Very Interest show on YouTube: Crossing the Atlantic in a Cessna

Discussion in 'Movies & Television' started by transmaster, Oct 22, 2017.

1. transmaster

transmaster AK Subscriber Subscriber

A trio of adventures decide to fly a Cessna 210 to Austria. The Cessna 210 has been modified with extra fuel capacity. They are not doing a Lindberg direct fly but instead are hop skipping North from the US, up the east coast of Canada, across to Greenland, then Iceland, etc. stopping along the way for fuel and rest. They are into their second episode and have made it as far a Nuuk, Greenland.

John James likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Lucifigus

Lucifigus AK Subscriber Subscriber

Many years ago I lived in Iqaluit (formerly Frobisher Bay) on southern Baffin Island. Frobisher Bay formed around a US cold war base and a long runway, built just after the second world war. There was a lot of trans Atlantic air traffic that stopped in for fuel. One evening I was dining in a restaurant with a friend and struck up conversation with two fellows at the next table. They were each ferrying a single engine plane to Europe via Frobisher Bay, Greenland and onward. I don't recall the particular airplanes they were flying, but this was what they did for a living and the conversation was most interesting.

jt01 and transmaster like this.
  3. jt01

jt01 AK Subscriber Subscriber

While planning a visit to Toronto in 1978, I happened upon an overnight air excursion trip from Toronto to Frobisher Bay - leave Toronto at 7 PM, 3 1/2 hours in the air to Frobisher Bay, Tour FB, etc until 4 AM - back to Toronto at 7 AM. Decided to do it, so on my 25th birthday - Friday, June 9, 1978 - I arrived in Frobisher Bay. If I give details, the story may be too long for this forum, but after driving to the train station in Sarnia, ON to catch the 8 AM train, getting to a hotel in Toronto, catching a ride to the airport, flight leaves at 7 PM, touring Frobisher Bay until 4 AM, I was almost hallucinating from fatigue. Slept for about half the return flight and was alert enough to get back to my Toronto hotel where I got a few hours sleep. Anyway, my question is: Were you in Frobisher Bay on June 9, 1978?

4. Lucifigus

Lucifigus AK Subscriber Subscriber

No, I didn't move there until 1986. I do recall that on the summer solstice, about three B-737 or equivalent planes spending the night on the tarmac while the passengers toured town and environs as you describe. Many shops and the museum were open all night to accommodate the tourists. This was an annual event for a number of years.