USB to SPDIF comparisons

kray

HE>i
So I've decided to try out a couple things.

First I want to convert USB from Mac mini to SPDIF to feed my DAC.

I was first going to try the Schiit Eitr, which I've read great things about. Then I stumbled upon that you can use the Topping D10 as a USB to SPDIF converter at less than half the price. I don't like Topping DAC's, but the measurements seem just as good or better than the Eitr for conversion.

This is will help me decide next step. If the D10 does a good job and I can hear the betterment, I'm willing to grab an Eitr to compare. After that comparison, I plan to also try out the Allo DigiOne Signature as a RoonBridge. It has a dedicated SPDIF board with clean power. All in all the most I'd spend here is $350. Gotta love the digital age, keeps getting cheaper to try stuff.

I'll be posting my results. I get the D10 today so that will be the first test.

HiFiMeDIY sells a USB DAC that also is a USB to optical converter. Used one for years and the DAC (ESS Sabre) was great for the sub-$40 price tag. Worked great with a first-generation RPi as well as a "hacked" Pogoplug.

I now use an RPi 3B+/Allo DigiOne wired to the DAC in my preamp via BNC. Mine is set up with Squeezelite as I am a Logitech Media Server user.

HiFiMeDIY sells a USB DAC that also is a USB to optical converter. Used one for years and the DAC (ESS Sabre) was great for the sub-$40 price tag. Worked great with a first-generation RPi as well as a "hacked" Pogoplug.

I now use an RPi 3B+/Allo DigiOne wired to the DAC in my preamp via BNC. Mine is set up with Squeezelite as I am a Logitech Media Server user.

I love my existing DAC, so won't be changing that out. How do you like the Allo's SPDIF output compared to others you've tried?

I love my existing DAC, so won't be changing that out. How do you like the Allo's SPDIF output compared to others you've tried?
I like the DigiOne. Previously I was using a Chromecast Audio as a Squeezebox device into my DAC's optical input. Adding an ifi iPurifier (reclocker) improved things a bit, and replacing it all with the DigiOne is even better.

Got the Topping D10 in. I have an official 75-ohm digital coax being delivered later today (Mogami) but have been playing around with a low capacitance Van Damme RCA cable for now.

So far converting to SPDIF has been very minimal differences but I can hear subtleties differences between the direct USB to Soekris and USB->Topping->SPDIF->Soekris.

The minor differences I do hear sound better feeding the Soekris via SPDIF. More testing to do. Luckily Roon makes it fairly easy to go back and forth after I switch out USB

82F8253D-8BFB-43F7-B535-AA17AD6C321A.jpeg

Last edited:
The XMOS 208 has rave reviews, it's pretty much the latest technology.

I use the Singxer F-1, with power supplied from iFi iPower.

It's great. There are less expensive XMOS 208 spdif converters on the market.

I recently added a stand alone dac to my set up. Because my MAC is more than 15 feet from my system I chose to use a Schiit Eitr to convert to SPDIF to solve the distance issue. For me it worked like a charm and I think the Eitr eliminates any USB nuances as it employs the latest USB conversion technology (if you believe everything you read). I also use a Canare coax cable that is meant for an SPDIF signal.

Good luck.

People need to do these comparisons blind, not sighted. Your brain is automatically biasing what you are listening to.
You and I should design the first valid field study, and then do it at an Audiofest.

I have a remote controlled switch box with four inputs, and four matching Belkin Silver coax cables.

The Singxer F-1 would be one of the four converters, I already have that one.

I'd be willing to lug my PC, and the rest, to the event. We'd need matching USB cables, I have quite a few but none are identical.

My DAC doesn’t have a USB or toslink input, so I was forced to find a suitable converter to take the output from my Mac Mini. I did read good things about the Topping D10, but went with the Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 in the end. It’s a nice piece of kit, very heavy and solid for its size, and it does the job I need it to do. In my search I also found a fellow in the Ukraine who is making USB to SPDIF converters which somehow use a tube clock. It seems odd to me, but I’m kind of intrigued to give it a go for the hell of it. I believe the old Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player utilized a tube clock, as did the PrimaLuna CD players...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.de/ulk/itm/362543809645

^^^A double XMOS...very interesting.

Here's my Singxer
image.php

I`ve been using a no longer currently produced Peachtree X1 converter for around 5 years now, running 24/7 with very good results ..
Though it doesn`t have a USB bypass power switch, it`s USB connected to a hub(with nothing else plugged in) that is powered by a non SMPS 3 ampere 5 volt DC power source wall wart..
But, in my case, my, IMHO, OPPO UDP-203 feeding the same exact WAV. ripped music files(via a flash drive, sounds slightly better than the same WAV. originating source music dedicated backup laptop through the X1 USB to S/PDIF coax converter feeding the same HQ DAC, via a quality INDAY brand 4X1 S/PDIF selector switch..
But that is my current setup, and experience..
YMMV.

The F-1 doesn't have a dedicated power connection. I use a short Pangea USB cable from a dedicated sound card (Paul Pang v2). The sound card is power by external 5 VDC, therefore. the Singxer is powered by the same external power source. Forget to mention this is all in a desktop PC.

I use this iFi iPower.

1451734-ifi-ipower-audio-power-supply.jpg

I didn't hear any sound improvement from using external power. Didn't hear any improvement when I installed the Paul Pang card. The Singxer was a noticeable improvement.

Back
Top Bottom