Ugly but effective (so far) speaker treatment.

I had to read this a few times, good idea and I get it. Your training the cat ;).

I won't have them for that specific reason, my dogs tails do bang on the woofers when I walk in the door, I'm ok with it, thud,thud,thud ! Your home , Your home :banana:.

My mom used to have all of her cats front paws declawed, I always thought that was kinda mean but the cats really didn't seem to mind. She was a huge cat fan.

As I mentioned, I signed an adoption paper stating I would not declaw the cat so I'm doing my part to prevent her using the speakers as scratching posts. My previous cats were declawed.
I'm NOT a cat, but to me those RS II's would seem like really good scratching posts. They are tall and have cloth on the front, easily reachable for a cat.
New kitty is used to having her claws trimmed so I check them every few days. It's pretty easy provided the cat cooperates!
There are a couple real scratching dohickies for her to use as well.

It looks terrible, but it really hasn't made any changes to the sound that I can hear.
I wouldn't mind if she were to sit on top of the sub, but the turntable is right next to it and I do not want her on that.

I grow cat nip and will rub it onto the scratching post. Would think the store bought will work also. With all the cats we have had over the years never had this problem. Till now.
We now have a stray male who showed up in the fall. We found the owner due to a chip, he still comes back and back. Close to a mile away? The owner left me a note saying just keep him. Told them no to come and get him. Still waiting......
Most of the time he stays outdoors unless really cold or wet. Then it is the garage. I have an old subwoofer box repurposed on the porch with straw for him when outside till spring.
He is a scratch at will cat, so I think will never be good totally a indoors pet. My other two refuse to accept or allow him in for long inside. So we just keep an eye on him and are trying to train.
Good to know the spray seems to work.

Best of luck.

BTW name of the little one??

Barney

You should give real thought to the future, when You try to remove that double sided tape, and ruin the veneer of your Infinity's.

Were it me, I'd go to the store, buy a roll of gaffers tape, or painters tape, or scotch tape or ... and replace that crap double stick immediately! Of course, it may already be too late.

I would never hurt an animal or cause it pain for being what it is… but it would have a new home or be euthanized and I'm not kidding.

A couple of thoughts:

That tape - or any tape - may come off a lot easier if warmed up with a hair dryer as you go. Usually the adhesives are softened by moderate heat. Don't overshoot - no heat guns.

One could put something in front of the speaker that the cat doesn't like to stand on, a sticky mat, barbed wire, whatever. :biggrin:

Finally, to the folks who really don't like cats and would banish or murder them to protect your stereo, that's fine, but probably not particularly helpful to the OP, and it comes across kinda rude to the rest of us. Just sayin', I would never walk into a dog thread and say something like that.

I find cat haters rather peculiar creatures.

There is an excellent remedy for alternate grills, especially for the Infinity models that have the standoff posts.
It can look stylish.
I'm talking about diamond lath that is not used for stucco, but the kind used for furniture or architectural applications.
I've used it on my Q4s, and am looking into finding the right sized sheet for my RSIIs.
I removed the snap on pads from the offset post(s), unscrewed the post screws out just enough to hang the diamond lath securely, bottom and top.
On the RSII the lath would be hanging from the top center post and secured at the bottom with a couple of "set" screws.
For instance http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchan...tZFwP4H-mK1_cx-2li92_pbBNL1Vse4y0aAqFV8P8HAQ#

You should give real thought to the future, when You try to remove that double sided tape, and ruin the veneer of your Infinity's.

Were it me, I'd go to the store, buy a roll of gaffers tape, or painters tape, or scotch tape or ... and replace that crap double stick immediately! Of course, it may already be too late.

You mentioned that on first page, I answered it on first page.
I also thanked you for mentioning it for anyone who may not be aware.
There is a reason for the double sided tape, it is sticky on both sides, the others you mentioned are not. Either her fur will stick to it or she will tug it off and get wrapped up with it. Either way she's probably not going to like it and hopefully will keep her from doing it again.
I'd prefer clear or black tape but have not found those.

There are 1/4" X 1" trim around my grilles, stained to match the cabinets, My grilles were broken as is common with RSII's so I put "frames" around them for rigidity....the tape is touching those and the grille cloth, which needs replacing anyways.
There are two tape strips on top of the yard sale 13 year old subwoofer I bought a few months ago, well I can live with that if it pulls a little of the finish.
One strip on top of each woofer cabinet which barely stay in place due to the oily waxy finish I applied.

If you are close by, feel free to stop by and make sure I'm doing it right.

New kitty (Biscuit) is doing well after two weeks at her new home and so far has not done anything to the speakers. Once I am confident she will not damage them the tape will come off.

Sometimes it's hard to envision what someone writes, hopefully this picture will show what I mean when I say I put/made grille frames around the grilles for rigidity. Standard lumber yard 1" pine screen moulding , stained to match the speaker cabinets. They also had oak screen moulding but it looked to be red oak and had a red shading, I figured it would be easier to match the pine rather than the oak to the RS II's.
AA Infinity RSII grille frame 9112.jpg

Last edited:
I find cat haters rather peculiar creatures.

There is an excellent remedy for alternate grills, especially for the Infinity models that have the standoff posts.
It can look stylish.
I'm talking about diamond lath that is not used for stucco, but the kind used for furniture or architectural applications.
I've used it on my Q4s, and am looking into finding the right sized sheet for my RSIIs.
I removed the snap on pads from the offset post(s), unscrewed the post screws out just enough to hang the diamond lath securely, bottom and top.
On the RSII the lath would be hanging from the top center post and secured at the bottom with a couple of "set" screws.
For instance http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchan...tZFwP4H-mK1_cx-2li92_pbBNL1Vse4y0aAqFV8P8HAQ#
My friend I hope I didn't leave you with the idea I'm a cat hater. I had a simease that made it to 23 years old and another that was 19. I loved them both and out of the entire family I was the favorite. I also watched cats tare up nice things we owned. Things my mother saved for years sometimes. When a cat ruined something my mother just had to except it. She had no choice. Having a few nice things wasn't materialistic or wrong of my mom. It wasn't fair to her. We have a little dog. He's not aloud in certain rooms. He's not allowed to come in with muddy feet. Our carpet is still off white after 4 years. You can choose to have a spotless home and own animals, but you'll have to make compromises and sacrifices. It's not fair to impose on one mate the decision to have animals in the house. You decide together, and live with the consequences. The first 30 years of my life was with animals in the house. When single and my last one passed I chose no animals, no destruction. I owned a white soft leather couch, white tall fur rugs, speaker cloths that remained perfect. Now married I have a dog and a hateful bird. I love them but it costs me. I won't live like my mother had to.

I wonder if you could lay some sticky tape on the floor in front of the speakers ? I hear cats don't like sticky stuff on their feet .

I think putting the sticky tape right at the base of the speakers is not a bad idea and might prove beneficial.
I do like the metal mesh/grille materials a couple people have mentioned. A bit costly but looks like it might do the job and not look so butt ugly. If needed that would probably be my next move. That diamond stuff is not priced too bad. The metal grille material(s) listed on the first page might be "better" looking (possibly because it is made to be used as grille material) but it costs a bit more.

Since it's been awful slow in this section, here's an update.
Just to make sure this section still works.
Almost 6 months now since I got the new cat.
No sign she's touched the speakers, no pulls or anything in the grille cloth, have not seen her touch them.
Can't say for sure it's the sticky tape as she is a floor scratcher (horizontal) and not a wall scratcher (verical) kitty.
That's fine, my carpeting is nothing to be proud of anyways. And yes, she does have a couple floor scratchers as well.
I'm used to the "ruined" appearance, they still sound just fine, the tape will stay for now.

You may want to pull some of the tape off, to see if it will cause a problem. If it doesn't, put fresh tape down. My experience with Duct Tape is that it will get harder to remove the older it gets.

Thanks John, I do occasionally pull the tape up to make sure it's not stuck-stuck.
Honestly with how the cat has behaved I should just pull it off as she hasn't shown any interest in the speakers.
But just in case...

Rereading this thread a few months after the original post, geoff727 and tubed, I really like the idea of the metal mesh grilles.
Possibly with softly rounded corners that mimic the RS II diffuser wings.
Seems like that would be a practical and maybe classy look.
Hmmmmmm

Back
Top Bottom