Unknown Audioquest Cartridge, Can You Identify it?

Ron13a

Revolver of Vinyl
I checked Vinyl Engine and Googled it with image search to no avail. Can anyone ID this cart? Please?
Here a pic from three different angles.
Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 5.44.09 PM.png

I have the exact same cartridge. Have never been able to find out the answer to your question though. I can tell you it's a visual match for the Benz Micro MC Silver. I have just used the specs for the Benz to set it up and that seems to work fine.

https://www.needledoctor.com/Benz-Micro-Silver-MC-Cartridge

My understanding is that Benz Micro used a factory in Japan for their MC and lower lines. Good chance these AQ cartridges were made on the same lines. I did send an e-mail to AQ but never heard back.

Only time I tried the cartridge was on a Rega deck. Wasn't my favorite. But, would like to try again on a more warm sounding deck. The lowish output at 2mv was also not as friendly on my tube based phono stages (high noise floor). In short I didn't have good synergy with it, but not giving up on it either.
20180521_195914.jpg

Thanks for the info! Mine has a rather high output for a moving coil. I'm using it in the MM input, not the MC input on my amp.

"My understanding is that Benz Micro used a factory in Japan for their MC and lower lines. Good chance these AQ cartridges were made on the same lines."

I beleve the AQ 404, a popular and highly-reviewed HOMC from the '80s, was made by Scan-Tech in Japan. I have an AQ 909 LOMC (different body shape) and also think it was Scan-Tech. But two "I thinks" don't make it so...

Last edited:
After doing some digging around, I think your cartridge is an AQ MC5, a rare HOMC. There were two other HOMCs in the line: MC3 and MC4. Photos are hard to come by, but it looks like the MC3 had a blue body while the MC4 was gold. All were apparently quite good cartridges.

Checking back in to share a new experience with this cartridge. Last night I decided to try it out again on a DC motor modified AR-XA with Rega RB-250 arm. Previously I had only ever tried it on stock MM phono stages with 47k loading. Should be good to go, but never really dug the cartridge so would always eventually change it out. Always sounded anemic. Good sparkle, but something missing. I got it as NOS in a trade and probably only ever put 100-150 hours on it in total.

Well, now have a vintage Hitachi integrated amp with adjustable impedance loading on the MM stage (100k, 47k, 22k, and 100Ω), and a MC input with a fixed 100Ω load. The phono stage has 40db gain with an additional 20db in MC mode. Chucked it up and went to town playing with different settings.

At 2mv of output the cartridge definitely needed to be cranked up more than I was used to. But, the noise floor on this amp was still low enough that it wasn't a problem. Normal listening with a 5mv MM cartridge would be between 9 and 11:00 on the dial. Now pushing 12-1:00 + to achieve the same levels but it still sounded pretty thin and not satisfying.

Carefully tried the MC input at 60db gain (worried I might overload the phono stage) and the gain kind of hit just about the right spot. But somewhat changed the character of the sound and not really for the better. The top end was virtually absent. My understanding is that, yeah, at 60db gain 2mv would be too much for the phono stage. However, the combination of too low of an input impedance actually lowering the gain somewhat, and the headroom of the phono stage means it shouldn't really be a problem. (spec'd overload for this phono stage is 300mv MM, and 30mv MC)

Playing around with the input impedance of the MM input revealed some interesting changes. Dropping from 47k down 22k seamed to smooth it out some, but dropping to 100Ω on the MM seriously cut the gain and rolled off the top end somewhat. If I cranked it in 100Ω MM the sound was actually getting a lot fuller sounding. Just not enough gain to be practical.

So, here's where it got interesting. I dragged out my SUT (vintage Harmon Kardon XT-3 mic transformers) and set it for 1:10 step up ratio. BAM! Totally transformed this cartridge. Suddenly this thing is so musical it's not even funny. Very low noise floor. Details for days. Beautiful mid-range that I've never heard from this cart. Just the slightest hint of bass bloat, but it does dig deep. So far everything I've thrown at it from Rickie Lee Jones, to Rush, to Steely Dan, to Black Sabbath, to Queen sounds fantastic.

But wait, using a SUT with a HOMC is heresy isn't it?

By my calcs; 1:10 step of ratio on the 47k setting means I have an actual input impedance of 470Ω. If I follow the specs for the original Benz Micro Silver this would be approx. 4x times the internal impedance of 120Ω. When I switch between inputs the nominal volume seems to very closely match my tuner and vintage Magnavox CD player (both of which I believe output 1.5v), with indicates that the gain out of the phono stage is just about right for the preamp section.

I seem to have hit the sweet spot and am currently enamored of this cartridge. So glad I never sold it. Of course, YMMV but I now think that with some HOMC there is more to them than just slapping them on a standard 47k MM phono stage. Again, if we look at the original specs for the early Benz Micro the recommended loading is >200Ω - 47kΩ. So, that means just plugging it into a stock MM phono input puts that cart at the top range of acceptable input impedance. No wonder it sounded anemic to me.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/benz_micro_silver_e.html

20180715_172741.jpg

20180715_172755.jpg

20180715_172853.jpg

Last edited:
YMMV but I now think that with some HOMC there is more to them than just slapping them on a standard 47k MM phono stage
Thanks Dogwan. I have 4 HOMCs I never use — now I'll have fun trying them all as if for the first time, starting at your recommended settings. Two, Nakamichi and Dynavector, never sounded as good as I thought they would — maybe they're hidden gems like yours. I'll report back.

Have you been able to identify the stylus shape and cantilever material? A simple 'scope of 30 to 60X should tell you.

And, if I may pry, which Hitachi amp is it?

And a favor please — stop writing about it! You'll start a run.

Thanks Dogwan. I have 4 HOMCs I never use — now I'll have fun trying them all as if for the first time, starting at your recommended settings. Two, Nakamichi and Dynavector, never sounded as good as I thought they would — maybe they're hidden gems like yours. I'll report back.

Have you been able to identify the stylus shape and cantilever material? A simple 'scope of 30 to 60X should tell you.

And, if I may pry, which Hitachi amp is it?

And a favor please — stop writing about it! You'll start a run.

The amp is a Hitachi HA-7700. 75 watts of Dual-Mono MosFet goodness. Definitely a keeper. I don't think many made it into the states, but maybe marketed in Canada?

The cartridge has an Aluminum Alloy cantilever with a .3 x.7 elliptical. Nothing super special in that dept., but still very nice.

Audioquest.jpg Audioquest3.jpg

My AQ MC4. Installed on my TD-165 around 1989 or 1990. Ran it directly into the phono in of a Pioneer SA 6500 II up until 4yrs ago when the stylus got snagged on a cleaning rag. Was really bummed. Really enjoyed it. This thing turned magnetic north every time I tried to take a picture! I've read it's a crap shoot to repair but I'm tempted.

At least some Onkyo preamps had variable cartridge loading with a specific HOMC setting, which made a major difference with the cartridges I tried. Into the standard MM setting they sounded dull - undynamic and not much detail. On the HOMNC setting, they were good cartridges.
Not sure that I'd set them against LOMCs, but the ones I had were not in the usual LOMC price range, either.

Back
Top Bottom