Used tape decks

JoZmo

As I said before, I know very little about tape decks, what's good and what's not, so I would appreciate opinions on these decks.

All the prices are negotiable.

Is anyone of these worth picking up? They are for sale at a used audio store near me so they have probably been gone over once for cleaning etc.

Aiwa AD-WX808 Double deck, both decks auto reverse, records in reverse, dolby B, C and DBX NR, music search, normal and high speed dubbing.
$95

Onkyo TA-2056 3 head deck, accubias, music search, mic and line inputs, Dolby B&C, silver faceplate.
$95

Sansui D-69C Single cassette, Dolby B&C.
$50

Yamaha K-600 Auto reverse cassette deck, Dolby B&C NR, lots of features.
$95

Thanks

Prices seem a little high to me. You should be able to get a nice deck for 50 to 75 dollars. Unless you are taking about one fo the big Pioneers, Marantz or a Nackimi (SP). I had a K-340 Yammy and it never failed me. Very reliable and sounded good.

X

I have an Onkyo TA-2056 with a black face. I really love this deck.
I like it as much if not more than my TEAC Z-6000 mastering deck, which is a wonderful piece of cassette engineering. I have it in the bedroom system running through the SX-750 and Large Advents. It has a wonderful analog sound.
The price of 95 bucks seems a bit high, though I only paid 7 bucks for mine at a thrift. So if you can get the price down around 60 or so, I would recommend it. The best thing to do is try and listen to it.
Some people like the newer type cassette sound, which tends to be a bit hotter or brighter sounding with the
HX PRO settings and such, but it seems to brighten them too much for my taste. The older decks are a bit smoother and relaxed sounding.
It definetly is worth spending a bit more to get a good quality deck. You will find that tapes you think sound fine in the car or on an old component system type deck are just plain horrible when listened through a high quality deck, and great tapes can sound wonderful. Though in all honesty, cassettes only get so hi-fidelity. However, that said, I am a confirmed cassette-a-holic. Something about the mini spinnin' reels and all the cool buttons and settings that makes it so much fun. And you can usually find them for a good price if you are patient.

Back
Top Bottom