Using a tube tester on a power inverter?

yrly

Breaking records is good?
This idea just crossed my mind. Anyone know if this will work? I know these units often modify the sine wave but is there any reason it would effect the readings? I am not talking carting an expensive TOTL tube tester around in the car, just a basic cheapy emissions tester. There have been times when I ran across tubes at say a rummage sale where no electrical outlets were around to even allow you to cart a small tube tester in to test them. Throw a cheapy tube tester in the car, then just plug into the power inverter when needed and test. Assuming it will work. Anyone tried it?

If the tube tester is an old one using tubes and therefore using a step up transformer I would think that any sinewave problems would be removed. As log as it is giving you 110-120V at 60 cycles it should work fine.

I have seen these things at flea markets but never could think of a good reason to buy one. If I can get this damned Seco working without blowing it up like I did the B&K I might have to get one to use for just that.

I don't often run across tubes at garage sales but this could be a great thing for a HamFest.

Gary Kaufman sometimes carries one of those mil surplus Hickocks (what model? TV-7?) with him to swap meets, etc. (it's almost bigger than his little SUV!) and runs it of a li'l inverter. Cheap insurance when you buy tubes with the vigor that he does!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom