UofMTiger's Den

Nice all around.....very well planned out and it shows. Hopefully you work from home to have enough time to enjoy all the toys. If I came home at 5pm, I would never see my family, they would have to come see me in my room!

:yes: :music:
Thank you!

Unfortunately, I don't work from home and don't spend as much time with my toys as I would like.

I have seen threads that discuss whether you should invest all your money in one great setup or spread out and have several setups in different rooms, so you have access no matter where you want to be. I have obviously gone the "spread out" direction, but it does end up with each setup being used less than one great system. I am still not sure which route is best, but with several setups, my loved ones see me more often, even if I am in another zone with headphones on. :music: If I had one dedicated room, it would definitely get used a higher percentage of the time, but my girlfriend would probably not be too happy.

My office was just highlighted on a site called "What They Use". If you like to see home offices, it is a cool site that shows a lot of different offices with some information about the machines that are used. :thmbsp:

Didn't want to bump this, but I thought I would edit my last post for some new pics. I moved my PS3 from my living room into the office and moved some other stuff around:

OFFICE by uofmtiger, on Flickr

This one is with the album covers removed. You can sort of see the PS3's red light right next to the Rolling Stone Album Guide. I also added the Synology NAS since the last time I posted.
7273159_orig.jpg

Last edited:
This is just an update related to getting a digital signal out of the iPhone/iPad with certain unpowered DACs. In the past, the only way I found that this was possible is with a Dr Bott T3hub. Dr Botts is no longer in business, so when people have asked how to go about using a Dragonfly DAC with their iPhones, I have always mentioned the T3hub, but have said that it is nearly impossible to find.

Luckily, I ran across a device that is readily available called "Plugable" USB hub:

7275711_orig.jpg

It is less cumbersome than the T3hub (it has two USB inputs and the T3hub has 3) and I have tested it with the iPhone 6 plus and the iPad Air 2 (with a Dragonfly DAC) and it works great. Unfortunately, I could not get it to work with the 4S, so it still isn't as good at tricking the earlier iPhones into believing it is getting enough power (the main issue with using an unpowered DAC with the iPhone).

In the pic above, you can see that the Dragonfly is magenta, which means it is pulling a 96khz signal. Below has a better pic of the cable and what it looks like with a 44.1 signal:

6193081_orig.jpg

The Plugable costs less than $10, so I am going to get a coupe more just in case.

I also got my first pair of Bluetooth noise canceling headphones. The Parrot Zik 2 headphones call themselves the "most advanced headphones in the world" and if you need customizable (via iOS or Android apps) noise canceling headphones that have their own equalizer that affects audio from all apps, these things work great.

7376710_orig.jpg

Last edited:
Yikes. I just happened on this thread from your signature (My Stuff) UOMT. I must say, extremely well organized, a plethora of stellar equipment, and yet very easy on the eyes in every room.

Well done, sir. Thanks for sharing with us. :thumbsup:

Beautiful and awesome! I am indeed very envious of how clean and beautiful you can make everything look.
Thank you for your comments!

Yikes. I just happened on this thread from your signature (My Stuff) UOMT. I must say, extremely well organized, a plethora of stellar equipment, and yet very easy on the eyes in every room.

Well done, sir. Thanks for sharing with us. :thumbsup:
Thank you! It was fun to see this pop up again.

I have made some small changes to my office since my last post ( a 4k display on the left). I also moved a Denon 3808CI receiver into the room. I never liked the Sony. I don't have a current pic, so I will see if I can get time to take one soon.

The only things to change in the living room were updates to an AppleTV4, Roku4, and an Nvidia Shield. I also put together a portable projector setup that consists of a 16:9 100 inch screen (mounted on a tripod) and an Epson projector.

Office Update by Derek, on Flickr

4545203.jpg

Nice upgrade.

Because I have two homes thousands of miles apart, I decided long ago to spread out my listening focus to many rooms, so like you, I have many separate systems in many rooms in two homes. Strangely, but lately, I find myself listening to a Sony AV Receiver in my AV room above all else, because I like the "JAZZ CLUB" setting. I'm not a huge fan of modern Sony, but what can I say, my ears tell me differently. I also spend a great deal of time in my patio when I'm on my mainland home, even thought that system is "Medium Grade" my most AKers standards. We do what we do I suppose. My motto, "If it sounds good, just listen."

Also, I too used an HD Projector as an HDTV for a while when they first came out. Not a bad way to go, but lately it's just an HDTV in a few rooms.

Great thread you have here, and some wonderful system set-ups. Congrats.

Nice upgrade.

Because I have two homes thousands of miles apart, I decided long ago to spread out my listening focus to many rooms, so like you, I have many separate systems in many rooms in two homes. Strangely, but lately, I find myself listening to a Sony AV Receiver in my AV room above all else, because I like the "JAZZ CLUB" setting. I'm not a huge fan of modern Sony, but what can I say, my ears tell me differently. I also spend a great deal of time in my patio when I'm on my mainland home, even thought that system is "Medium Grade" my most AKers standards. We do what we do I suppose. My motto, "If it sounds good, just listen."

Also, I too used an HD Projector as an HDTV for a while when they first came out. Not a bad way to go, but lately it's just an HDTV in a few rooms.

Great thread you have here, and some wonderful system set-ups. Congrats.
The main issue with my Sony receiver was that it was the bottom of the line, so it does not convert analog video inputs to HDMI. That one missing feature was a killer because I have several analog video signals that I would like to be able to send to both monitors and the Denon allows that with an HDMI splitter. Also, I had to run a lot more cables to the TV rather than one HDMI. It wasn't ideal for the room. I did not have any problems with the sound, but I usually left it in a bypass mode that simply passed through audio from my Cambridge DACMagic.

We still have the Plasma HDTV in the living room. We pull the projector out for sports and movies, though.

I like listening outside, as well. I don't have a picture of the setup, but it is an Airport Express feeding a Sonic T-amp which feeds a pair of Insignia speakers. We have it in a "sunroom", so I just open the windows when I am out there. The setup is far from audiophile quality, but I think the open space makes it difficult to get decent sound anway.

Edit: I found a couple ancient (2006) photos from the sunroom that give you an idea of how it is setup. The iPod has been replaced with an Airport Express over the years (still using that T-amp and Acoustic Research thing, though). We simply spin the speakers around when we are outside (the other speaker isn't in the pic, but it is to the right of one of the chairs):

large.jpg

large.jpg

Last edited:
VERY nice! Thanks for sharing that. It reminds me of my first home in Florida except my screened patio encompassed the pool.

I have my sunroom fixed up to look like a hunting and fishing lodge, so the audio rigs are vintage to match the decor and I've got a full rack including Reel to Reel and Turntable. Yet, because I'm usually lounging out there, I'm mostly streaming audio rather than spinning Vinyl or messing with tape. I rarely use the other components, they just look good sitting there. ;)

VERY nice! Thanks for sharing that. It reminds me of my first home in Florida except my screened patio encompassed the pool.

I have my sunroom fixed up to look like a hunting and fishing lodge, so the audio rigs are vintage to match the decor and I've got a full rack including Reel to Reel and Turntable. Yet, because I'm usually lounging out there, I'm mostly streaming audio rather than spinning Vinyl or messing with tape. I rarely use the other components, they just look good sitting there. ;)
Ours isn't heated or air conditioned (although I have a portable AC that I keep out there, but with Memphis heat it is just fighting an uphill battle). Also, the hot tub, which I use in the cooler months can generate a lot of heat and moisture. As a result, I don't have anything expensive out there.

The Airport Express lets me control the tunes from the pool (I have an older iPhone 4S in a Lifeproof case that I use as a remote) or the deck when I am grilling out (another one of my hobbies). Luckily, the Airport Express is holding up under those conditions.

Would love to see pics of your "lodge". Do you have a thread with pics?

Ours isn't heated or air conditioned (although I have a portable AC that I keep out there, but with Memphis heat it is just fighting an uphill battle). Also, the hot tub, which I use in the cooler months can generate a lot of heat and moisture. As a result, I don't have anything expensive out there.

The Airport Express lets me control the tunes from the pool (I have an older iPhone 4S in a Lifeproof case that I use as a remote) or the deck when I am grilling out (another one of my hobbies). Luckily, the Airport Express is holding up under those conditions.

Would love to see pics of your "lodge". Do you have a thread with pics?

No I don't but if you check you PM, you just may find a surprise waiting.

I went ahead and ordered two Airplay devices from Amazon. One genuine Apple and one 3rd party that does Airplay and a bunch of other applications from Google and others. The reviews on this were spectacular, and it was inexpensive. I'll give a quick review after I receive them and give them a listen and workout.

No I don't but if you check you PM, you just may find a surprise waiting.

I went ahead and ordered two Airplay devices from Amazon. One genuine Apple and one 3rd party that does Airplay and a bunch of other applications from Google and others. The reviews on this were spectacular, and it was inexpensive. I'll give a quick review after I receive them and give them a listen and workout.
Thanks for the PM, it brightened my day!

I have seen some of these third party devices with AirPlay and other features ( like DLNA), but haven't tried them. I look forward to your review.

Derek, I'm very jealous that you've been featured on Apartment Therapy. It's been a personal dream of mine to host an AT photographer here too :)

Space and gear is lovely as well. Can't help but love the huge TV integration

Derek, I'm very jealous that you've been featured on Apartment Therapy. It's been a personal dream of mine to host an AT photographer here too :)

Space and gear is lovely as well. Can't help but love the huge TV integration
I was the AT photographer. ;) They used my photos from Flickr.

you are very blessed! im sure you deserve all of these wonderful things! I just love it all! :bigok:
Thank you!
Mighty nice! I'm sure you can enjoy music, computing, or videos in a relaxing way.
Yes, I like the setups quite a bit. I did make some changes recently, though.

I added a 4K display (Vizio 43 inch) and Onkyo 4K receiver to my office. I ditched the Logitech speakers, but added a Polk sub, Polk center channel, and moved a couple of my small Presidian speakers to the back for 5.1 channel audio ( even though I listen to mainly 2 channel audio).
room_1_orig.jpg

tigers.jpg

I also made some changes to the main setup, but still have to get done new pics.

frontnoreflect_orig.jpg

I really like the Onkyo for my small space. The room correction requires you to place the mic in one spot and it does the rest.

Well, I haven't posted pics in a while. I moved my Monitor Audio speakers to my girlfriend's place and replaced them with B&W 684 speakers (front and middle). I got them, a slim Marantz NR 1603 receiver and a B&W sub for $200 (the Marantz and sub are currently in the bedroom) thanks to a friend that is downsizing.

room2_orig.jpg

livingupdate_orig.jpg

As I have mentioned, I have a HomePod between the kitchen (left) and living room. This allows me to use it for casual music in the kitchen and control the AppleTV connected to my main system. Also, the sunroom is right outside the kitchen and there is an Airport Express that can also take commands from the HomePod. Another cool thing is that if I am outside, if I have my iPhone nearby, I can just tell it to play music in Sunroom using Siri and music automatically plays. Most of the other stuff is the same since I have been pretty happy overall. However, Airplay 2 has added a lot of convenience to the space.

homepod_orig.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks PrestigeWW!

Here is an updated list of stuff being utilized in the system:

Denon X4200W Receiver (this has allowed me to use the components in two separate spaces and gave me a dedicated HDMI out for my Projector)
Emotiva UPA-1 mono blocks
B&W 684s and HTM61
Monitor Audio RSFX speakers
Oppo 980H universal DVD player
Nintendo Wii
Monster Reference PowerCenter HTS 3500 MKII
Project Debut III Turntable
Bellari VP129 tube amp
Project Speed Box II
Elemental Designs A2-300 sub
Panasonic DMP-BDT100 Bluray Player
Coolerguys cabinet fans
AppleTV4
Nvidia Shield
Steam Link
Roku 4
Ethernet router
Harmony and Simple Control Remotes/Amazon Dot
Tivo Bolt
HomePod (for music and for music control of main system)
Epson 5040ub projector (temporary use when I pull it out for a movie or game..typically weekend use only)
100 inch Tripod Screen that I keep in nearby closet

I haven't played video games in a while, but no real reason to pull the Wii or Link from the system. Maybe I will be in the mood at some point and they will be easily available. Most of the time, I am using the AppleTV or the Tivo.

Red Chair Headphone area
Yamaha WXC-50
LIttle Dot MKIII
Little Dot DAC
Marantz 2220B
Pinnacle PN5+ speakers
Amazon Dot Bluetooth (turns on receiver thanks to iDevice plug and can send it audio via Bluetooth)
Chromecast Audio

I mainly use this setup for headphone use. However, I like the tuner on the Marantz, so it is great for local sports.

Samsung PN63B590 63-Inch 1080p from initial post is now in bedroom
PS3 was moved to home office (haven't had it on in a long time)

I will try to get pics of my bedroom setup at some point. I mainly use it for music thanks to the Marantz having Airplay and a connected AppleTV4. It is setup for movies,but it has been a year or more since we watched a movie back there.

room2-2_orig.jpg

With my Monitor Audio RS6 speakers being replaced, I took them to my girlfriend's place. I also brought her my Sony STR-DH790 since it has Bluetooth built in and she can use it with her Samsung phone or my iPhone.

She seems to enjoy them almost as much as I enjoying her having them:

Back
Top Bottom