U-Turn Turntable - Has anyone got one yet?

There's a difference between an 'enthusiast' (which most here at AK are), and an 'audiophile' (which is a small minority on AK).

I'm definately in the first group :D

and all together, I'm affraid, driving on the same road :D

An audiophile, in my opinion, is someone who is never satisfied with the sound of his setup and is on a neverending quest for audio nirvana.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/define-word-audiophile

...this could be a modern-day anser to the PL-12D, eh? Not in the same class as an AR-XA at all...but could fit the bill as the PL-12D did in the mid-70's. Looks and sounds decent, but cheep to boot!

A buyer walks into an audio parlor, see's a VPI Traveler and then sees the $1,400 price tag which does not include the $800.00 Dynavector cartridge that's mounted. Now, let's be fair, this buyer loves vinyl and audio as much as I do, but they only have $200 and not a dime more to spend... Well, over here Mr. Customer is a U-Turn turntable w/ Cartridge. It's no VPI, but it sounds good and it will treat your records right...and your pocket too!

Let's hope for the best from this little guy, it's of no matter to me one way or the other...

Have you not read this or the other U-Turn thread? I do have one, and I believe there may be a few others. But I'm not interested in spending much time comparing it to my VPI Scout or to my Technics SL-1200 MK2. It wouldn't be a fair comparison. It is a good choice for someone looking for a new turntable in the "under $200" price bracket.

that's sort of a shame. I think such a review(without any real need to compare it to ANY other table) would be welcomed. Things like fit and finish, consistency of speed, overall tone and ease of use, along with any other observations good and bad would be valuable for anyone choosing the table, or contemplating same. Why hold off(if it's simply a matter of allotting time in a busy life, I apologize for bugging you)?

I do not understand why all the negative comments regarding Orbit. Just because they are inexpensive to own, that gives anyone the right to post negative criticism, especially when you haven't experienced one firsthand?

Disclaimer: The following comment is totally mine and only mine.

Just because someone can only afford a table in this price range, they have no business being on this or any other audio forum? Since when did this become one of the rules of AK? Anyone who falls in this category must be a very shallow person.

FWIW, anyone who has ANY equipment regardless of price, and they enjoy music just like the rest of us, is an audiophile. For those who did not read the definition of audiophile needs to go back a page or two and read it until it sinks in. Better yet, I will post it here so you don't have to go back to find it.

Audiophile - Someone who is a hi-fi enthusiast

From what I see, there is no mention of a price range on one's equipment. No mention that this person must own certain audio equipment to be considered an audiophile. Just because those of us who cannot afford audio equipment that cost more than the price of our houses cannot be worthy of being an audiophile?

I think it would be fair to say that the audio equipment that cost five or six figures does not sound better than my equipment. A Mercedes will get you from point A to point B just the same as a Ford Focus. People who own Mercedes and high dollar audio equipment do it for one reason... status. It's all show and all about themselves. Come and see what I just bought, which actually means come and see what you cannot afford.

If an Orbit is the only turntable someone can afford, then by all means congratulations to you, and I hope you enjoy spinning vinyl for many years to come. Do not frown upon them for owning one. Embrace them for being someone who enjoys music, and enjoys being on this or any other audio forum.

Anyone who is in this hobby is a true Audiophile.

I do not understand why all the negative comments regarding Orbit. Just because they are inexpensive to own, that gives anyone the right to post negative criticism, especially when you haven't experienced one firsthand?

Disclaimer: The following comment is totally mine and only mine.

Just because someone can only afford a table in this price range, they have no business being on this or any other audio forum? Since when did this become one of the rules of AK? Anyone who falls in this category must be a very shallow person.

FWIW, anyone who has ANY equipment regardless of price, and they enjoy music just like the rest of us, is an audiophile. For those who did not read the definition of audiophile needs to go back a page or two and read it until it sinks in. Better yet, I will post it here so you don't have to go back to find it.

Audiophile - Someone who is a hi-fi enthusiast

From what I see, there is no mention of a price range on one's equipment. No mention that this person must own certain audio equipment to be considered an audiophile. Just because those of us who cannot afford audio equipment that cost more than the price of our houses cannot be worthy of being an audiophile?

I think it would be fair to say that the audio equipment that cost five or six figures does not sound better than my equipment. A Mercedes will get you from point A to point B just the same as a Ford Focus. People who own Mercedes and high dollar audio equipment do it for one reason... status. It's all show and all about themselves. Come and see what I just bought, which actually means come and see what you cannot afford.

If an Orbit is the only turntable someone can afford, then by all means congratulations to you, and I hope you enjoy spinning vinyl for many years to come. Do not frown upon them for owning one. Embrace them for being someone who enjoys music, and enjoys being on this or any other audio forum.

Anyone who is in this hobby is a true Audiophile.

A tip of the hat for you for this post! :thmbsp:

I agree TJ

that's sort of a shame. I think such a review(without any real need to compare it to ANY other table) would be welcomed. Things like fit and finish, consistency of speed, overall tone and ease of use, along with any other observations good and bad would be valuable for anyone choosing the table, or contemplating same. Why hold off(if it's simply a matter of allotting time in a busy life, I apologize for bugging you)?

I wonder why its so hard to just do a fair assessment unless (speculation, don't shoot the messenger) people were disappointed. Send me one, I'll do a fair assessment and send it back ..

As to under 200...hmm..that's somewhat debatable. Funny, all the issues when I reviewed the ATLP120 but when it comes to the Orbit, it had a sight unseen fan club with no one coming forward for a review. That to me seems odd.

Anyway, offer open. I wouldn't compare, just assess.:yes:

I can pretty much guarantee you if we said the Orbit was a $00 table vs. $200 the opinions would be different... only driven by the price factor.

There's a difference between an 'enthusiast' (which most here at AK are), and an 'audiophile' (which is a small minority on AK).

Enthusiasts listen to music on their equipment, and audiophiles use music to listen to their equipment.

"How did things ever get so far? I don't know. It was so -- unfortunate -- so unnecessary." - Don Vito Corleone

Oh give me a break, Enough of this martyr routine. someone else went off the same way in the other U-turn thread. There are not roving bands of rich bullies cruising AK looking to bash anything less then 4 figures, just doesn't happen.

Everyone wants to read a review to see if the U-turn guys actually pulled it off, did they actually put together a table for $150 that gives true entry level audiophile performance .

from U-turns website
"A turntable should be reliable and easy to use, but most importantly it should sound great. High-performance tables can be prohibitively expensive, and low end tables too often sacrifice quality for unnecessary features. So we set out to build a turntable that outperforms its price by redesigning classic audiophile components and leaving out nonessentials. The result is a simple, all-analog table that provides warm and detailed sound. Easy to setup and use, the Orbit delivers a pure vinyl experience."

So did they succeed? does the Orbit offer a cheap ticket to audiophileland or is it a dud. Should we recommend the Orbit to people looking to get into vinyl or not. Does it actually represent a good value for the dollar? these are basic questions about a new product , not a witch hunt.

Dusty may have gone overboard in her last post but she did have a point. With all the total crap that has infected this thread and the other one regarding the Orbit, there is no way in Hell that a review, either positive or negative, would be anything other than an excuse for more vitriol.

And you all know that's the truth.

John

I've had my Orbit turntable for four weeks. It's getting quite a workout, at least five hours a day. I've bought about 80 records, mostly all $1.00 used and in various states of wear. I can't compare the Orbit to any other turntable and I have no desire to read a review or in any way rank it to other tables. I doubt if it is sophisticated enough in design to benefit from a better cartridge or stylus than the Ortofon Omega it came with; other than replacing the static prone felt mat with a homemade cork one, I have no interest in modding it either. I am having a complete blast discovering the world of vinyl.

When U-Turn Audio develops a fancier table I'll be first in line to buy it.

Last edited:
I've had my Orbit turntable for four weeks. It getting quite a workout, at least five hours a day. I've bought about 80 records, mostly all $1.00 used and in various states of wear. I can't compare the Orbit to any other turntable and I have no desire to read a review or in any way rank it to other tables. I doubt if it is sophisticated enough in design to benefit from a better cartridge or stylus than the Ortofon Omega it came with; other than replacing the static prone felt mat with a homemade cork one, I have no interest in modding it either. I am having a complete blast discovering the world of vinyl.

Bravo!!!!

That is the whole point:music:

I'm not sure I gather where all the negativity is. I see 76 posts in this thread and only one is critical of the Orbit. And that's by an AKer who apparently gets musical joy from a 1938 Zenith, not one of the mythical audiophiles.

I've had my Orbit turntable for four weeks. It getting quite a workout, at least five hours a day. I've bought about 80 records, mostly all $1.00 used and in various states of wear. I can't compare the Orbit to any other turntable and I have no desire to read a review or in any way rank it to other tables. I doubt if it is sophisticated enough in design to benefit from a better cartridge or stylus than the Ortofon Omega it came with; other than replacing the static prone felt mat with a homemade cork one, I have no interest in modding it either. I am having a complete blast discovering the world of vinyl.

Well said, though I imagine it could benefit from a better stylus at least. If you're enjoying the results for the money then it has achieved the intended goal.

I've had my Orbit turntable for four weeks. It's getting quite a workout, at least five hours a day. I've bought about 80 records, mostly all $1.00 used and in various states of wear. I can't compare the Orbit to any other turntable and I have no desire to read a review or in any way rank it to other tables. I doubt if it is sophisticated enough in design to benefit from a better cartridge or stylus than the Ortofon Omega it came with; other than replacing the static prone felt mat with a homemade cork one, I have no interest in modding it either. I am having a complete blast discovering the world of vinyl.

And that's the whole point right there. You are the target market and good on you for letting us know your thoughts on it. You get :thmbsp::thmbsp:

You have summed it up, it's a basic table and you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

Don't expect it to outshine a TT costing over $1,000.00, that's like comparing a Volkswagon to a Porsche, expect it to sound like a TT costing around $200.00.

Back
Top Bottom