Upgrade from Rega Brio-R to Elicit-R with Harbeth or B&W

Sounds like you're having fun with it, no matter what!
I'm curious if it's just a matter of being left on over night or if the fresh light of day gave you a new perspective on the Elex. Either way, I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the expanded soundstage. I also had a good chuckle at the depth and "holography" comment - first time I heard that one but strangely it made sense :)

Keep us posted on whether Elex-R manages to retain it's prime place in your setup!

southp: it's most definitely a case of the amp's sound changing. I know this is a subject of endless debate here at AK, but I'm 100% sure. My ears have been dialed in in some of the best recording studios in LA, NY and Nashville and I'm pretty adept at hearing minute changes and differences between cables, tubes, mic press and compressors, etc.

artk: if not for the epic Bio-R thread, I probably would have never ended up with this Elex-R. Just sayin'...

Just thought I'd bring back my thread from early 2015. It's rare to say this in our little hobby, but not a single thing has changed in my setup since my last post over a year ago. I'm just so fond of this setup Elicit-R, Rp3 and B&W 805 and I don't have a the slightest itch to mix it up. I thought I had achieved a similar contentment with my previous vintage McIntosh rig, but the nuances of drifting channels and remote-less operation had kept my eye wandering.

If I had to ponder some next steps, it's going to be a cartridge change on the table (currently a Reg Exact), or perhaps I'll finally get around to completing my Lenco L75 project table and I'll try that one in the main system. The thought of going to an RP6 doesn't seem worth it at that price.

...or maybe I'll finally get the basement listening room done-up and I'll get to build a whole other system!

What can i say, i love Rega amp so i bought another one. Two British Amps powering two Canadian Speakers

My main system, i upgraded the amp from Rega Elex-R to Rega Elicit R and moving my Rega Elex-R to bedroom setup

37072465366_d4c906ef95.jpg

Main music room with Reference 3a De Capo now using Elicit-R after being powered by Elex-R for 2 years
36987278660_2cdc352f73.jpg

Moved the Elex-R to Bedroom setup
PSB Synchrony One B now being powered by Rega Elex-R
37213186962_8271fda2b9.jpg

I love my BrioR but now I'm wanting more horsepower. I have a VPI Prime TT and Hana SH cartridge now and I'm shocked how good the Brio R phono section compliments the new analog setup. I was looking hard at a Parasound A21 Halo amp and Halo P5 preamp. Will the Elicit R have much more punch and heft even at lower volumes than the BrioR? Is the phono section as good or better?? The feature set of the ElicitR suits me fine. I don't require tone controls and sub outs and DACs etc. Line inputs, phono and record outputs will do it! Thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom