Using a Subwoofer with a Vintage Receiver

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by syracusejim, Dec 14, 2012.

1. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

For low level connections you'd want the X-30.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Billy Dio

Billy Dio Active Member

Even though this would be more complex, you could always grab a newer digital amp (can be had for next to nothing if you know where to look- talking less than $20 for a $300 modern amp 5-10 years old) with an actual sub out line out (low level) and run your "Y" connectors to that amp's CD/AUX "IN". This give benefits of running freq. cuts within that receiver, and allowing you to have a secondary volume control to fine-tune the level the sub plays back. So if you are watching a quiet movie and want more/less bass, just control the volume. Don't want bass for classical song? Turn the secondary pre-amp off. I still have a Pioneer VSX D514S that I'm holding onto just for this reason since going back to older SS 70's stuff. It has a dedicated sub-out, plenty of bass filters and cuts, and works great for that. You could even take it a step further and connect an optical s/pdif converter to accept the RCA from the "Y" connector, then use digital or optical "IN" on the secondary amp as the optical is a little cleaner than RCA to carry signal.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  3. vonclod

vonclod AK Subscriber Subscriber

With my 9090 I tried hooking up my Infinity powered sub via the preouts but going that way I had a hum or groundloop sounding issue. I ended up useing the headphone jack and that worked fine.

4. Justin H

Justin H New Member

Can any one give me some advice on how to add a Jamo D 8SUB to a Sansui AU-8500 Vintage Amp? All 3 channels run speakers, 2 sets of Jamo D 830 bookshelf speakers and some outdoor speakers. Sansui AU-8500 Rear.jpg Jamo D 8SUB.jpg

5. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

Don't have to run from sub to speakers. If the mains are full-range models just leave them connected to "A" or whatever, and run a line from "B" to the sub. Many subs don't include a passive crossover for mains, anyway.

6. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

Sub doesn't appear to have high-level (speaker) connections, in or out. Doesn't he have to use Tape Monitor Out to low-level sub inputs?

7. opnly bafld

opnly bafld AK Subscriber Subscriber

Did you read the posts about using the pre output / main input with Y connectors?

8. the skipper

the skipper Amateur Curmudgeon Subscriber

One does not want to use tape outs for a sub-woofer. They aren't controlled by the receiver/amps volume control.

Justin H likes this.
  9. Justin H

Justin H New Member

Sure did, but is that the only option? What are the N.R Adaptor outputs and the "4 Channel Adaptor" 2 channel outs used for, can I use one of these options?

10. the skipper

Option one

Pick up a pair of these.
    MMF Y splitter.jpg
    https://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-RCA-Splitter-Female-Male/dp/B000V1PB3O

Remove the two pre-out/main in jumpers in the lower right side of your jack panel, Replace them with these.

Run one pair of stereo interconnects from the dangling female connectors to the input of the sub-woofer.

Option two:

Remove those jumpers.

Run one pair of stereo interconnects from the output of the receiver to the input of the sub-woofer.

Run another pair of stereo interconnects from the output of the sub-woofer to the input of the receiver.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  11. Justin H

Justin H New Member

12. opnly bafld

opnly bafld AK Subscriber Subscriber

Noise reduction adapter output or 4 channel (Quad?) adapter; probably not.

Another option is a speaker level to line level adapter:
    https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/speaker_to_line_level.html

What do you have against using the preout/main in?

13. the skipper

Those ARE your pre out options.

14. Justin H

Justin H New Member

No problems with that option, just means I need to order the cables and wait for them to turn up :) Thanks guys, will use the splitter on the pre out option.

15. Justin H

Justin H New Member

Thanks, The 2-ch out works like the tape out, will do until splitter turns up for pre out.

16. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

Thanks, didn't know that. Been a while since I've owned a unit with the feature...

17. Justin H

Justin H New Member

This is really strange, but sometimes the amp is turning the sub volume up and down and sometimes it is not through the 2 - ch out??

18. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

Your receiver does not have three channels. It has two channels and multiple speaker connections.

19. Justin H

Justin H New Member

Yes that is correct, I should have said it has 3 sets of speaker outputs, sorry about that..

20. Justin H

Justin H New Member

Update for all that are interested, the Sub volume is being adjusted by amp volume by using the 4 Channel adaptor, 2-CH out outputs on the Sansui AU-8500. But there is a catch, I run internet radio through the amp and if I turn the amp right down but still have the volume up on the computer the sub still pumps away, but if I use the computer volume (How I have always used it) the sub volume will adjust to suit, turn it right down or mute, no sound, the louder I turn the volume up on the computer the louder the sub goes. This works for me so all resolved.

awillia6 likes this.