Using an album (cd, tape, etc) as a unit of time?

barefootbrew

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Anybody use an album as a unit of time?

For example, I found out today that I can trim and season a brisket then fire up my smoker and bring it to temp in the amount of time it takes to listen to Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus".

Often times if I'm driving somewhere a few hours away and it seems like it is far, then I'll just break it down and think to myself I can listen to "Exile on Main Street", "Innervisions" and "In the Right Place".....then boom, I'm there!

I've always thought of time in lengths of albums.

Anybody else do this or similar?

Well yesterday I got stuck in some construction traffic on the way to the record store and said this is a bummer and do I really need this tonight. While it was taking longer Freebird came on the radio and I pulled up to the store as it ended. So it took me about 10 minutes longer to get there and IMHO it turned out not being a wast of time..

Might want to check out the movie "Hudson Hawk", in which some characters use songs as a time reference. It's a pretty fun movie, too.

Before I hop on the stairmaster I have to make sure the cd I'm listening to is at least 45 minutes long so it doesn't stop before I finish. It surprising how many cd's don't have that much music on them.

Last edited:
On the NYS Thruway from exit 16 to exit 19 at 62 mph is the exact time of Pink Floyd Animals. Yeah I know, 62 mph isn't real fast but I drive tractor trailers for a living.

brilliant - simply brilliant - beer as a measure of time.

I pursued the art of using different measurements of time just before entering college. I had read "Be Here Now" and decided the best thing I could do was to throw my watch away. I used a few different tricks and really just started feeling what time it was. I looked at a clock after I woke up and again maybe about 4:30 in the afternoon. The rest of the time, I would just feel when it was time to go to work, class, etc. I was never late. If asked the time, I was usually within 5 minutes.

I did start measuring time in albums, time it takes to drink a beer, length of class and other clues and cues I picked up on throughout the day.

I pursued the art of using different measurements of time just before entering college. I had read "Be Here Now" and decided the best thing I could do was to throw my watch away. I used a few different tricks and really just started feeling what time it was. I looked at a clock after I woke up and again maybe about 4:30 in the afternoon. The rest of the time, I would just feel when it was time to go to work, class, etc. I was never late. If asked the time, I was usually within 5 minutes.

I did start measuring time in albums, time it takes to drink a beer, length of class and other clues and cues I picked up on throughout the day.

Captain America tossed his watch at the beginning of Easy Rider. Overall, it didn't work out too well for him. I think it's safer just to passively lose it.

Captain America tossed his watch at the beginning of Easy Rider. Overall, it didn't work out too well for him. I think it's safer just to passively lose it.

Good point, great flick! I was probably watching that movie around the same time period as I tossed mine (about 1988 for me).

I don't think it was his inability to keep track of time that was their downfall though!

So far, it has worked out for me.

Sort of... If nobody's home, and I'm going to shower, I get the water to my liking, then put on an album. Usually out of the shower at the ending of the album. Now if I need to use the porcelain throne, then shower, I'll put on a cd.

brilliant - simply brilliant - beer as a measure of time.
Soak the coals.
Drink one beer.
Light the coals.
Drink two beers.
Put the grate on.
Drink one beer while the grate gets to cooking temp.
Put the steaks on.
Drink 1/3 beer while they sear.
Put the lid on and batten down the hatches for slow cooking.
Drink 1 2/3 beers.
Turn the steaks.
Drink one beer.
Pull the steaks - medium rare.
1/3 beer longer = medium.

Soak the coals.
Drink one beer.
Light the coals.
Drink two beers.
Put the grate on.
Drink one beer while the grate gets to cooking temp.
Put the steaks on.
Drink 1/3 beer while they sear.
Put the lid on and batten down the hatches for slow cooking.
Drink 1 2/3 beers.
Turn the steaks.
Drink one beer.
Pull the steaks - medium rare.
1/3 beer longer = medium.

That's what I'm talking about! I like your style.

When you said unit of time thought at first thought you meant LP's were 60 and 70's, and mono LPs were the 50's and 78's were the 30's and 40's extending back into the 20's. CD's were 80's and 90's and streaming and DACs are the current time. Wonder whats going to happen in the 2020's and 2030's.

When I was in high school in the early 60's I couldn't comprehend the idea of Star wars or living to see all 9 episodes of Star wars. I was looking forward to optical tracking of LP's when CD's popped up. I have made the first goal. But the idea of still living to see 2045 at 100 is still beyond my comprehension and what will you you be listening to then?

I was/am able to set my mind alarm to awake at the time I need. Even when sleep-deprived, I can take a 30-minute nap and wake on time. Handy when I was travelling as a salesman.

As a side note, do you know why the first CD's were limited to 74 minutes? An unusual number, I always thought. That's the time it takes to listen to all of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. Go figure. Now it's 80 minutes and I don't know what fits on that to the minute.

Back
Top Bottom