Ultraviolet- I'd rather get sunburn...

thedelihaus

Nocturnal transmissions
The movie Ultraviolet.

The only problem with this 90 minute, 25 second film is it is 90 minutes, 25 seconds too long.

Okay, it was a noble effort of a film- maybe. There was an attempt to emulate the comic book style of the flow, the colors, the pace of an arisian's graphic novel. It couldn't make up for the fact however that this was a misguided and sloppily constructed film.

For a rapid-fire paced film, an ACTION film, I caught myself feeling like I wanted to shut it off and give up on it (even only 15 minutes into it). forcing myself through it, I found many times I was starting to doze off from boredom and growing frustration that was wearing on me, tiring me out- even with the frenetic music pumping through the soundsystem.

I won't get into the villianous main charactor Vicecardinum Ferdinand Daxus too much- the actor, Nick Chinlund, basically played a stereotypical villian to the over-the-top hilt. Think of Joe Izuzu trying to be bad-ass.

And the young boy who played the young charactor of the borderline-pubescent clone of Vicecardinum Ferdinand Daxus by the name of Six... well, I can't tell if he's just another product of the well-marketed youth stars of tomorrow factory, devoid of talent, or if he's a talented lad and the poor script, storyline, and pace of the film left him without a chance in hell to get it right.

and as for actor Sebastien Andrieu, who played the goody/baddy charactor of Nerva- he should stick to modeling Calvin Clein underwear and CK cologne. He's got the hair and the curled-lip snarl for it.

The only redeemable acting was done by a fellow named William Fichtner, who wasn't bad at all- he played the tormented, love-lorn scientist do-gooder Garth. But the fella, he had nothing to work with here. Like a carpenter with a headfull of skill and a handfull of nails, but no hammer. You may know William Fichtner as the voice of Ken Rosenberg- a charactor in the Grand Theft Auto video games. Yes, he's probably better known as a voice in a video game series. Hey just may have promise though. The screentime he had here was too short to really tell...

What about the star, you may ask? Granted, Milla Jovovich is a scrumptious feast for the eyes. And the outfits she's poured into would get any post-modern, urban, artsy-type heterosexual male salivating at the mouth. Her lithe body, perfect makeup, and Betty Page/Cleopatra hairdo meets St. Marks street Manic Panic punky-colored hair keeps a bit of fire, a little sizzle in the scenes.

But even with her serpentine frame sashaying, slicing and dicing through most of those 90 minutes and 25 seconds, it still isn't enough to keep this hot-blooded male interested, nor awake. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

:thumbsdn:

Your mileage may vary, of course...

Is that the one with Black chick with monkey feet?

Or is it the other one? I saw the one with the Black chick with monkey feet, that sucked. If it's the other one I remember seeing a commercial for it and thinking, Didn't they just make this movie?

I had seen Equilibrium by the same writer/director,which uses the same fighting style,and similar back story,if Im not mistaken.Christian Bale was the star,and it was a nifty little action flick,not too stupid,either.
Imagine my surprise when I saw this piece of cinematic debris.
Jimmy

Jimmy, Christian Bale is what I consider a late bloomer, but definately a talented fella- loved him in Batman Begins and especiaally The Machinist- if you haven't seen The Machinist, I highly recommend it.

But I didn'y like him at all in Amercan Psycho nor Velvet Goldmine. He's dramatically improved with time.

I've heard nothing but good things about the film Equilibrium, and heard the director Kurt Wimmer (who did both Equilibrium and Ultraviolet) did a good job with Equilibrium. seems something went awefully wrong with Ultraviolet though.

I enjoyed it, but I definitely see why other people don't like it. Then again, I'm a Milla fanboy, so she can do no wrong. I love the building-top sequence, and the over-the-top superheroics of the main character in both movies.

But I hated the special effects (in Ultraviolet). You could see the friggin' polygons.

I liked Aeon Flux, quite a bit actually. It was decent sci-fi for me. However, I concede that had I not been in the right mood, I could have hated it too.

When I saw the first X-Men I was on a plane. I hated it. Later, my wife rented it as my kids wanted to see it. So I watched it again. Complete comic book and I loved it the second time around. Mindset is everything on some films. I have not seen Ultraviolet yet.

I have Ultraviolet in my Netflix queue, mainly for Milla Jojovich and I read it was pretty crappy. But sometimes crappy sci-fi flicks can have a good message. But I don't think this is going to be one of them.

I like Aeon Flux, mainly for Charlize Theron and the style of the movie. I thought the style and action was very well done. The story line was fairly weak and I gave it a three star rating.

i own both ultraviolet and aeon flux and i can say with sertainty that they are a waste of DVDs. Oh and Bale was the best part of An American Psycho!

Bale was definately the best part of American Psycho, but for some reason, it didn't jive well with me.

I'll give it a second chance.

couldn't stand him in Velvet goldmine, but that was almost 10 years ago. Loved his performance in Batman Begins, enough to buy it. Also I think he was fabulous in The Machinist.

The Machinist- what a great flick!

http://www.themachinistthemovie.com/

"Ultraviolet" is one of the worst films I've ever seen! My 31-year old son loves it so I watched it on his suggestion. I thought it bloody awful with mediocre cgfx and incredible continuity errors. I think he just got carried away by Mila and her leather jumpsuit - which is pretty damn awesome!

Another "Fifth Element" it ain't. FE was stupid but it was also funny and entertaining and lots of other good things that "Ultraviolet" isn't. The ONLY good thing these movies share is Mila - who has gotta be one of the sexiest women in film these days.

Back
Top Bottom