Upgrades for Technics SL-1300

mallus

I've got an SL-1300 in good mechanical shape. I'm looking for advice from those who are familiar with this model and/or similar models. My goal is to improve the sound.

I've already removed the worn-out stock feet and glued some vibrapods in their place. They don't look out-of-place at all and really seem to stabilize the 'table.

I also plan to buy a new cartridge. Right now I'm leaning towards the AT 440ML, but open to suggestions.

Any other suggestions (other than buying a new TT) would be well appreciated!

Last edited:
Does it still have the original cables attached to the back? I've seen similar vintage Technics tables that have been modified to add RCA jacks, or have had better interconnects than the original stock hard-wired in as replacements.

Just a thought -- Foe

foetusized - Yes, it still has the stock interconnects. That's a great suggestion - I'll check it out. Thanks!

HIFIVINYL15 - I've looked at Grado cartridges, but have heard that they don't mix well with the direct drive Technics tables.

The Grado cartridges are NOT shielded; sometimes, those can pick up motor noise from DD turntables like this, in some cases.

An AT440 should work quite well on this table. If not that, then something like a Shure M97ED would also be another one to look at seriously...

Back
Top Bottom