about how it sounds and actually functions.

Again, I need to read an entire post before spouting off. :D

John

It's an assumption, of course, but I think a fair one. All along the Orbit people have been positioning this as a better bet than things like the various Crosleys and/or a lower cost alternative to entry level Pro-Jects and the like.

You and I are pretty much in the same category as far as the gear we own or have owned but whether that disqualifies us as "audiophiles", well, I don't know. I pretty much resist the notion that the audiophile is defined by the money he (or she ;)) spends. The word simply means "sound lover", so music lover, and I prefer to leave it at that.

Anyway, I wasn't saying that the Orbit wasn't aimed at people who love music, just that their marketing doesn't seem to be directed at the people who hang out on audio "chat lists".

Me too.

I should learn to read the entire post before responding to it. :)

Again, the inspiration for the Orbit is clearly the desire to make a decent turntable, which the IONs and Crosleys clearly are not, at the price of these machines so, it's primary aim (I believe) is to unhorse the Crosley owner dissatisfied with his table and/or attract the buyer whose finances are limited to the Crosley/ION end of the market but who is discriminating enough to avoid that crap.

Again, I need to read an entire post before spouting off. :D

John

LOL...good advice to all. And my post wasn't directed at you, John, although I did respond to your statement. It was more of a general observation about the entire thread and many previous threads like it.

Overall, I'm quite excited about this. How often these days do we get to explore a new model and make of turntable?

I don't get it... if this turntable is available in Europe for $150 I would buy it yesterday :D if for nothing then just to see and hear how it looks and plays, and perhaps to modify it later.
The first 'counterpart' to the starter Orbit TT is Pro-ject Elemental now, that looks like a toy but costs $239, Esential is even more expensive.

After all, it would be also nice to support those folks who share same passion, enthusiasm and love for music. Wouldn't be?

No Cuing---Move the belt with your hands to change speeds ---NO THANKS!!! I pass on this "Fisher Price" toy.
It has been a long time since I owned one, but I don't remember having to move a belt on my Fisher Price turntable.

I don't get it... if this turntable is available in Europe for $150 I would buy it yesterday :D if for nothing then just to see and hear how it looks and plays, and perhaps to modify it later.
The first 'counterpart' to the starter Orbit TT is Pro-ject Elemental now, that looks like a toy but costs $239, Esential is even more expensive.

After all, it would be also nice to support those folks who share same passion, enthusiasm and love for music. Wouldn't be?

And is, as yet, unavailable. Pro-Ject trotted out what looks to have been a mock-up at an audio show and then got a tame reviewer to gush over it. At the time the target price was $199.00 US. Now, as you say, it's $239.00 and still no table.

If I remember correctly, the Orbit was initially a US only offering but is now apparently being shipped to Canada. There may be plans to make it available in Europe but that would present both logistic and technological problems. Logistically, there would be the issue of shipping individual turntables to diverse locations overseas. Their distribution model makes that necessary and really difficult. Technologically, of course, there's the matter of a 220v, 50Hz version to consider.

John

Last edited:
No more emotional than any other thread on AK, ever.

I disagree actually. People who post in Technics Uber Alles threads might not have heard the VPI's they claim aren't as good as their 1200's, but they've at least heard their 1200s. People who post in M97xE vs. AT95 threads have usually heard both. Etc.

But it seems nobody in U-turn Orbit threads has heard a U-turn Orbit. Not the people who "bash" them (quotes indicate the fact that since this is the internet, "displaying skepticism" = hatehatehate!), and not the people who White Knight them.

Last edited:
There's a difference between an 'enthusiast' (which most here at AK are), and an 'audiophile' (which is a small minority on AK).

To the world outside of AK, the difference between enthusiast and audiophile would seem to be splitting hairs:

Untitled%20picture%20%281%29.png

I'd say that what those in the world outside AK think is of little importance in this discussion. ;)

sooooo no one on AK has gotten their u-turn yet? not a single member?

I think someone mentioned already in this thread that there is something about the orbit that goes beyond a turntable, it has stirred emotion in people. I think people really want to believe that three kids with a dream can get group funded and create a giant killer turntable for $150 bucks.

I also think the reality is this is an entry level turntable, will probably sound like an entry level turntable and unfortunately most of us are beyond the entry level.

Okay, so I just got notified by UPS that my Orbit should land on the 11th . . . I was told by Ben, of U-Turn Audio that I am backer #1093 which puts me squarely at the end o' the line! . . . in any event, I do hope it does come Monday so I can start putting it to the test right away . . . fingers crossed

sooooo no one on AK has gotten their u-turn yet? not a single member?

Have you not read this or the other U-Turn thread? I do have one, and I believe there may be a few others. But I'm not interested in spending much time comparing it to my VPI Scout or to my Technics SL-1200 MK2. It wouldn't be a fair comparison. It is a good choice for someone looking for a new turntable in the "under $200" price bracket.

Have you not read this or the other U-Turn thread? I do have one, and I believe there may be a few others. But I'm not interested in spending much time comparing it to my VPI Scout or to my Technics SL-1200 MK2. It wouldn't be a fair comparison. It is a good choice for someone looking for a new turntable in the "under $200" price bracket.

I'm sorry I must have missed your review, looks like in the other thread you only said you had gotten your ups conformation, earlier in this thread the only thing you said about the orbit was "The Orbit is a good option at the price" and now " It is a good choice for someone looking for a new turntable in the "under $200" price bracket". I understand you don't want to compare it to your scout or sl1200 but a review doesn't necessarily have to be a comparison, you could easily comment on the sonic characteristics of table. come on man , everyone wants to know about this table. here is your chance to channel your inner Fremer and share your thoughts on the sonic merits of the orbit.

Back
Top Bottom