Unexpected Changes At The Barnyard. Or As The Worm Turns

Mister Pig

Pigamus Maximus
Earlier in the year at pig headquarters the command decision was made to order a new Sota Cosmos Gen 6 table. There was also a noticeable clutter of extraneous audio gear around, and something needed to be done. There was an extra amp and pre amp here, and while one pairing sounded great, the other pairing was slightly better, and the individual pieces from each group could not be interchanged with the other and get satisfactory results. However one pairing has a brand new PS Audio BHK 250 Signature amp in it, so that piece was going to stay. The result is that two pre amps went up for sale along with one power amp.

Eventually the extra amp and pre amp went out the door in a package, and I was left with the BHK 250 Signature amplifier and a Plinius Tautoro pre amp. During that time period I had gotten these two components to sound excellent together, and was content with the pairing. I also got the Sota Cosmos table ordered, and have the funds set aside to pay for it. All was good in piggie land.

However, I forgot to pull one ad. Last week I was contacted by someone who wanted the Plinius pre amp He had a Plinius amp and wanted to match up a stack. After a bit of talking we agreed on a sale, and earlier this week I boxed it up and sent it out. It is on its way now to a new home, destined to be reunited with its New Zealand compatriot.

On Monday of this week I placed my order for a PS Audio BHK pre amp. This is the matching pre amp to the amplifier I have. Bascom King is the designer, and he says this is the best pre amp he has built to date. Which is an intriguing concept because he is the designer of the Constellation gear. According to Bascom and McGowan the best pre amp they had experienced was the Aesthetix Calypso, which was the target that the BHK pre amp was to equal or better. Supposedly they have accomplished this goal, and that would make this pre amp a stunning component, especially for the dollar figure it sells for.

So I have ordered mine in silver, and have to wait about two weeks to get it. The Plinius is in transit, so I have resorted to stop gap measures. I thought I was going to be out of tunes for 2 weeks, but then I remembered that my back up phono stage has a variable output option, so I hooked it up to the amplifier direct. This way I can at least listen to vinyl while waiting. So a Graham Slee Accession is feeding a BHK 250 Signature amp here, and it does sound quite decent.

But I have to admit to eyeing that PS Audio Direct Stream DAC...sigh.

EDIT: Here is a link to some interesting stuff about it.

http://www.audiophilia.com/reviews/2016/6/18/ps-audio-bhk-preamplifier

PS_Audio_BHK_pre-amp_2-758x426.png

617ps.ins.jpg

There are some interesting interviews with Bascom

Cheers
Mister Pig

Last edited:
And I see ... a great example of the value of having "excess stuff!" Congrats on the new pre-amp! :)

The Plinius amp, is going to New Zealand, WOW!??

And I see ... a great example of the value of having "excess stuff!" Congrats on the new pre-amp! :)

The Plinius amp, is going to New Zealand, WOW!??

No one said its going to New Zealand.

It would have been far easier if the $ was just in my audio kitty.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Very attractive design, imo. And I love the bold display which looks as though it will be legible across the room.

So John what's your system now?

Front end>>>Speakers

Well this is slated to be the following, I am of course waiting for a few things to show up:

Source

Sota Cosmos Gen 6 with Eclipse bearings and Phoenix Engineering speed regulation
SME V tone arm
Ortofon A90 cartridge

Technics SP 10 MK II in custom CLD plinth
Riggle 12" String Theory arm
ZYX 4D cartridge

Other cartridges: Jico Seto Hori and Ortofon Cadenza Blue

Mac Mini with Pure Music software
PS Audio LAN Rover
Singxer USB to SPDIF converter
Wireworld Starlight 7 CAT 7 cables
VH Audio Spectrum CU digital interconnect
Audio Magic Kukama DAC (could be replaced by a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC)

Amplifier: PS Audio BHK 250 Signature amplifier with Siemens 6922 gold pin tubes and silver HiFi Tuning fuses

Pre-amplifier PS Audio BKH pre amp

Phono stage: Esoteric Audio E03 phono stage

Speakers: JBL 4365 Synthesis series speakers

Subwoofer: Velodyne HGS 12 Servo Subwoofer

Power Conditioner: PS Audio P10 AC Regenerator

Cabling: Wireworld Eclipse 8 speaker wire
Analysis Plus Silver Apex interconnects
Pi Audio Group power cords

Cabinet: Salamander Geneva credenza

It's a simple system for a simple pig. One component in each category, except 2 turntables. One a beater table to play my casual vinyl.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Last edited:
No one said its going to New Zealand.

It would have been far easier if the $ was just in my audio kitty.

Cheers
Mister Pig
Aww well I guess I misunderstood?? Well I hope it arrives safe and sound (no pun intended) wherever, it's going? :)

Aww well I guess I misunderstood?? Well I hope it arrives safe and sound (no pun intended) wherever, it's going? :)
The guy who bought his Plinius pre amp has a Plinius amp to go with it , Plinius is a New Zealand company Mister Pig was saying that the Plinius pre is now being paired with its New Zealand compatriot .

Audiofreak71

Last edited:
Tell you what, turn my back for a minute, the Pig is switching out stereo components and cavorting in the surf with Girls in Bikinis again.o_O

Someday I'd like the resources to be able to afford the things you've moved on.

Mark Gosdin

D
Earlier in the year at pig headquarters the command decision was made to order a new Sota Cosmos Gen 6 table. There was also a noticeable clutter of extraneous audio gear around, and something needed to be done. There was an extra amp and pre amp here, and while one pairing sounded great, the other pairing was slightly better, and the individual pieces from each group could not be interchanged with the other and get satisfactory results. However one pairing has a brand new PS Audio BHK 250 Signature amp in it, so that piece was going to stay. The result is that two pre amps went up for sale along with one power amp.

Eventually the extra amp and pre amp went out the door in a package, and I was left with the BHK 250 Signature amplifier and a Plinius Tautoro pre amp. During that time period I had gotten these two components to sound excellent together, and was content with the pairing. I also got the Sota Cosmos table ordered, and have the funds set aside to pay for it. All was good in piggie land.

However, I forgot to pull one ad. Last week I was contacted by someone who wanted the Plinius pre amp He had a Plinius amp and wanted to match up a stack. After a bit of talking we agreed on a sale, and earlier this week I boxed it up and sent it out. It is on its way now to a new home, destined to be reunited with its New Zealand compatriot.

On Monday of this week I placed my order for a PS Audio BHK pre amp. This is the matching pre amp to the amplifier I have. Bascom King is the designer, and he says this is the best pre amp he has built to date. Which is an intriguing concept because he is the designer of the Constellation gear. According to Bascom and McGowan the best pre amp they had experienced was the Aesthetix Calypso, which was the target that the BHK pre amp was to equal or better. Supposedly they have accomplished this goal, and that would make this pre amp a stunning component, especially for the dollar figure it sells for.

So I have ordered mine in silver, and have to wait about two weeks to get it. The Plinius is in transit, so I have resorted to stop gap measures. I thought I was going to be out of tunes for 2 weeks, but then I remembered that my back up phono stage has a variable output option, so I hooked it up to the amplifier direct. This way I can at least listen to vinyl while waiting. So a Graham Slee Accession is feeding a BHK 250 Signature amp here, and it does sound quite decent.

But I have to admit to eyeing that PS Audio Direct Stream DAC...sigh.

EDIT: Here is a link to some interesting stuff about it.

http://www.audiophilia.com/reviews/2016/6/18/ps-audio-bhk-preamplifier

PS_Audio_BHK_pre-amp_2-758x426.png

617ps.ins.jpg

There are some interesting interviews with Bascom

Cheers
Mister Pig

Mr Pig, I love living vicariously through your posts, and gear changes. Keep it up, please.

Mr. Pig I've enjoyed reading your posts on the gear you've gone through, but I've got to stop following you. I've got my system to a place where it sounds very good, but you've continued to drop these "what-if" bombs. Being a naturally curious type wondering how big an improvement a really good pre-amp would make and how much would it cost me. Well, I guess it's time for the Spring thinning of the herd while I search for a replacement.

Mr. Pig I've enjoyed reading your posts on the gear you've gone through, but I've got to stop following you. I've got my system to a place where it sounds very good, but you've continued to drop these "what-if" bombs. Being a naturally curious type wondering how big an improvement a really good pre-amp would make and how much would it cost me. Well, I guess it's time for the Spring thinning of the herd while I search for a replacement.

I know right! I cannot afford to follow myself. I think this is going to have to do me for a good while, as my audio kitty will be tapped out. I don't think there is much more I could do to the system actually. Perhaps a speaker upgrade one day, but that is going to have to be awhile down the road.

Cheers
Mister Pig

I know right! I cannot afford to follow myself. I think this is going to have to do me for a good while, as my audio kitty will be tapped out. I don't think there is much more I could do to the system actually. Perhaps a speaker upgrade one day, but that is going to have to be awhile down the road.

Cheers
Mister Pig
I almost think I’ve heard this story before:D and then you drop another upgrade bomb on us. But it’s great fun! You’ve built a wonderful system, you write well, and you’ve allowed us to share in your adventures. Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom