Van Morrison ~ Magic Time ~

Artist - Van Morrison
Title - Magic Time
Release - 2005
Label - Exile Music/Geffen Records
Genre - Jazzy Blues, a bit of Celtic Folk

Today on the internet ray-dee-oh I heard a tune by Van Morrison. The song had his signature smooth vocals accompanied by a sweet sounding alto sax. I had to get it. I knew he had put out a couple of albums in the last couple of years. What I didn't know was how regularly since 1967. That blew my mind!

I think the last one I bought was Wavelength in 1978. Which seemed like a period of transition. Any ways 31 years later I bought another new Van Morrison album (CD). Magic Time (2005).

On this album he's mellowed out like a good bourbon. It doesn't have the youthful vigor of Moondance or Tupelo Honey. But it still has impact and he doesn't sound like he is going to retire any time soon. His voice is still silky smooth. Some songs have a hint of Sinatra, on one he sounds like a playful Louis Armstrong. He also goes back to his roots and does a number of songs with Celtic influences. And on some songs it's just classic Van.

Good stuff!

Attachments

• Magic_time.jpg
    Magic_time.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 4
I never could get into "Magic Time" and made a few Van fans mad with my review of it on Amazon, but sometimes it is all about one's frame of mind when listening, I suppose.

I never could get into "Magic Time" and made a few Van fans mad with my review of it on Amazon, but sometimes it is all about one's frame of mind when listening, I suppose.

So YOU'RE the one!

My mother's a big Van The Man fan, and she has this CD. I still haven't heard it because I was always fearful of his new stuff - I was always worried that his voice had changed a lot as he got older (which has been death for many artists). But recently I've realized that he's still got a lot of soul left in him. Kind of like Elvis Costello (another one who's still got it).

My favorite Van performance is his live version of "Caravan" from The Band's "The Last Waltz" CD/DVD. He was already over 10 years into his career, and he was still able to belt it out like that. He's one dude that's definitely "got soul" (pun intended).

Last edited:
A friend bought this CD for me when it came out and I have enjoyed it ever since.

Thanks for the review,

Dennie

Back
Top Bottom