Ultimate Aragon 18K Rebuild

I'm the process of chrome plating the face plate. The volume knobs will get gold plating in honor of the 18K namesake.

Not sure if this is acceptable but I would pay for information on how to construct these wonderful diffusers. I too have the JBL L250Ti speakers. I just can't decide between solid state amps and tube amps with these guys. Compared to my other vintage BIG JBLs these 250Ti are what I always come back to. With my Pass Labs XA200.5 they are so accurate and imaging is easy to appreciate but with my Carver Black Beauties they sound so sweet and just can't get enough listening to them. I would very much appreciate if you could point me in the direction of finding instructions on making these diffusers. I have double window behind my listening chair and wonder how these would improve dynamics. Again, I apologize if this is wrong place to post, old and not computer cool here.

Very nice, Dr. K! That seating position surely provides a nice little bump to the first few octaves. And your portable absorption panels look almost exactly like the ones I made for myself...right down to the triangular-ish feet! How did the gridfusors work out for you?

Hey, good to see ya back on AK, Michael!

Not sure if this is acceptable but I would pay for information on how to construct these wonderful diffusers. I too have the JBL L250Ti speakers. I just can't decide between solid state amps and tube amps with these guys. Compared to my other vintage BIG JBLs these 250Ti are what I always come back to. With my Pass Labs XA200.5 they are so accurate and imaging is easy to appreciate but with my Carver Black Beauties they sound so sweet and just can't get enough listening to them. I would very much appreciate if you could point me in the direction of finding instructions on making these diffusers. I have double window behind my listening chair and wonder how these would improve dynamics. Again, I apologize if this is wrong place to post, old and not computer cool here.

I get most of my acoustic treatment from GIK Acoustics. I think are the most affordable, beside DIY.

If you want better imaging and accuracy out of the Black Beauties, there are two simple mods you can do. Either bypass the stock volume pot or install a better stepped attenuator (Goldpoint, Kosmo, etc). Upgrade to better coupling caps (I have Vcaps in mine, but Duelunds or Jupiter are very good too.). Both of these mods will increase dynamics, imaging/staging, and transparency and give more natural tonality.

For a minute I thought I was unsubscribed from this thread... Updates? pics? anything new since the last installment?

Sorry, I'm on vacation. Project was delayed due to several factors. We had to get a new new remote control module because it wasn't working properly with the hand held remote. Its working fine now. And we had to find a replacement output mosfet because Kevin found one of them in my preamp would not work when the heat sink was attached. Recently I got the face plate chromed and the volume knobs gold plated. I'll try to post some photos before I ship it to Kevin.

For a minute I thought I was unsubscribed from this thread... Updates? pics? anything new since the last installment?

I had the same trouble. Plus, I wasn't receiving notifications about new posts. I blame it on the server upgrade and switch-over. But, who knows!?! :dunno: Just in case, I unsubscribed, and selected the watch thread option again. Maybe that'll fix the issues? :confused:

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't posted the progress of my preamp in awhile. Here is the finished chrome plated face plate and 24k gold plated volume knobs. Let me know what you think. Do any of you know who can do some nice lettering (decal work) for the face plate?

Attachments

• IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 59
Hi everyone, sorry I haven't posted the progress of my preamp in awhile. Here is the finished chrome plated face plate and 24k gold plated volume knobs. Let me know what you think. Do any of you know who can do some nice lettering (decal work) for the face plate?

Is it too late to engrave or laser etch the labeling? I'd hate to see decals on such a magnificent piece of work.

Is it too late to engrave or laser etch the labeling? I'd hate to see decals on such a magnificent piece of work.

The chrome is too reflective for laser etching. Engraving is a possibility but I'm not sure if you can do that on chrome plating.

Es Muy guapo! ( I think I got that right). More pics... , PS? Rear Panel?
It came out very nice indeed. Completely transformed the 18K cosmetically. even the knobs are barely recognizable. :)

The more important question. How does sound NOW vs. it's prior incarnation?

Es Muy guapo! ( I think I got that right). More pics... , PS? Rear Panel?
It came out very nice indeed. Completely transformed the 18K cosmetically. even the knobs are barely recognizable. :)

The more important question. How does sound NOW vs. it's prior incarnation?

Per your request, I asked Kevin to send more pics. As far as the sound, Kevin needs to do a side by side comparison with his upgraded 18K and mine. I'll ask him to post here when he's done.

Ok folks, here is the completed preamp! Kevin has done a magnificent job.

The preamp truly turned out beautiful! Something to be proud of. And speaking of beautiful gear, what's the status of the amps and speakers? I hope you're close now, to obtaining a complete system? :idea:

Also, a quick tech question. Just wondering, since you're using the remote controlled dual mono autoformer's; do they slave together accurately when adjusting volume remotely? I'd assume they would (have to), to maintain proper stereo balance. I just wasn't 100% sure. But I guess, you haven't even had to chance to play with it's features yourself? :confused:

Finally, a quick Kevin question; is Kevin retiring? I seem to remember reading recently that he was ramping down his mod business, and I wasn't sure if that were true or not? For me, I hope not. But, if that's what Kevin wants, I'm happy for him! :D

The preamp truly turned out beautiful! Something to be proud of. And speaking of beautiful gear, what's the status of the amps and speakers? I hope you're close now, to obtaining a complete system? :idea:

Also, a quick tech question. Just wondering, since you're using the remote controlled dual mono autoformer's; do they slave together accurately when adjusting volume remotely? I'd assume they would (have to), to maintain proper stereo balance. I just wasn't 100% sure. But I guess, you haven't even had to chance to play with it's features yourself? :confused:

Finally, a quick Kevin question; is Kevin retiring? I seem to remember reading recently that he was ramping down his mod business, and I wasn't sure if that were true or not? For me, I hope not. But, if that's what Kevin wants, I'm happy for him! :D

My Bob Carver amps and speakers are completed, but Bob is fine tuning them. So I still haven't received them. But I did receive my Raidho 2.1 speakers, which sound awesome!

I don't have the preamp yet, so I can't tell you if they are tracking as intended. You can ask Kevin yourself when he chimes in.

Back
Top Bottom