Vellum paper in Marantz 2252B?

Captain581

I recently bought a 2252B that had super-electric blue LEDs installed. Too bright - not pretty. I took it to my tech to have it returned closer to normal using warm LEDs, which he did. Now it does have proper color tone, but the dark & bright areas on the dial are extremely pronounced. There appears to be no diffusing of the light.

I'm thinking that the vellum paper needs replacing, but I'm wondering if the 'B' series even uses vellum like the 22xx series does?

Anybody know??

All "B" models are not the same. I can't remember what was in my 2252B and or 2238B. Open it up and take a look. I do remember the dispersion of light wasn't all that even. There were dark spots on the ends of the tuner.

Marantz_2252Bsm.jpg

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

I've had old vellum replaced in a few 2270s with excellent results, but thought that this rather quaint method of light diffusion may have been super-ceded with something more robust & efficient by 1978. Yes OPix, dark spots are are the dial's extremities; very bright spots are 88, 94 &104 on the dial.

As long as there's vellum in it to be replaced, it should be 'fixable' then.

I prefer the art paper "Opalux" made by Canson. Look for it at your local crafts stores. It won't yellow.

OK Randy, I'll bite. I just ordered several sheets of Opalux. You've mentioned it before. The 48# vellum I've been using is acid free and supposed to not yellow. But I'm mostly curious to see the diffusion that the 110# Opalux gives.

Parchment baking paper from the grocery store baking isle, folded over once makes good diffuser paper.

Hi Stereofisher. For years I loathed the look of LEDs in Marantz receivers, until last year when I went to my techs to pick up a unit he'd worked on for me.

On his desk, he had just finished up someone's 2245 and installed LEDs he said were designed to look like the original Marantz lights. The unit looked fabulous - nothing like the evil purple glowing things I was used to seeing. They weren't too bright either, which was important to me.

That's when I changed my mind about how good LEDs can look in a Marantz restoration. I swapped out the fuse lamps in my 2270 and 2230 for these 'new' LEDs (maybe they've been around for a while, dunno), and couldn't be happier with the results.The benefits of longevity and no heat are just the icing on the cake.

...s'what I'm talking about SF! That looks great.

That 2240 looks uniformly lit, the colour tone is right-on and the overall effect is NOT at all radio-active! It is the way to go.

It's the technical name for the original product.

Vellum is prepared animal skin or "membrane" used as a material for writing on. The term is derived from the Latin word vitulinum meaning "made from calf", leading to Old French velin for "calfskin". Parchment is another term for this material category. Wikipedia

Back
Top Bottom