Value???

LPD

Ok heres the dilemma...how does one value a TT. I have an Oracle Delphi Mark 1 with a Syrinx PU3 tonearm and a Koetsu Black Cartridge. Now I understand cosmetics is a large portion of evaluation, but how do I determine what this unit is worth? The TT was $1100.00 US new in 80's tonearm was $700.00 US and cartridge is $1500.00. Any ideas...

BTW the Oracle I have in my collection has a SME 4 arm and a Koetsu Rosewood Platinum valued at $3500.00 US new!!!

Hey LPD as far as I'm concerned its worth is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If maximizing profit is the goal you'll need to sell all 3 pieces seperately.

Mike

The Problem with valuing a Cartridge is you have no idea how it was treated or how many hours were put on it. Just because some was supposed to be a " audiofool" does not mean they treated their TT cart with the love they needed.

Have you seen what it cost to have a Koetsu retipped ?? You can be in for a heart attach !

Oracles usually sell ok on epay. Honestly I have never seen many series I's before tho. My guess is its less then the 650-900 the newer series sell for.

Sorry never heard of the arm but keep in mind that just cause it cost mega bucks back then it ain't worth it now.

Vintage Turntables, Tonearms and Cartridges are some of the few things that are not necessarily better dollar for dollar compared to newer one which ARE much better.

Oracles are real screwy. People pay way to much for what you get sound wise. They are bought for their looks.

like mike said its worth what someone is willing to pay and how you present it can make a difference. IMO I would keep the components all together unless someone makes you a large offer for them individually.

Couple of other things to keep in mind is shipping has got to suck on the oracles. I think one of the AK members bought one Ebay and it was poorly packaged. Well its not like you can call oracle for parts for the older ones. Oracle has changed hands so many times they have forgotten where they came from and do not support their older tables. Lastly I heard that if the springs were missadjusted on them the bottom plates can warp pretty bad. make sure yours is in good shape or denote it. Aim for a local sale and save the hassle of of shipping damage.

Grumpy

I got offered $1275 Canadian for the unit. The fellow lives in Winnipeg so its not a far travel for the unit. I have one other fellow dropping a bid and we will see.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom