Unassembled & unopened Cit I and Cit II kits!

I ended up with a pair of McIntosh MC30s, consecutively serial numbered and very clean (and I do mean PERFECT trannies - just perfect) - even the inner metal was pristine, no heat colorations, except......

....for a smidge of a squirt of electrolytic gel that apparently was shot onto the inner metal from being powered on after a long period of dormancy. Then the amps were apparently recapped with modern mylar and/or poly caps by a more knowledgeable sort - operational, and just the perfect "source units" to have rebuilt THE RIGHT WAY, without having ANY guilt about redoing them. The "redo" had already been started, so I could proceed with ZERO hesitancy about altering them. And the amps were more modestly priced, as the collectors had been chased away.

They were given a proper rebuild with the full intent of being heard. Amps like this should be if reasonable or possible. Now if they had been presented to me in original box like these Citation kits, that decision would have been MUCH more difficult if not impossible, because it is very much proper to keep something THAT perfect in the original state. I wouldn't even want to breathe on these.

Yes they probably belong in the Smithsonian, seriously, that or my basement, ;^).

Cheers

Lar

I really think this is a collectors only auction. If I really wanted to build a brand new system I think I would just buy used, unbuild, replace components, and rebuild. I have an A50K (A500 kit) and have acquired 4 NOS Tele 12AX7, 1 Tele 12AU7, and 4 NOS Sylvania 7355. I have the paper build manual and parts list so once the caps, pots and resistors get ordered it really should be fun. Now all I need is time for fun.

I'm thinking that to be safe these kits should be: "housewife-tested", :D.

Cheers

Lar

Attachments

• HW tested.jpg
    HW tested.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 55
had to look...
the citation 1 already broke $1k. not surprised.

Yup and the II has been steady at $1500 for a couple days. I'm sure they will likely both double in the last minute or so. Lots of snipe bids going on there I'm sure.

Cheers

Lar

I talked with the guy and apparently they are from a friends widow and he's trying to help her get top dollar. He's a tube buff too, but just didn't feel right buying them from her. He said it was pretty painful to list them.:yes:

I talked with the guy and apparently they are from a friends widow and he's trying to help her get top dollar. He's a tube buff too, but just didn't feel right buying them from her. He said it was pretty painful to list them.:yes:

I was wondering if he was selling them for someone else.

Cheers

Lar

BTW, you may call me a liar. But for that kind of price, as a seller, I would offer to ship it for free to the lower 48. I suspect there will be a bidding war at the end...

I predict that some uber rich Asian guy will put a no lose 2 second snype on them. Something like 10 k so he can't be beat. I'd like to see two guys do that and have them end up going for a rediculous amount. :yes:

$1825 for the amplifier.

$1613 for the preamp.

A lot lower than I would have thought.

I was thinking the same thing as the auctions ended. Probably a combination of generally difficult financial times and holiday remorse. Not to mention tax season closing in. Had I decided to bid, the cost would have increased by 50% as it usually seems to with other objects of desire.

For sure. I thought they would have gone for more.

Dont know about the II but I'll let you know when the I gets here.
Full pics and..........to follow.:yes:

:banana::banana::banana:

Congratulations! As the owner of a Citation I all I can say is they are amazing.

These would have brought much more money had there been better pictures, more history, and a much better description.

Back
Top Bottom