Using iPhone or iPad as source through ca 840c

mikeyax

can anyone help me figure this one out?
I want to use my iPad or iPhone as a digital source and run it through my CA 840c dac.
What do I need to do this??

Thanks guys!

Easiest way is to hook up a Airplay receiver like a Airport Express or GGMM M-Freebox with optical to the CA 840.

Then just stream content from your phone via Airplay.
As both devices also have built in DAC's you could even skip the CA 840 alltogether and just use Analog from the Airport to your Amp.
Gives you the option to see what you prefer. And the flexibility to just move the Airplay receiver to another system if you wish.

Eric

Ps. It doesn't look like I can connect the airport express to my 840c. My 840c only has optical and spdif connections.

Attachments

• IMG_0952.PNG
    IMG_0952.PNG
    107.3 KB · Views: 4
Just wondering if the streaming route is going to ruin me for cds. I love playing CDs, but am worried it will spoil me.

Just wondering if the streaming route is going to ruin me for cds. I love playing CDs, but am worried it will spoil me.
I rarely pick up a CD these days, so it has "ruined" me....if getting straight to the music and having more control and more of it... without digging through my CD towers, opening up my cabinet, popping out the loading tray, and putting in the CD and waiting for music to play is being "ruined". I still buy the occasional collectable boxed set, but it has been a while and usually I rip those straight to my hard drives, so playing CDs directly doesn't happen much lately. I am more likely to put on vinyl if I am feeling nostalgic.

I rarely pick up a CD these days, so it has "ruined" me..
X2......:)

You also have your rips matched to Apple Music yes? Wonder then how often you actually access your "stored" rips? I'm thinkin' that yer "uploaded" rips are clouded (for all intents) for backup. :D

X2......:)

You also have your rips matched to Apple Music yes? Wonder then how often you actually access your "stored" rips? I'm thinkin' that yer "uploaded" rips are clouded (for all intents) for backup. :D
I rarely even touch the local music even though it is lossless unless I am planning to do nothing but listen over headphones. I listen to Apple Music (including my matched albums) about 90 percent of the time, Amazon Prime Music 5 percent, and my own local tracks about 4.5 percent. I listen to vinyl about .5 percent ( these are wild guesses, but close enough).

I haven't touched my SACDs or DVD-As in a while. Just got a new vehicle that is supposed to support DVD-A, so I may throw one in there to see how it sounds, but I am spoiled by streaming anything, anytime I want, so it is what it is. I should get out my Sinatra SACDs more often, though. I was so excited when they came out in that format, but I have only listened to them a couple times.

So I went and picked up an airport express and an optical cable.

Hooked them up, but as I was streaming, I kept getting really bad digital noises.
So back they went.
I'm sticking to cds and vinyl.
Much more personal anyway.

Thanks guys!

So I went and picked up an airport express and an optical cable.

Hooked them up, but as I was streaming, I kept getting really bad digital noises.
So back they went.
I'm sticking to cds and vinyl.
Much more personal anyway.

Thanks guys!
It sounds like a ground loop issue that I have read about elsewhere. AirPlay is bit perfect with 16/44.1, but many things can screw it up..bad wifi, bad optical cable, bad input on the device it is plugged into, etc.

Typically, bad wifi, which is most common, leads to drop outs rather than digital noises, so it sounds more like a ground loop issue... though it could be one of the other issues I mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom