Upgrades and a pic.

Nixxuz

Hello all. I'm not sure if I should add to my old member post or do this one, so I'll do this one.

I've got my system to the point where it's going to be about listening as opposed to collecting more gear...at least for a little while!

Source: Tablet running PowerAmp, Heathkit TT, TEAC 2300SX R2R, JVC 5 disc changer.

Preamp: Little Dot Mk2 with GE driver tubes.

Amp: Dayton APA-150, (soon to be x2 for monoblocks)

Speakers: Jamo C-10 Centers flipped on their sides to run as MTMs with stands. I've even recommended people do this in the past and it was a redditor who clued me in after I missed out on the sale on their 7" bookshelves. These were a heck of a deal when they were on sale for $99 each!

Sub: BIC RTR EV1200. This is pretty much just an F12 with a side firing port and a different look.

The pic includes a lot of random stuff as well. A pair of Mirage Nanosats, some Advent Mini's I need to repair...etc.
Yxmr7Ue - Imgur.jpg

I like your pre/power amp and speakers. Nice job. Your right that a m-t-m center speaker can be used as l & r speakers when placed vertically. Sometimes the problem is that with some manufactures the center speakers will not have much bass extension and need a subwoofer to augment the lower frequencies, but not always the case with larger center speakers.

How do you like your Teac A2300? My friend has one of those, but it's getting on in years and could use some service. I have his recently-acquired Akai GX265D for servicing. Long story on that one. Purchased it from the original owner and was supposed to work perfectly, but no. I'm pretty sure that a through cleaning with DeOxit and re-lubing will cure all of the problems.

I've been a life-long fan of Teac since buying my first new one in 1975 - an A4300SX.
s-l500.jpg

Just lately, though, I've taken a liking to classic Akai units. Currently have the two in my signature. I especially like recording my CD collection to Maxell 35-90 tape. This brand has been utterly reliable, and thus far I have yet to purchase a roll with age-related problems - no warping, no shedding, no sticking. Moving CDs to Maxell yields a very vinyl-like sound quality with beautiful high frequency reproduction, but with none of the problems one would encounter with records.

GeeDeeEmm

Last edited:
How do you like your Teac A2300? My friend has one of those, but it's getting on in years and could use some service. I have his recently-acquired Akai GX265D for servicing. Long story on that one. Purchased it from the original owner and was supposed to work perfectly, but no. I'm pretty sure that a through cleaning with DeOxit and re-lubing will cure all of the problems.

I've been a life-long fan of Teac since buying my first new one in 1975 - an A4300SX.
s-l500.jpg

Just lately, though, I've taken a liking to classic Akai units. Currently have the two in my signature. I especially like recording my CD collection to Maxell 35-90 tape. This brand has been utterly reliable, and thus far I have yet to purchase a roll with age-related problems - no warping, no shedding, no sticking. Moving CDs to Maxell yields a very vinyl-like sound quality with beautiful high frequency reproduction, but with none of the problems one would encounter with records.

GeeDeeEmm
I honestly haven't gotten too far into R2R yet. I've only got few reels of some 40s and 50s stuff that was recorded from LP. Billie Holiday and so forth. Reels can be stupid expensive for anything popular. Haven't bought any blank reels yet either.

I honestly haven't gotten too far into R2R yet. I've only got few reels of some 40s and 50s stuff that was recorded from LP. Billie Holiday and so forth. Reels can be stupid expensive for anything popular. Haven't bought any blank reels yet either.

I admit I am a bit jealous of your Billie Holiday reel. I have a Taj Mahal reel, a Willie Nelson reel, and then a bunch of reels my dad recorded from the radio or records (or tapes).

I think the only pre-recorded tape I have is the Blood, Sweat, and Tears album with Spinning Wheel on it. It just sounds marvelous.

As I noted, be very, very, careful when buying blanks. I'm sure there are other brands that have held up well, but I've purchased new, unopened tapes from some of the top name manufacturers that were literally stuck together throughout the reel. Others have such shedding problems as to be unusable. The Maxell 35 (and other Maxell series, to be honest) is the only brand I've purchased that have zero problems.

GeeDeeEmm

Back
Top Bottom