V ger 1: 16 hours, 38 minutes

tybrad

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Well, Voyager 1's data now takes this long to reach us. It continues after it has sailed through the asymmetrical termination shock, is currently in the heliosheath and looking for signs of the heliopause. V1 continues to astound with its tirelessness and wealth of information.

Beginning last June, was within the heliosheath- the area where outgoing flows of solar wind begin to be repelled by interstellar particles and magnetic fields pushing towards the solar system. While passing through the heliosheath, Voyager 1 experienced many sudden and drastic changes in the surrounding magnetic field driven by structures called current sheets from the interacting helio and interstellar plasma flows. Here is a graphic of the solar current sheet out to Jupiter- it spirals out into space as the sun rotates (easy explanation).

Heliospheric-current-sheet_edit.jpg

In December, Voyager 1 had reached a distant point at the edge of our solar system where there is no outward motion of solar wind.

It was announced this past Friday that the point of interstellar space (the heliopause) is in need of recalculation- V1 is passing markers earlier than previously thought. The thinking now is that this point is 11-14 billion miles out and since Voyager 1 is already at 11 billion miles out, it could cross into interstellar space at any time; Voyager 1's heliocentric velocity is about a billion miles every three years.

Voyager-1-Finds-Mayhem-in-the-Heliopause-2.jpg

missionImage_top.jpg

Here is a good kitchen sink analogy to what is going on here although beyond the end of the teal line is where the analogy fails as there is no inward water flow from the "interstellar medium" so the dynamics would be different. V1 would be a bit beyond the end of that teal line right now.

Termination_shock_in_sink.jpg

Very cool stuff from humanity's scientific endeavors!

Yours cosmically,
Tyler

Last edited:
I got up this morning feeling pretty good about myself and then read this.
I still feel pretty good about myself but now I feel a whole lot smaller........

How long until the Klingons blast it for target practice? Oh, wait, or is that how long until it becomes V'ger??

Last edited:
G'day all, fascinating and literally mind blowing stuff. :yes: I wish that could make my DIY electronics that reliable! :yes: Regards, Felix aka catman.

That thing has outlived its design useful life by at least a few orders of magnitude by now. Amazing.

So when whatever alien eventually snatches this thing, they will know "made in America" stands for quality!

Very cool. I wish I knew more about this so I could carry on intellegent conversations about the transition from the solar system to interstellar space.

-D

Very nice illustrations - some terminology in there that I hadn't heard of. :thmbsp:

"You learn a new thing every day" :yes:

:tresbon:

I am sorry- I did not make clear about the distance scale in this image

Voyager-1-Finds-Mayhem-in-the-Heliopause-2.jpg

It is a logarithmic scale. Earth is at 1 Astronomical Unit from the sun. It shows that Saturn is at 10AU's but on a linear scale, that would be 10x further to the right (off of your screen). Voyager is about 120AU's which would put it 120x further to the right in the diagram than Earth's position (way, way off of the diagram). Log scaling masks the immensity of this!

Yours in linearity,
Tyler

Last edited:
That thing was launched, what, 1976? How in the world does it still transmit? It must have to soler-charge batteries for a couple months to send one data burst. Or does it have a nukey thermoelectric power supply?

Nuclear powered. Supposedly the cells will keep parts of it running until 2025, if other breakdowns don't intervene.

That thing was launched, what, 1976? How in the world does it still transmit? It must have to soler-charge batteries for a couple months to send one data burst. Or does it have a nukey thermoelectric power supply?
September '77. You're correct- it carries a radioisotope thermoelectric generator using Plutonium-238 oxide spheres. Current estimates give its power another 12-13yrs. before going "dark".

Interestingly, Voy2 was launched three weeks earlier but is less distant due to its Uranus and Neptune encounters. Voy1 headed "north", or upward, out of the solar system's ecliptic plane after the Saturn encounter.

September '77. You're correct- it carries a radioisotope thermoelectric generator using Plutonium-238 oxide spheres. Current estimates give its power another 12-13yrs. before going "dark".

Interestingly, Voy2 was launched three weeks earlier but is less distant due to its Uranus and Neptune encounters. Voy1 headed "north", or upward, out of the solar system's ecliptic plane after the Saturn encounter.

Thanks...I worked with those pellets at Los Alamos as a summer intern, 1982-85. I was gonna call it an RTG but assumed (wrongly) that was too obscure. You are a true space geek. :D

Funfact:

The tape recorder aboard each Voyager has been designed to record and playback a great deal of scientific data. The tape head should not begin to wear out until the tape has been moved back and forth through a distance comparable to that across the United States. Imagine playing a two-hour video cassette on your home VCR once a day for the next 33 years, without a failure.

Yours, in longevity,
Tyler

EDIT: JUST REALIZED TITLE UNITS ARE WRONG-- damn!:
Should read 16 hours, 38 mins-- and that's at the speed of light (186,000 miles/sec.)

Last edited:
Tybrad...gotta say I love a couple of your recent threads. I'm not great at physics or knowlegable about space or anything...but I like thinking about that sort of stuff quite a bit:yes:

The Voyager is truly amazing, whats even more amazing is how we are still learning from it, and how much more is out there. It really boggles the mind to think of all the discoveries made in the last few decades.

By the way, a two-hour VHS played for about 33years...well, if I kept up from my childhood, i'm pretty sure my copy of "101 Dalmatians" would be alright:D not sure about the player itself though! how would they even make a mechanical system so reliable...let alone a magnetic tape.

Back
Top Bottom