USB to SPDIF converter that will pass AC-3/DD/DTS?

hatrack71

distracted by everything
I have an older 5.1 processor w/ only coax and toslink inputs and a computer w/o either output. I've tried using an M2Tech Hiface going SPDIF coax into the Acurus ACT3. It only does two channel. Reading about the M2tech, I see that it only passes stereo and not multi channel. I am aware of all the settings to change in VLC and classic Windows Media player to render a multi channel stream via SPDIF. My question is what will pass an AC3 without down mixing it to two channel stereo? I am looking at things like V-link and Peachtree T1. Not sure if they will pass AC-3/ DD/ DTS. Anyone had success with any USB to SPDIF converter doing what I'm suggesting? If so, what model are you specifically using. I know that you must have a file that is AC3 encoded and I have tried even using DVDs in the drive with SPDIF output. I need real world experiences and not theories as I've been sent down the wrong road a couple times w/ suggestions. Who is doing this successfully? I find myself only watching movies from my Pc and don't foresee buying a TV, DVD player.....ever but it would be nice to get multi channel that is digital and not analog. In other words Pro- Logic doesn't do it for me and I know some sites stream in AC3. You'd think with all the technology today this would be simple. Please only make suggestions if you are 100% on knowing it works.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom