brillcat

Hi all,

Having recently (Summer 2018) gotten back into LPs, I lucked out and found a Sony PS-LX22 in great condition, just needed some basic servicing and cleaning. After reading many cartridge reviews I installed a new AT95e, and set up the tracking/anti-skating per the manual and used one of the online protractor tools I downloaded. The TT works flawlessly and albums sound good. From my signature you can see my 2.1 audio system is modest but, to my ears, it is very musical.

As I have acquired more and more LPs (mostly 1950s-60s jazz), I am considering a SQ upgrade and looking for advice. The LX22 is mid-pack, at best, in the broad range of vintage TTs, so I question whether or not acquiring a high-line vintage TT (or a new TT) is worth the money. Or, would I be better served upgrading my stylus or cartridge? I am still pretty green when it comes to TTs, so any thoughts and tips would be most welcome.

Last edited:
Why don't you listen to what you have for a while? It may be that in the context of the rest of your system, the turntable/cartridge combination isn't the weak spot. I'd make sure you have quality speaker cables and interconnects. Simple, virtually free fixes like making sure your turntable is well isolated against vibration and is perfectly level, can improve the sound of your system. Play with speaker positioning. That won't cost anything either.

Don't know much about your turntable. Your cartridge is entry level so an upgrade there with something like an Ortofon 2M red or blue, or the Audio Technica VM540, might be worth considering.

Why don't you listen to what you have for a while? It may be that in the context of the rest of your system, the turntable/cartridge combination isn't the weak spot. I'd make sure you have quality speaker cables and interconnects. Simple, virtually free fixes like making sure your turntable is well isolated against vibration and is perfectly level, can improve the sound of your system. Play with speaker positioning. That won't cost anything either.

Don't know much about your turntable. Your cartridge is entry level so an upgrade there with something like an Ortofon 2M red or blue, or the Audio Technica VM540, might be worth considering.

The Sony is a pretty sophisticated electronic marvel, low mass straight tone arm from the early '80.

It would go well with the Audio Technica VM540 cartridge. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the responses everyone. Yes, I have leveled the TT and it is well isolated. I'd guess the AT95E has about 100 hours on it now. That AT VM540 is appealing but beyond my budget (under $150). I have been reading cartridge reviews and the following models look like possible upgrades: NAGAOKA MP-110; Sumiko Pearl; AT100E; AT120EB. What are the pros/cons of these carts, in your experience?

Last edited:
You get a tt to listen to records. Buy records and listen to music, build up your collection.The at 95e is a fine cartridge, it's also new and it boogies. When you'll have a few thousand hours of use on it, you will have a better sense of what you want as an upgrade. It is one of the best bargains in audio, some folks have that exact cart set up on decks that cost thousands of dollars. You can tweak your system by placing components on level surfaces, tighten up and clean your connections, speaker placement... Enjoy what you have, get lp's and listen to music.

I say, if your happy with the set up and cannot find problems or things that bother you, just keep what you got and by records

stupid question - if you are not listening to new records, do you have a disc cleaning machine? It may give you more improvement than a new cart or tt

There's a guy on the auction site selling NOS AT450 P mounts with 1/2 adapter and all the goodies for $66 and change. It has a nude mount elliptical stylus and is several levels above an AT95. This is from a user who run an AT95E and it's cousin the Linn Basik for a lot of years. Great low budget cartridges, but better cartridges can be had for not much more denaro.

Back
Top Bottom