Vintage 1973 GMC Canyon Lands Motorhome

Old quirky stuff does need a special someone to be it's caretaker. Sounds like this guy really knows the machine, probably why he has been able to own it for so long. Its been my experience that if you own something few others do, you need to become your own expert even if you don't turn all the wrenches yourself.

It satisfies my vintage auto bug and RV bug in one

I stand a much better chance at maintaining a vintage machine than I would with a new block-of-plastic-faring-under-the-hood type

and of course, this is all under a budget of 10k

Last edited:
A friend of mine owns a RevCon, which is sort of the next generation of the GM coach. His was made after GM dropped the 455/TH425 package so it has a Chevy 454 and I think a TH455, which is the the extra heavy duty TH400. Behind the RWD trans is what amounts to half of a 4x4 transfer case with only a front output and a short driveshaft to some massive Dana front axle. FWD with what are normally a mix of RWD and 4x4 parts. His is not air suspension though. The rear twin axles are leaf sprung with a rocker beam between them, same as you'd find on a dual axle trailer.

I honestly had no idea the GM ones were air sprung. Is that front and back ?

Air bags in the rear, torsion bars in the front.

GMC owners stick together. A couple of years ago we were in a campground in Duluth and there was a couple there with a broken down GMC, the trans as I recall. Fellow GMC fans helped with parts and came from as far as a couple of states away to help the guy fix the coach, there were half a dozen people involved.

Can't speak of the motor home, but I did own a 68 Olds Toronado for a number of years. Never had a lick of problems with that drive-train.

I can vouch for the front wheel drive system that you shouldn't have any worries there. :thumbsup:

I can vouch for the front wheel drive system that you shouldn't have any worries there. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that vote of confidence on that drive train.

The Motorcoach is a six hour drive away

I am setting up for insurance and roadside assistance (knock on wood) if needed

My son and I will drive out and back in one day but we could hold over if needed

I want to travel during a weekday in case I need roadside assistance

Looks like on April 4th

Handy thing about that, you don't have to get a room anywhere if you decide to not do a turn and burn in one day. I'd honestly suggest not doing a 12 hour on the road day. I've done it but I'm not going to lie and tell you I was at 100% by the time I got to the end of the trip. When I drug the Continental home, it was a little over 7 each way. I spent the night at my friend's place after we got the car loaded up and I left to get back home whenever I woke up at early o'clock to use the bathroom. I figured I was already up and had a decent number of hours rest. Got home before dark.

First thing I 'm going to do it recap it. lol

I have these obsessions periodically. They aren't too bad

I think this one (the GMC) and a 70's BMW motorcycle to hitch on the back and I could be done with my "must have" bucket list

I like this Canyon Lands original retro 70's color scheme. Most have been remodeled to ikea standards

I put a deposit on it

Last edited:
DUI in these parts get you arrested for drunk driving. Driving Under the Influence. ;)
The State of Kansas changed DUI to DWI around 1985. DWI stands for 'driving while intoxicated'. I don't know why they switched it up.

Prior to (about) 1973, open containers of alcohol were legal in motor vehicles. My dad was bummed out when that law was passed.

Starting next month, 3.2 % beer will no longer be sold in Kansas. It will all be 5%.

The State of Kansas changed DUI to DWI around 1985. DWI stands for 'driving while intoxicated'. I don't know why they switched it up.

Prior to (about) 1973, open containers of alcohol were legal in motor vehicles. My dad was bummed out when that law was passed.
I think they've changed it to DWI here now, not sure. My Dad never went anywhere without a beer unless he was at work driving the bread truck.

I hear both terms used here in NJ, I don't honestly know which is the official correct name for it. I don't plan to ever find out from first hand experience either. I had to play chauffeur for my mother while she was on a state-mandated driving break and it was a PITA.

We had a 66 toronado ..
And my father would bring home these motorhomes in the 1970s and we would use them to go camping..
My father was a big shot at general motors.

I love them motorhomes the only thing they're missing is slide out technology like today's motorhomes...

I love the toronado drivetrain..
The last tornado my parents had was a 81 with the diesel GM was making..
I miss that car it Rode beautifully and I put many miles on it myself..
Wish my father would have kept the 66 and wish I would have kept the 81 I would have had both by now.

I follow the Vintage trailers and RVs for Sale thread on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/103713343327224/

There is some goofy stuff and off topic posts from time to time, but I have seen a GMC Canyonland RV with a cracked block posted there in MD recently ... They do come up.

I ran across an ad for them in the last 6 months - I did some research and found a collector's site and clubs
and a huge stack of brochures and all of that online! Very Cool stuff!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/25543922859622577/?lp=true

Or just google - GMC Motorhome RV

Good luck on your pursuit of one!

I don't understand how this behemoth had front wheel drive yet seemed stable and maneuverable?!

I believe one of the reasons was lower center of gravity. Most of the RWD motorhomes of the era were built like a school bus, essentially a box on top of a frame, driveline essentially underneath it all. These sit a lot lower, the wheels are tucked up into the cabin area. With no trans or anything underneath there aren't clearance issues. Also, assuming its built like the RevCon my friend owns, the framing of the body shell is aluminum rather than wood so its not so top heavy. Big bonus there, a small leak won't cause the wood to rot and turn to mush. Still not good of course but at least the structure doesn't immediately turn into "wet paper bag"

Back
Top Bottom