Under rated speakers

cubdog

banging through drywall
I'm sure we all own or have heard speakers that sound better than their popularity or reputation would indicate. I own one such pair of speakers. Polk Audio RT10s. Primarily sold as HT speakers in the late 90s they sound good no matter what combination I them hook them up with. What are your unsung speakers? No Advents or Dynacos please but real sleepers that others might be surprised by.

cubdog

KLH 900B's from the mid 80's. Not the best sounding speakers but they sound good and can really rock out. Tightest bass I have ever heard. And the best part is they are bookshelf speakers so they fit just about anywhere. :thmbsp:

I think just about any model Allison speaker competes with the better known brands in their class.

Before I found a pair last year and learned about them on AK, I had never heard of them.

Cheers, Snade

Unsung speakers........

Howdy,
My entry would be Phase Technology 745ES, 14.98 OTD at GW, superb
speakers, 3 ways, sweet on about any music, except bass-heavy rock,
surprising every time I fire them up, use them primarily for jazz/classical.
Cheers, T:yes:

dbx soundfields. Yeah the bass is flabby, the highs are dry, and the mids are pretty lifeless.

BUT, they have THE BEST soundstage and imaging of any speaker I've ever
heard. They are truly scary in terms of the life-like "you are there" feeling.

And besides, when you feel like the musicians are right there in front of you playing their hearts out, do you really care about a little HF roll-off or muddy bass response?

ohme2overheadmediumra7.jpg

Ohm Model E2 and Ohm E's Currently the E2 are in my stepsons room and the E's are in my office Just flat out a great sounding 2 way

Easy :D My Polk RTi4s. They sound great. Smaller than my Baby Advents but more bass and real nice highs.

Pioneer CS-R500s.

The first really good sounding Japanese speaker I ever heard! :yes:

So impressed, I have a pair as well as their big brothers the CS-R700 and little brothers CS-R300.

My little Synergistics. I would love to find a larger pair. Great bass out of a little speaker. They pull duty on a Kenwood KA-4002 for the PS2 and XBOX 360.

No sub needed.

100_0904-1.jpg

Rob

EV Interface 2's Got them, they needed foam (and a lot of help), put them in the pile for a later day and almost threw them out several times. Had some time one day and the right foams so i thought what the heck. Replaced the crappy paper cone tweeters (only one was original) with a generic RS soft dome and fired them up. :music: WOW, MUCH better than I had ever dreamed. They are a lot like Genesis II's both in configuration and sound.

2306083765_1e95399c5e_o.jpg

Would the Realistic MC-1200's be considered underrated? I always hear people talking about the MC-1000's and the Optimus -7's

dont know about underrated, but i dont think much of them. i have a pair (6 bux at the thrift) and they dont hold a candle to either my ohm e, klh 24, or advent/3. ok, so they cost me half what i paid for the others. they still ended up in the guest room. :)

My little Synergistics. I would love to find a larger pair. Great bass out of a little speaker.
Rob
I'm quite sure those were made by RTR. The woofer looks right, the tweeter looks like the peerless cone tweeter they used a lot, and every Synergistics I've seen had that same gold foil backplate. Is that a 10" woofer?
RTR (pre-Series II or III or whatever) would be my choice for underrated.

I'm in complete agreement that Allison speakers are widely under-rated.

Quiet, please, both of you. I plan to get more cheaply.

Smaller speakers made by companies with well-known high-end or cult products. I'd put Klipsch KG and KL speakers into this category, as well as most Polk speakers that aren't Monitor or SDA models. Polk RTAs go for peanuts, although buyers seem to be waking up recently.

Small Electrovoices like the Interface:As I used to have.

Non-Walsh Ohm speakers.

Many Boston Acoustics models from the '80s/90s.

Possibly some of the CSW versions of old KLH/Advent designs.

DLK 1 1/2, especially the earlier version. Great bass, imaging smooth sound-no peaks or valleys, and birchwood cabinets on the early versions.

Back
Top Bottom