Unknown Tube Guitar Amplifier ?

Gary Mattis

Maybe someone knows what this is ? . Wierd number on the output tubes. 6BM8/ECL 82 . I got it working properly, had a shorted out output tube that almost ruined the amp , was cutting out and blowing caps and heating up the PT. I recapped it and added a external speaker Jack. Seems like 2 class A amps built together into one , one output tube for Tremelo and one output tube for normal, it looks like a push pull el84 but it is not . I think that it may have fried out the Tremelo section, I don't have a 6BM8 output tube to test it with, so I can't be sure if it did, or not , until I get another 6BM8 tube to try it. Just curious to figure out what brand and model this amp is. I'M Not messing with a Unknown Tremelo without a wiring diagram. The tone pot has a square box on it ? I Was wondering what it is ?, says TOBE type D 200v. On it , See pic. No name or number anywhere on the amp itself.

Attachments

• 20180729_234843.jpg
    20180729_234843.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20180729_223729.jpg
    20180729_223729.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Looks like two speakers @ pic 1; what size and what make (if make is scripted on the frame(s) and what "code" (if any) is printed on the speaker frames? If they're original that info might be helpful in identifying the make of the amplifier.

That square "box" @ the backside of the tone pot is s.t. I've never seen, but one who might have is moderator of these pages, i.e., Celt. Paging @Celt !

Looks like two speakers @ pic 1; what size and what make (if make is scripted on the frame(s) and what "code" (if any) is printed on the speaker frames? If they're original that info might be helpful in identifying the make of the amplifier.

That square "box" @ the backside of the tone pot is s.t. I've never seen, but one who might have is moderator of these pages, i.e., Celt. Paging @Celt !
Not original speakers been changed.

A little bit but it seems like there is a decided lack of "plastic" material @ the various body parts for it to be a VALCO-constructed product. Just my two cents.

???

Not all Valcos were made for Mongomery Ward. There's no plastic on my Valco except for the chicken-head knobs and the power-light lens. Finger-jointed plywood cab, metal chassis, and tweed (at least it had tweed on it 60 or so years ago).

If it's a Valco built unit you should find a schematic here, along with hundreds of other old amps:

http://www.valcoamp.com/schematics/

Good luck.

National, Supro, Valco, Silvertone, Gretsch, Gibson, etc usually had enough pride to put their name on the product, so I doubt it's a "brand name".

???

Not all Valcos were made for Mongomery Ward. There's no plastic on my Valco except for the chicken-head knobs and the power-light lens. Finger-jointed plywood cab, metal chassis, and tweed (at least it had tweed on it 60 or so years ago).

If it's a Valco built unit you should find a schematic here, along with hundreds of other old amps:

http://www.valcoamp.com/schematics/

Good luck.

National, Supro, Valco, Silvertone, Gretsch, Gibson, etc usually had enough pride to put their name on the product, so I doubt it's a "brand name".

Citing the presence (or not) of plastic parts was not intended as a derogatory comment. Hell, I had National and Supro model geetars that were damn-near constructed entirely of plastic and loved 'em. Same w/ the amps, most of which were plastic-packed when manufactured by Valco. (Guitar case closed?)

Could be a Massie sold by St.George ? St.George/ Massie of LA Cal., From Massie Mfg. , The Same Ray Massie from Fender ? . I Found a partial picture of a St.George/Massie amp that looks very similar to this one. I'm Not sure but I think it could be a early 60's Ray Massie amplifier from Massie Mfg.in LA, St. George was a distributor who put his logo on many different brands. There is no actual proof except for one tech who says it was Ray Massie and one student who bought one new that says that Massie mfg. Was actually Ray Massie from Fender amplifiers, but there is a lot of hersey and second hand testamony that Ray Massie from Fender amplifiers was the amp builder at Massie Mfg. In L.A. Cal., I think it could be a Massie amp from LA Cal. , but Was it built by Ray Massie ? Who knows ! , What model is it ? , Who knows ! , I have no idea ? . St.George a Music Distributor was out of Hollywood Cal. , An interesting thing was that the guitar students teacher was selling the Massie amps and the student complained that it lacked treble, the teacher said to him that Ray Massie would increase the treble for him , this amp I'm working on also seems to lack treble and the tone pot in it works backwards ?. Never saw or heard of Massie Amplifiers before so I don't really know anything about them. This amp seems like a pretty cheap model at the near bottom of the line. The Tremelo and two output tubes and 2 speakers are the only thing between it and the very bottom of the line as I see it. Was about 30 or 40 dollars new is my guess !. My first guitar amp was a 10 watt tube amp from Sears that cost 39 dollars, Kay Jaguar style guitar with it , that was 1964/1965 ish. No Tremelo on mine but it had a much bigger cabinet and was pretty reliable, it went 10 year's on the original tubes. In the late 60's I Put a Phillips screwdriver hole in the speaker to make it break up some and it worked pretty good !. Once I turned 15 I got a job pumping gas and I bought some better stuff , but for 10 year's I used that cheap stuff and it was not that bad all being American made.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom