fink lever

Hi all and merry christmas!!!

I currently have an unusual custom vintage hi fi cabinet that i would love to get up and running.
Looking at the unit it seems to be a 'Main Amplifier, an AM Radio Amplifier and FM Amplifier.' Lots of valves and transformers and not built for power but detail as it seems to have 2 voltage stabiliser valves which i have not come across...

I have replaced a few broken valves but need to figure out some other missing valves. If anybody here can understand the setup as i have had a few valve amplifiers that i can figure out but this ones beyond me.

'I have been told it could be a Williamson Circuit but i am not sure = any help or advice would be great!!!

Here is the pic inside the cabinet!

IMG_20171216_203627.jpg IMG_20171216_203749.jpg Main Amplifier:
Za5??6
6v6g
5v4g
6l6gt
6j5g x 2
Vt115a
Vs110
S130
Japan valve? unkown but working

AM amplifier:
EF37
ECH35
EC33
L63
6C5
VT87
Magic eye valve
1 valve missing (power valve)
1 valve missing with cap

FM Amplifier:
All Complete

Last edited:
European or British. Philips bagged the speakers, almost a trademark. That speaker driver is British Goodmans. French and some Belgian mfgrs used the American octal tubeset, Philips had their own proprietary sidepin contact tubeset in this era licenced to other mfgrs. I see few British sets here outside of established hi fi era makes. This looks British origin, in spite of the absence of typical stingy design of pre hi fi nature of Brit consumer gear due to valve tax. Seems built by an expert Craftsman.

Last edited:
The mix of 6V6 and 6L6 on the amp/ power supply chassis concerns me here, if P/P, there should be a pair of one or the other type.
Original electrolytic caps are suspect for failure, as are small tubular caps, particularly Hunts branded.

Last edited:
The mix of 6V6 and 6L6 on the amp/ power supply chassis concerns me here, if P/P, there should be a pair of one or the other type.
Original electrolytic caps are suspect for failure, as are small tubular caps, particularly Hunts branded.

There is no 6L6 valve tube...It seems that the amplifier is single ended with only one power valve which is the VT-115A or KT66 etc). The guy that made this amplifier was a genius, he was in the RAF during WW11 and created many audio appliances which are pretty amazing. I have a few other bits of his as he passed away recently aged 93. I am sure once setup, this amplifier will be stunning as i know his other stuff is of the highest quality.

I've seen pentodes used as voltage regulators, not uncommon at all with the 6L6. 6A5 if that's what you have is odd, as that's close to a 6A3 (2A3 with 6v fil.). If you're hearing some single ended through British drivers for the first time, I would expect you to be hearing maybe some detail you hadn't noticed before. I remember (will never forget) the first time I ever heard a SET amp, it's really something, and that looks like good stuff you got there. Can you sort of look at the circuit and give us an idea of how many output TXs, chokes, power TXs etc... You have good pics there, but sometimes just a brief layman's description helps me. Maybe a couple pics from further out so we can get the "big" picture, this thing is really interesting to me. I think you really found something worth saving there, and that's from someone who has sawed up a bunch of consoles for the burn barrel.

Good advice on the capacitors, and if you think it sounds good now, just wait until you get done replacing those caps, it will really bring it back to life. I don't think you need anything too fancy for coupling, maybe some 716P orange jobs from AES, and they will likely have your lytics too.

OK guys! I have managed to get some more pics for you! - thank you also for your input i really appreciate it!

IMG_20171227_200518.jpeg IMG_20171227_200605.jpeg IMG_20171227_200927.jpeg IMG_20171227_200938_01.jpeg IMG_20171227_200958.jpeg IMG_20171227_201037.jpeg IMG_20171227_201108.jpeg IMG_20171227_201112.jpeg IMG_20171227_201140.jpeg IMG_20171227_201207.jpeg

Last edited:
I've seen pentodes used as voltage regulators, not uncommon at all with the 6L6. 6A5 if that's what you have is odd, as that's close to a 6A3 (2A3 with 6v fil.). If you're hearing some single ended through British drivers for the first time, I would expect you to be hearing maybe some detail you hadn't noticed before. I remember (will never forget) the first time I ever heard a SET amp, it's really something, and that looks like good stuff you got there. Can you sort of look at the circuit and give us an idea of how many output TXs, chokes, power TXs etc... You have good pics there, but sometimes just a brief layman's description helps me. Maybe a couple pics from further out so we can get the "big" picture, this thing is really interesting to me. I think you really found something worth saving there, and that's from someone who has sawed up a bunch of consoles for the burn barrel.

The Amplifier is linked to an AM radio amplifier and an FM amplifier with two Goodmans Alnico Speakers, one 12" the other 8".
The FM amplifier seems fine and all valves light.
The AM amplifier is missing its power valve and another valve with a cap which i do not know what it is. It seems the other missing valve must be a power valve like KT66 /VT115a (maybe i am wrong).
The main amplifier setup seems unusual to me... looking at it from top it i have 10 valves which could be seen to be in a 3 x 3 x 4 formation ZA5??6, 5V4G, 6J5G... 6V6G, 6L6GT, 6J5G...The last 3 are the VT115A, VS110 (S130) X 2 AND a valve i can't identify but is a 5pin japanese valve rectifier.

The AM amplifier has an audio jack out? which i do not know what for?

The turntable, radios and amplifier are all connected and it is also big brother to a custom weareside reel to reel that also connects.

I will take some more pics of the cabinet top.

European or British. Philips bagged the speakers, almost a trademark. That speaker driver is British Goodmans. French and some Belgian mfgrs used the American octal tubeset, Philips had their own proprietary sidepin contact tubeset in this era licenced to other mfgrs. I see few British sets here outside of established hi fi era makes. This looks British origin, in spite of the absence of typical stingy design of pre hi fi nature of Brit consumer gear due to valve tax. Seems built by an expert Craftsman.

The Amplifier was built by an amazing guy. It can be removed from the cabinet with one turn of a knob. The AM amplifier once the top is adjusted can also be removed with ease. The cabinet also has headphone output from the outer casing and the cabinet has wheels!!!.

Seriously though, I have never seen a build like it. He had a Pye PF91 and a Lowther Custom Valve Amplifier, and a Tannoy and they were all in the Attic. This cabinet was his pride and joy so i really am looking to keep it in the family for a while but first i need to make it tick and then set my Neat turntable and set it up for a listen... Also i think i need some help with the wireless side of it as it would need alingnment again.

The AM/FM chassis are just called straight tuners if they contain no power amplifier output sections to drive speakers on their own.

Sorry, regarding the main power amp, I know what the 6J5 and rectifier tubes are. VS or VT are most likely not tube numbers. I was thinking that the way the output tubes are layed out on that chassis that the channels must be grossly mismatched with the different size output transformers, or is this a stereo amp? Mono amp? Mono bi-amp?

The AM/FM chassis are just called straight tuners if they contain no power amplifier output sections to drive speakers on their own.

Sorry, regarding the main power amp, I know what the 6J5 and rectifier tubes are. VS or VT are most likely not tube numbers. I was thinking that the way the output tubes are layed out on that chassis that the channels must be grossly mismatched with the different size output transformers, or is this a stereo amp? Mono amp? Mono bi-amp?
The VS and VT are military spec valves (voltage regulators). This amplifier has also puzzled me too as I know the amplifier can switch to each speaker. I thought it was a stereo but I think it a mono of some sort maybe a mono parallel SET type. I do not think it is a standard circuit as I know the maker created and customised amplifiers and was an audio expert of the highest degree.

The FM doesn't seem to have a power valve but the AM I think has One which is missing.

VT115A is a military designation for a 6L6GC I believe.
VS110 is basically an OC3, or OD3, the data is here.
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0149.htm
I have an amp that is like this in that an old guru obviously took his time with and I think it was probably his pride and joy. Do you have the Tannoy, Lowther and other stuff?

Edit; oops, we posted the same stuff, sorry about that.

One thing that jumps out at me is his use of wire wounds? I wonder why, as a couple look to be of low wattage, so you wouldn't think he'd want the inductance, depending on what they are doing? I can't really think of anywhere you would want inductance on a tube? I bet those stabiliser tubes look cool when they fire off.

VT115A is a military designation for a 6L6GC I believe.
VS110 is basically an OC3, or OD3, the data is here.
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0149.htm
I have an amp that is like this in that an old guru obviously took his time with and I think it was probably his pride and joy. Do you have the Tannoy, Lowther and other stuff?

Edit; oops, we posted the same stuff, sorry about that.
I have the Tannoy and Pye too. These I will be selling soon. The Lowther was sold to the museum but I kept the VR40 valves (px25). Yes this guy knew his stuff and more, I hope we all learn something from his setup.

I have the Tannoy and Pye too. These I will be selling soon. The Lowther was sold to the museum but I kept the VR40 valves (px25). Yes this guy knew his stuff and more, I hope we all learn something from his setup.
The stabilizers don't seem to light up or the power valve so I know there is an issue somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom