USPS weird shipping route

Discussion in 'Packing & Shipping' started by tyttuut, Feb 7, 2019.

1. tyttuut

tyttuut Member

This is a relatively minor occurrence, but amusing nonetheless.

I ordered a cassette from a dude in Shelbyville, MI. I live in Cincinnati, OH. Lots of shipping delays due to polar vortex, etc etc.

So of course, they decide that the most logical route is to take the package from eastern Michigan to Pittsburgh, PA. Basically crossing the entire state of Ohio for no good reason. Then, presumably, it'll go back southwest to Cincy. :dunno:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Ohighway

Ohighway Wannabe Minimalist Subscriber

Can't remember the specific locations but, yeah, I've had that happen a lot lately. Package starts at one spot, passes right by me to another destination, then reverses and finally gets delivered to me. I'd imagine there's some reason for it. Darned if I can figure out what it is though.

3. danomar

danomar AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have you beat: Some vinyl I ordered from Japan came to Georgia, went around several cities (but not mine), went to Hawaii, and eventually came made it to my door.

I sympathize with the USPS. They manage to get mail and parcels where they need to be at a very high success rate and do it consistently, but recent experiences for me have been... Mixed.

4. 70's Rockfan

70's Rockfan Member

All parcel post packages go through PA. that's the parcel post hub for this region.

olson_jr likes this.
  5. Duane

Duane AK Member Subscriber

I ordered a stylus for my stepdaughter a few weeks back from LP Gear. They're in Henderson, NV, we're in San Diego. It was shipped to Ft. Worth and then to SD. First time ever that anything from LP Gear was sent east.

6. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

shipping algorithms vary all over the place.

USPS, UPS, Fedex (transportation only) all have radically different algorithms.
    the famous one is Fedex, ship everything to a central site, sort, and then send
    to the final destination.

take today's online sales (amazon, wlamart, etc) with their warehouses, shipping
    initially with UPS/Fedex then last-mile delivery using USPS, etvc

calls for better (modern) algorithms.

and shipping in the "wrong" direction?

standard and explainable if you know what and how they do it.

olson_jr likes this.

7. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yeah ,
    I've seen that too . Not just USPS.
    Several states out of the way.
    I think I contacted an EBay seller once and asked if perhaps he used the wrong shipping address because my item went halfway across the country in the wrong direction before it finally made its way towards me.

I'm thinking regional sorting hubs:idea:

8. Bob

one of the most "tricky" programming problems is airline scheduling, next up
    is the transportation problem.

no simple tricks. you order goods, seller figures out which warehouse, shortest distance,
    routing (warehouse to shipping based on minimizing shipping delays and using lowest
    latency delivery), then last mile via UPS or hand-off to USPS.

if it was only USPS (end to end) then yes, a regional hub issue that's been standardized,
    tuned, and working for decades. not so easy with Prime 2-day delivery and Sundays.
    it may also be a last minute decision to route through UPS first depending on loads, etc

9. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

Conveyor belts in the sky . As an airline passanger, rarely are the direct routes the cheapest. Filling seats is what it's all about,and I suspect it goes for the mail routes as well.

Live air traffic :
    https://www.flightradar24.com/39.32,-83.9/5

olson_jr likes this.
  10. Bob

passenger and goods using airlines have radically different features and results.

it's the non-stops that cost the most, direct can mean a stop (stay on the plane),
    a plane switch (deplaning, running through multiple terminals), a connecting flight
    (deplaning, running through different airline terminals, and going through security
    again even though you are air side), and using code-shares means not even the
    airline you think is operating the flight.

a package may be routed to a hub that's out-of-the-way but it has more load capacity,
    more flights (or a last-possible-minute flight), to the next stop. and repeated until
    the final mile (and this, too, is optimized)

there's an entire engineering discipline called linear programming that also deals
    with optimization that's needed here. along with the other optimization practices,
    these guys make more money than the professional C++ programmers
    and with lifetime employment almost matching the SQL, Cobol, and Fortran
    programmers.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    olson_jr likes this.
  11. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

Same principle. :whip:

Mikelodian and Wildcat like this.

12. Lo-Fidelity

Lo-Fidelity AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sent a package from Texas to South Carolina.

Via Puerto Rico

13. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " F-15 Eagle Keeper Subscriber

Government ran healthcare......

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Lo-Fidelity likes this.
  14. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 AK Subscriber Subscriber

To the OP. How was this cassette sent? Media Mail?

15. SoCal Sam

SoCal Sam Lunatic Member

Sometimes the route number on the postage label is wrong. I chased a package for three days before I was able catch up with it and pick it up.

16. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr Omelette au Fromage Subscriber

^^ I was wondering if the high speed address readers and bar code scanners ever make mistakes reading states or zip codes, and actually route things wrong. They are certainly using more automation as time goes on (and less human intervention), and going faster and faster too. Superimposed on top of hub routing, that could look pretty weird.