Valhalla 2 preamp: Full size listening or desktop only?

Popcancontro

Just got a Magni 3 and am already considering upgrading to Valhalla 2 for headphones. I do most of my listening in the living (listening) room and switch back and forth between headphones and speakers. My proton preamp is starting to get squirrelly and was thinking about moving on. Question is, does the preamp on the Valhalla deliver enough to use in a living room setup as a preamp? I know it only has one input, but I'm not to concerned by that. Setup is either macbook> line out on a fiio q5 (desktop dac is next, I know)>proton P 2000>Carver M500t> Elac UB5 or it begins with Uturn table with ortofon blue cartridge>Schitt Mani> proton...etc. I would like to insert the Valhalla as the preamp and run from there for both headphones and powered speakers. On the schitt site, it always references using it as a desktop setup, but this would be a hair more and am concerned it wouldn't deliver. Any first hand experiences/thoughts? Thanks!

Probably so. I've used my Lyr as a preamp along with a SYS to switch sources or to switch the output of the Lyr. Super clean and satisfying tube warmth.

I've used my Valhalla 2 in some very novel ways over the last couple of years. I had it running between my UA Apollo computer audio interface and a pair of Focal Studio Monitors. I used it between my turntable and home theater amp to add some tube mojo (after the phono pre of course). I used to to record an acoustic guitar directly to my computer with the Valhalla adding some tube warmth to the direct signal. I even ran an entire mix through it and back into my computer to see if it would enhance the digital recording. No problems. Still use it every night when I climb into bed. At 3:15 AM, I wake up and carefully turn it and the Schiit Modi 2 Über off without burning my wrists on the hot tubes. Best of all, it sounds amazing with my 600 ohm Byerdynamic DT880's and my Byer DT 1990's. So, yeah, it will probably work.

I used one as a preamp in my studio for a while. Worked really well with powered speakers and with a Dynaco tube amp. I liked it.

Don't let the "desktop" designation influence your opinion of it--that is more "marketing-speak" regarding its size, not its performance. Just because it is not a standard "rack size" has nothing to do with how it sounds. Open up any modern full size preamp of comparable quality, and (other than perhaps multiple input options), there isn't going to be much more in there--just a bigger case.

I've used a Magni 2u and a Nuforce headphone-amp/preamp in my main rig temporarily when between main preamps. SQ was very good with both. Very good indeed. I think maybe it is the relative simplicity of their circuitry that works to advantage.

I have my Valhalla in my main system. I admit I am not using it as a preamp since I have an integrated amp in the system, but I did hook it up that way to test it for fun once. It worked well in that situation.

Back
Top Bottom