Unidentified Speakers.....Can Anyone Shed Some Light?

One other suggestion. Post your location and spend 25.00 to join barter town. You might have lots of fellow Akers that will have lots of good speaker offerings for little money.
Thank you very much, nolasally. I appreciate you for that valuable information that I didn't know about. And thanks for the receiver compliment. Good to meet you.

These speakers seem to love classical music with horns. The acoustic response clarity is unlike any I've heard so far. I do have these paired up with some two-way floor speakers in four-channel mode.

I'm not sure if you said you had any kind of a meter but since all drivers are playing, the only thing to really be worried about is the ancient caps in the crossover. A meter would only be much help if it had a capacitance function which many do not. If you're thinking of continuing into the audio tinkering hobby you might consider acquiring a good meter. There are threads about those including one I liked about mid-priced ($50-$100) meters.

Still looking forward to the numbers off the backs of the drivers, and post some pics of the drivers and the crossover if you can.

BTW as far as these being 'not worth the effort', they are a great pair of speakers to learn on, especially if you already like the sound. You will surely run across better ones if you keep looking. It beats poking a hole in a very expensive driver with a screwdriver, which is a very common mishap. :D

You're doing fine in your venture into vintage audio. A $20 investment is pocket change, and if you end up liking them, all the better. Just take your time and learn all you can (and, you will never stop learning!) while experimenting with various gear. Each time you make a mistake, you will learn a very important lesson - what you don't like and what not to do! These negative adventures will add just as much to your knowledge base as the positive ones.

Just be careful with what you read online. You will quickly learn to distinguish between opinion (95%) and fact (the rest, maybe). Remember, you're venturing into the realm of sound, filtered through individual ears and brains (oh, boy:dunno:) mixed in with legacy, rumor, brand preferences, and one-upsmanship. And that is what makes all of this so much fun!

Welcome to the game. Batter up!

GeeDeeEmm

BTW as far as these being 'not worth the effort', they are a great pair of speakers to learn on, especially if you already like the sound. You will surely run across better ones if you keep looking. It beats poking a hole in a very expensive driver with a screwdriver, which is a very common mishap. :D
Thank you very much, toxcrusadr. I greatly appreciate and value all the information you share with me. On my next day off from work I will open them up and hopefully get a little more information. I've been pressure washing all day and if I try to remove the drivers now, I will most likely punch holes into the drivers because my hands are so tired. But on my next day off I'm going to do it. I'm just curious for curious sake as I really don't know what I'm looking for. How can I tell if these drivers are built and designed well? The magnet and yoke size? Or the construction of the cone and surrounds? I'm new to the old stuff. Thanks

You're doing fine in your venture into vintage audio. A $20 investment is pocket change, and if you end up liking them, all the better. Just take your time and learn all you can (and, you will never stop learning!) while experimenting with various gear. Each time you make a mistake, you will learn a very important lesson - what you don't like and what not to do! These negative adventures will add just as much to your knowledge base as the positive ones.

Just be careful with what you read online. You will quickly learn to distinguish between opinion (95%) and fact (the rest, maybe). Remember, you're venturing into the realm of sound, filtered through individual ears and brains (oh, boy:dunno:) mixed in with legacy, rumor, brand preferences, and one-upsmanship. And that is what makes all of this so much fun!

Welcome to the game. Batter up!

GeeDeeEmm
Thank you very much, gdmoore28. I appreciate the valuable information you've provided. I know all of your information comes from experience and I appreciate you sharing that with me. I'm having so much fun already since I've joined AK. I know I'm amongst some great people on here. I'm grateful and appreciative for that.

Thank you. I imagine a speaker treasure is truly in the eye of the beholder. Or should I say in the ear of the beholder. :music: I do find the fact that they have a catalog and a lot number kind of interesting. Like you said they are not anything quite noticeable. The driver and tweeter layouts are unique in their own rights. The back vents have a steel mesh screen and when I peeked into them with a flashlight, the back portions of the cabinets are partitioned about halfway deep (which is six inches) and halfway width (which is seven inches). The left side vent has a gold shiny colored sponge/foam towards the mid-bottom portion and the right side vent has the same kind of sponge/foam towards the mid-top portion. Also the mdf board seams have a thin bead line of dark brown caulk/glue. That's about all the details I have now until I decide to remove the drivers. And they are heavy heavy heavy.
Dont let anybody say otherwise. Im familiar with those woofers, and I must say they are damn fine drivers. If i were to change one design aspect, it would be to move one of the tweets directly below the other to reduce comb filtering effects. Easily done with a holesaw. Maybe id do the same with one of the woofers too, but at that point, maybe too much work.

Or perhaps id line them all up along one side in a d'appolito layout.

The point is, you have some fine ingredients there.

the important thing with this hobby is to have fun! so who cares about 20 dollars.

now those tweeters showed up on many (and others!) Lafayette speakers in the 70's like '73 or 74. i recall them having a decent sound.

Dont let anybody say otherwise. Im familiar with those woofers, and I must say they are damn fine drivers. If i were to change one design aspect, it would be to move one of the tweets directly below the other to reduce comb filtering effects. Easily done with a holesaw. Maybe id do the same with one of the woofers too, but at that point, maybe too much work.

Or perhaps id line them all up along one side in a d'appolito layout.

The point is, you have some fine ingredients there.
Thanks Gazdatronik for your positive opinion and support. If I ever decide to reconstruct those cabinets, I will ask you for ideas and help in doing so. I appreciate you. I'm about to post some photos of how I have them speakers setup in my control center.

the important thing with this hobby is to have fun! so who cares about 20 dollars.

now those tweeters showed up on many (and others!) Lafayette speakers in the 70's like '73 or 74. i recall them having a decent sound.
Thanks nexus. I'm learning so much now about what kind of ingredients I have in these cabinets. Thanks a bunch for the information.

I just purchased these mystery cabs five days ago and this is how they're fitted into my control center. And right now I've only got them and the cabs they're sitting on hooked up to the receiver. 20170613_190002.jpg20170613_190010.jpg 20170613_215158-1.jpg

Last edited:
I have a few speaker selectors. They are in very good condition. I will PM you and let you know what I have and see if you have interest.

I use this. You can run 4 ohm speakers, but only one set at a time. However, you can run four sets of 8 ohm speakers at the same time. The box will keep a constant 4 ohm or better load out. Solid switches, metal box. My only gripe is the speaker wire connectors. Spring loaded and wont take anytjing bigger than 16 ga. Wire, not a problem for me as the wire runs aren't that long, around 10'. Lots of options out there. Some with multiple amp inputs as well. 81G+PZrgTBL._SY355_.jpeg

That one with individual volume controls will be much more expensive than a simple switch selector that turns them on and off. Depends on what you want to do.

BTW you could lay your speakers on their sides, at least maybe the upper part of the stack, to get them closer to ear level.

As for the driver quality, generally speaking: heavier, larger magnets, that sort of thing. But for every rule there are exceptions. Some fabulous speakers have been made with ho-hum looking drivers.

Back
Top Bottom