V-DAC or Maverick Tube Magic

Tang Tonic

Greetings,
I am in the process of setting up a nice little system for my family and I. The plan is to stream music from my pc laptop to an airport express using mediamonkey software combined with airfoil. The airport express will be connected to a DAC via optical and then RCA out to my concept 11.0 receiver and then on to my Klipsch KG4 speakers. I am still waiting on my receiver to get here so in the meantime I am contemplating which DAC to get.
All the reviews of the V-DAC seem to be very good. The Maverick Tube Magic seems to have more mixed reviews. Right now I am leaning towards the maverick for the following: I have the option to listen to solid state or tube (plus I can start tube rolling which sounds like fun), multiple connections so I can hook up my DVD player, airport express, and future things like maybe a ROKU, and its about $100 less than the V-DAC. Also from the reviews of my speakers (I haven't heard them yet since I don't have a receiver) it seems that they sound better with tubes. Not sure if a tube DAC quilifies though.
Any help or input on this matter would be appreciated. I listen to all kinds of music but a lot of the stuff I like (reggae, dub, calypso) has heavy bass lines. However, I also like classic rock, blues, jazz, classical, and pretty much anything that has good rythm and harmony.
On a side note, the sPeakers will be about 5 feet away of receiver. Would it be better to use 12 or 14 gauge wire for the best sound quality. And which RCA cords are recommended. I like the stuff at monoprice.com but would like some additional opinions.

Thanks for the help!

I like my Maverick. Got cables from monoprice and they are heavy duty (well made) fast and cheap. Monoprice was having problems with identity theft in May so I would ensure they have fixed their security. They claim to have resolved this but caused me some grief.
In my mind Maverick is cheap enough to risk.

Do you plan on hiding the DAC or keeping it on display? The V-Dac is probably better off being hidden. It has cables coming out of the front and the back, so it is not the most aesthetically pleasing. Bluejean cables also has reasonably priced cables.

Back
Top Bottom